PDA

View Full Version : Tilt away tailstock for PM 3520

Earl Eyre
02-21-2006, 5:55 PM
Got tired of lifting that heavy tailstock on and off the lathe so built a tilt away based on Al Crandall's design. It works great. I haven't actually used it yet as I just finished it this afternoon but don't see any reason for it not working. His looks more professional being painted in matching mustard yellow so I may have to get some paint!

Earl

Bob Noles
02-21-2006, 6:07 PM
Earl,

That's a really slick idea. Thanks for sharing and passing it along.

Gary Max
02-21-2006, 6:24 PM
Earl that is very VERY cool. I have been thinking about how heavy and what a pain it is to remove the tail stock. This is on my have to build list.
Thank you much

Jim Dunn
02-21-2006, 6:37 PM
Earl that is another nice idea. Real neat execution in design and function. But I notice that you are indeed turning in the livingroom.

Bernie Weishapl
02-21-2006, 6:40 PM
Earl thanks. That is a great idea. It will be one my to do list.

Andy Hoyt
02-21-2006, 7:14 PM
That is really neat, Earl. I'm gonna remember this one.

And Jim is right, that floor is too cool!

Put's Vaughn McMillan's shag run to shame.

Chris Barton
02-21-2006, 9:42 PM
I don't know which came first, the chicken or the egg but, this lathe has this feature built in and this is the second time I have seen a homemade version.

http://www.turnrobust.com/Robust/Tilt_Away.htm

The only down side with the PM3520 and this set up would be if you want to do outboard turning since the rotating tailstock would be in the way. However, I haven't even tried outboard turning yet so it might not be an issue unless you turn that giant stuff that Gary M does. Get him to show you his cedar spindle...

Earl Eyre
02-21-2006, 9:47 PM
I don't know which came first, the chicken or the egg but, this lathe has this feature built in and this is the second time I have seen a homemade version.

http://www.turnrobust.com/Robust/Tilt_Away.htm

The only down side with the PM3520 and this set up would be if you want to do outboard turning since the rotating tailstock would be in the way. However, I haven't even tried outboard turning yet so it might not be an issue unless you turn that giant stuff that Gary M does. Get him to show you his cedar spindle...

I have sometimes thought about bigger turning because the lathe would certainly support it. But I can't find any wood that would be bigger than can be done over the ways. In any case it would only take removing three bolts to take the whole thing off the lathe.

The Robust lathe's tilt away is certainly one of the inspirations for this kind of tilt away.

Earl

Mike Ramsey
02-21-2006, 9:48 PM
Funny, I was just in my library(bathroom) and was reading an article
about that very thing..Good job on the shopmade tilt-a-whirl !

Andy Hoyt
02-21-2006, 9:51 PM
Chris - When i was researching my new lathe last year I looked very closely at the Robust stuff. Was very impressed, but the reason I shied away was simply because they're relatively new and I like to buy stuff with proven track records.