PDA

View Full Version : Large cherry and Maple burl Eye Candy

Garry Smith
02-21-2006, 3:19 PM
I have just aquired a large (about 3 foot accross) and not so large cherry burl and also a nice solid maple burl.

http://www.superwoodworks.com/Wood/LargeCherryBurl/Burls2Small.JPG

http://www.superwoodworks.com/Wood/LargeCherryBurl/Burls1Small.JPG

Jim Becker
02-21-2006, 3:20 PM
That first picture looks like the turner's version of Manny, Moe and Jack! (Nice haul...)

Keith Burns
02-21-2006, 3:37 PM
Or Larry, Moe and Currly:D You should be able to get a good size turning out of that:)

Garry Smith
02-21-2006, 3:46 PM
Or Larry, Moe and Currly:D You should be able to get a good size turning out of that:)

I have no intentions of turning something like this unless I cut it up. The large cherry must be 700 or more pounds. I don't know anyone that can handle a chunk of this size, do you?
Garry

John Hart
02-21-2006, 3:47 PM
Uh Garry....They're all covered with snow! You can't turn that. I'll clean 'em up for you and send 'em right back.;)

Chris Barton
02-21-2006, 3:50 PM
What a great wood gloat!

Garry Smith
02-21-2006, 3:50 PM
Uh Garry....They're all covered with snow! You can't turn that. I'll clean 'em up for you and send 'em right back.;)

If you think you can lift it John. Take the bark off while your at it, will ya?

Bill Stevener
02-21-2006, 3:57 PM
Garry, did you have a silencer on your chain saw?:eek:

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Garry Smith
02-21-2006, 4:12 PM
Garry, did you have a silencer on your chain saw?:eek:

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

No Bill these are legal. I have a friend thats a logger. When he finds something like this he brings to the shop and I buy it from him.

Bill Stevener
02-21-2006, 4:41 PM
I see, a burl poacher.:eek:
Just kidding, that sure is one nice looking burl gloat. Hope they turn out ok for ya.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Andy Hoyt
02-21-2006, 4:58 PM
..... I don't know anyone that can handle a chunk of this size, do you?Garry

I can think of................me.:D

Garry Smith
02-21-2006, 4:58 PM
I see, a burl poacher.:eek:
Just kidding, that sure is one nice looking burl gloat. Hope they turn out ok for ya.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Thanks Bill,
I have no idea at this time what I will do with them except I know when the snow goes this spring they had better be out of my wifes garden area.

Bernie Weishapl
02-21-2006, 5:01 PM
Great wood gloat Garry. Those ought to turn something pretty nice.

Bob Noles
02-21-2006, 5:48 PM
Uh Gary...... have you give any thought to a bigger lathe? :D

Man.... what a haul!

Gary Max
02-21-2006, 6:16 PM
Maybe cut it in half first-----then it would fit nicely on Bigg yeller

Gil Jones
02-21-2006, 6:38 PM
Looks like nice burls, but what is all that white stuff all over the place?

Jeff Singleton
02-21-2006, 8:19 PM
Gary, Nice haul indeed. If John Hart is going to clean them up for you he can travel 45 minutes south and turn them on my monster lathe and then he can ship them back to ya. Have fun.

Jeff Singleton

Corey Hallagan
02-21-2006, 8:27 PM
Awesome!

Corey

Jeff Singleton
02-22-2006, 7:43 AM
Gary, Nice looking stuff and great find. You know if John Hart offered to clean and debark the wonders of nature for you he may as well travel south just a little and come to my shop and turn them for you. How would you cut them up? I have never cut a big piece of burl like that and I am curious how you would cut it.

Crank up the lathe,
Jeff Singleton:D

Garry Smith
02-22-2006, 9:03 AM
Gary, Nice haul indeed. If John Hart is going to clean them up for you he can travel 45 minutes south and turn them on my monster lathe and then he can ship them back to ya. Have fun.

Jeff Singleton

For turning a piece like this, I hav no idea how it shout be cut. I do not have a large lathe and really have no plans at this time to buy one. Any ideas are welcome.

As far as John doing all that work for me ....Sounds like a great plan.

Garry

Paul Downes
02-23-2006, 8:08 PM
Hi Gary, I'm a yooper by marriage. My wife is from da 'oaton (Houghton) area. I also got a maple burl from my brother-in-law, who owns a logging company. I stuck it in the LDD bucket last summer and forgot about it. Tonight when I went to stick a piece of walnut in the bucket there was somthing lurking in the bottom........oops. It now has a rather dark cast to the wood and wasn't floating anymore. I'll dry it for a few weeks and chuck it up to see if it has any value. Maybe I've discovered a new process? Let me know if you ever need anything from troll land. We usually blow through your neck of the woods a couple of times per year.

Dennis Peacock
02-23-2006, 8:34 PM
I ain't never seen "white" cherry bark before. Must be purdy rare. :p :rolleyes:

Nice haul and nice find!!!!

Garry Smith
02-23-2006, 9:43 PM
Hi Gary, I'm a yooper by marriage. My wife is from da 'oaton (Houghton) area. I also got a maple burl from my brother-in-law, who owns a logging company. I stuck it in the LDD bucket last summer and forgot about it. Tonight when I went to stick a piece of walnut in the bucket there was somthing lurking in the bottom........oops. It now has a rather dark cast to the wood and wasn't floating anymore. I'll dry it for a few weeks and chuck it up to see if it has any value. Maybe I've discovered a new process? Let me know if you ever need anything from troll land. We usually blow through your neck of the woods a couple of times per year.

Hey Paul,
Hope your burl survives.
Next time you come my way, maybe we can get together. If you cross over on M-117 you are only a block from my shop. If it's in the winter you can see my shop though the woods.
By the way what is LDD? I guess I'm kinda Yoopid when it comes to the burls.
Garry

Garry Smith
02-23-2006, 9:48 PM
I ain't never seen "white" cherry bark before. Must be purdy rare. :p :rolleyes:

Nice haul and nice find!!!!

Dennis,
Up here our cherry has the sapwood on the ouside of the bark.

Paul Downes
02-24-2006, 1:06 PM
I must confess Gary that I hate it when people use them letter combinations cause they're too lazy to type the whole word. Well, LDD stands for L iquid D ish D etergent. I use a 50-50 mix of the cheapest stuff I can find. The theory is that the soap will soak into the wood cells and when the wood is dried the soap in the cells will keep the cells from collapsing, thus preventing splitting and cracking. It seems to work O.K. I have turned around 10 bowls utilizing this method and none have cracked. They will distort and warp. The idea is to rough turn the bowl, soak it in LDD for a day or two, dry it for a while, -this depends on how big the bowl is- and then finish as usual. The wood does turn eaiser because the wood is now lubricated. I haven't noticed any change in finishes/waxes. I'll give you a shout next time we are going to the promised land. We usually go up 117 or 77...............Paul

Glenn Hodges
02-24-2006, 1:09 PM
Nice haul. I enjoyed seeing all that snow it has been in the 70's down here this week. I could turn something that big, and have a lot of shavings. You can cut it up and have a lot of smaller pieces and less shavings, good luck.

Garry Smith
02-24-2006, 5:34 PM
I must confess Gary that I hate it when people use them letter combinations cause they're too lazy to type the whole word. Well, LDD stands for L iquid D ish D etergent. I use a 50-50 mix of the cheapest stuff I can find. The theory is that the soap will soak into the wood cells and when the wood is dried the soap in the cells will keep the cells from collapsing, thus preventing splitting and cracking. It seems to work O.K. I have turned around 10 bowls utilizing this method and none have cracked. They will distort and warp. The idea is to rough turn the bowl, soak it in LDD for a day or two, dry it for a while, -this depends on how big the bowl is- and then finish as usual. The wood does turn eaiser because the wood is now lubricated. I haven't noticed any change in finishes/waxes. I'll give you a shout next time we are going to the promised land. We usually go up 117 or 77...............Paul
Thanks for the explanation Paul
Look forwoard to meeting.
Garry

Garry Smith
02-24-2006, 5:39 PM
Nice haul. I enjoyed seeing all that snow it has been in the 70's down here this week. I could turn something that big, and have a lot of shavings. You can cut it up and have a lot of smaller pieces and less shavings, good luck.
Yeh rub it in Glenn, I'll bet you enjoy seeing the snow only in the photo.

How would you put something like this on a lathe? It must go about 800 pounds.
I'm sure I will be cutting it up, it's the only way I can do anything with it.
Garry

Garry Smith
03-01-2006, 1:59 PM
Maybe cut it in half first-----then it would fit nicely on Bigg yeller
Cut it in half which way?