PDA

View Full Version : where to buy brushable black lacquer?

fred woltersdorf
02-21-2006, 6:56 AM
i'm building a nite table and i'm going to put a high gloss black lacquer finish on it.where can i get a brushable lacquer,i don't have any spraying equip.thanks

Chris Barton
02-21-2006, 7:21 AM
Sherwin - Williams?

Jamie Buxton
02-21-2006, 11:48 AM
The only brushable lacquer I know is Deft. You can buy it at most paint suppliers. It is clear, so you'd need to turn it black. Look for "universal colorants". They are pigments carried in diethylene glycol. (They're the pigments used to color paint in your local paint store.) Universal colorants are compatible with both latex and solvent-based paints, and might well be compatible with lacquer too. You should be able to buy universal colorants at your local paint stores; even my local HD carries them.

tod evans
02-21-2006, 11:51 AM
fred, you can save yourself a few headaches by using a spray can. black is a common color so should be readly available...02 tod

Bob Swenson
02-21-2006, 12:33 PM
Fred-- Google Liberon. Great sourse for all finishing supplies:)

nic obie
02-21-2006, 1:49 PM
Regular black lacquer with retarder would work, but if the project is small enough, I'd use spray bombs like tod suggested.

Brian Parker
02-21-2006, 2:24 PM
Jamie,

I just picked some moisture absorbing lacquer at Sherwin Williams for the cabinets that I am making. On the can it says that you can either spray it on or brush it on. Its not something that they have on the shelf you have to ask for it. I forget how much it is but I remember that after my discount and tax it was somewhere around 38 bucks a gallon.

Like you I use Deft, until this priject I used it on everything but the one cabinet maker down the road told me to get that stuff and spray the inside of the cabinets with it.

The only brushable lacquer I know is Deft.