PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

Steve Hayes
02-21-2006, 9:27 AM
Hi everybody good to be here. Love the site. I've been reading the posts now for about a month and just got my lathe about a month ago and now getting the accessories. What tools would you guys recommend. Sorby?? who else?

Ken Fitzgerald
02-21-2006, 9:37 AM
Steve....Welcome to the Dark Side of the Creek! Don't know what to tell you about the tools......I have some cheap HF tools to practice grinding on. I have some nice Robert Larson's to use after I get skilled at grinding. Just last Saturday, I went to my first Woodcraft store and lusted over many new turning tools! I'm sure many of the experienced turners here will chime in! Good luck with your venture into turning!

Raymond Overman
02-21-2006, 9:42 AM
Steve,

Welcome to the creek. Personally, I like the P&N tools (Craft Supply, Lee Valley) and Crown tools. I'm not really a fan of the Sorby's but I think that's because of the smaller diameter handle and the handles are light colored wood. Strange I know but it's a mental game sometimes.

The P&N chisels come un-handled so you get some spindle practice in as soon as you get them.

Good luck!

Steve Knowlton
02-21-2006, 9:53 AM
Welcome To The Creek. I Have Mostly The Crown Tools. I Liked Them For The Handle Size Also. Sorby Are Also Good.

Andy Hoyt
02-21-2006, 10:09 AM
Hi Steve - Welcome, and all that stuff.

I've got an eclectic mix of a few tools from each of the more common names (Sorby, Crown, etc) And really don't have a favorite manufacturer. That said, I borrowed a friends P&N a while back and really liked it. Of course that may be simply because it's not all shiny like all the rest.

And I do have a preference for self made handles. Biggish knobs on the ends, sanded smooth to 80 grit and call it done.

Bob Noles
02-21-2006, 10:16 AM
Hi Steve and welcome to SMC.

I am a newbie to turning, but have been perfectly happy with the HF set I bought a couple of months ago. I purchased a Sorby 1" skew chisel just to have something to compare to, but not enough difference IMHO to warrant the extra $.

Keith Burns
02-21-2006, 10:35 AM
Welcome Steve. You have now embarked on a trip to the dark side from which there is no escape:D You won't find a better bunch of guys anywhere. The knowledge you find here is limitless. I have several "brands" of tools. Crown, Sorby, Hamlet and one P&N. They are all HSS and all perform well. My favorites would be the Crown and Hamlet.

John Hart
02-21-2006, 10:43 AM
I'd just like to say "Welcome Steve!!"......so....

WELCOME STEVE!!!!:)

Paul Douglass
02-21-2006, 10:46 AM
Steve, welcome and I'm too new at this t o recommend. If you are good at sharpening go for the good stuff, if not buy cheap to learn on.

Steve Hayes
02-21-2006, 11:42 AM
I have been thinking of the Robert Sorby RS200KT Multi-Tip Shear Scraper (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=6508) to add to the collection. Any comments?

Keith Burns
02-21-2006, 11:56 AM
I have been thinking of the Robert Sorby RS200KT Multi-Tip Shear Scraper (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=6508) to add to the collection. Any comments?

IMHO I would get the hollowmaster. Less money with more flexability and does the same thing.:)

Bernie Weishapl
02-21-2006, 12:25 PM
Steve first off welcome. Lots of good people here and lots of knowledge. I am a new turner also. Get the HF set of turning tools and then build from there. A couple of tools I did add were a 1 1/8" wide by 3/8" thick scraper, square scraper and a Ellsworth 1/2" bowl gouge. Haven't seen the need for much more than those.

Bill Stevener
02-21-2006, 12:36 PM
Hi Steve,
welcome to the Creek, if you have been observing this gang for a month and risked your announcement, you are a brave man.:D

Always a tough question -- which tools?? Tools have come a long way in a very short period of time. The older tools, of carbon steal served turners since who knows when, and some are still preferred and used by many a turner today. HSS tools do not make one a better turner, however they do reduce the sharpening frequency quite substantially.
I have a variety of tools. Some are shop maid for a specific turning task at hand, others quite expensive because of the name stamped on them and yet in another group, no idea who maid them. There are a number of variables that influence turners to favor one manufacturer over another.
For example as noted above, the smaller diameter handle. One with a larger hand may well feel very uncomfortable with the same, yet others with a smaller hand may consider it the best tool ever maid, praise it to no end and be one of the causes to influence you to purchase the same. You get your new tool home, try it at the lathe and think it's the worst piece of junk you have ever purchased.
I feel, and not promoting them, the Sorby has a tendency to maintain a sharper edge longer than some of the other tools in my inventory. I prefer a tool with somewhat of a stouter handle, although like the mini set of the Sorby brand when turning mines.

It's all like when purchasing a new baseball glove, I am sure one tries many on the hand before making any final decision.

Buy and use quality tools that are designed for turning, with the item being turned in mind and feel comfortable in your hand. The color and texture of the handle should not be one of the governing factors that influence ones choice of the tool. One can always change that, and it changes on its own in time.

I think, most of the quality turning tools on the market today, are pretty much in the same class, some are pricier only because of the name engraved on them. They all achieve the same objective when properly used, sharpened and maintained.

But that's only how I see it, there will always be others with another opinion. That's what makes it a tough question.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Steve Hayes
02-21-2006, 2:01 PM
I did the Harbour freight set and they are not bad. I am in the process of trying to choose a grinder. The GR450 from Delta is the one I think I will get. I will need to change one of the wheels to a 100 grit and then I just need to learn how to sharpen. I have not turned a thing since I was 15 and in shop class. Whew! boy you forget things.

Jim Dunn
02-21-2006, 5:19 PM

OHH, Ohh, that's the one I just bought. I love it! I find as a new turner the learning curve is some what shorter than with a conventional bowl gouge (bowl thrower thingy):p

Mike Ramsey
02-21-2006, 10:04 PM
Welcome Steve! If you only buy what you "don't" think you
need you will probably be better served & save a ton of
money!!:) .

Tyler Howell
02-22-2006, 8:42 AM
Welcome to the creek Steve.

Usually I say this is a great bunch of folks buttttttt.... These spinny guys are a little scary;)