PDA

View Full Version : Plate

Bernie Weishapl
02-20-2006, 9:56 PM
Here was a second project for the day. I had a piece of Elm 9 1/2" in diameter and 1 1/2" thick. I decided to make a plate out of it. Actually came out pretty well. It is green so left it a little thick.
Also turned a bowl today but put it in the DNA before snapping a picture of it. It is made out of hickory.

I also have a question. I put it in DNA and will leave it there for at least 12 hrs. Now a bowl I wrap with brown paper sack. I cut a opening in the paper at the top of the bowl and then turn it upside down. What do you recommend for a plate? Just wrap the whole thing in brown paper or what. Thanks.

Keith Burns
02-20-2006, 10:00 PM
Bernie you are definately not wasting any time are you:D Nice stuff:)

John Hart
02-20-2006, 10:02 PM
Geez Bernie....As fast as you're picking this up....you're going to put everyone to shame!

If it were me, I'd soak it for 24-48 hours and then just let it dry out in the open. If it were me.

So...don't do that.:o

Jim Dunn
02-20-2006, 10:24 PM
Bernie I don't have a clue. But I like your plate.

Corey Hallagan
02-20-2006, 10:32 PM
Excellent Bernie, what's next... besides the big lathe!! LOL. Maybe a vase is next? Your doing awesome!

Corey

Gary DeWitt
02-20-2006, 10:49 PM
Wouldn't hurt to wrap the whole thing, since it's relatively flat. Don't forget to weigh it now and then so you know when it's ready to finish turn (when it stops loosing weight).
Also, don't be surprised if it warps a bit as you turn it. If there is any tension in it, it will. I had a kiln dried platter warp a bit as I turned it. Stuff seems to be still alive at times.
Good luck.

Bob Noles
02-21-2006, 6:32 AM
Nice plate Bernie and like the others have said, you are taking to this turning stuff like CA glue to wood.