PDA

View Full Version : Glue Up? How To...

Bill Oder
02-20-2006, 8:15 PM
Evening everyone,

I need some information on how to do "Glue Ups"... I have searched this site, an didn't find any "How To's.."

Any one know of a good site for instructions? I have some stuff laying around, and the box that Jim Dunn completed seems like a fun project.

Thanks... Bill

Ken Fitzgerald
02-20-2006, 9:22 PM
Shameless bump..........inquiring minds want to know......so do I!

Jim Dunn
02-20-2006, 9:27 PM
I have some stuff laying around, and the box that Jim Dunn completed seems like a fun project.

Bill the glue up I bought. I'm making a guess as I've done little glue up for turning but on this piece the grains all ran in opposite directions. I'm not sure this is the best way to glue this piece up for turning as I had a little trouble with tear out where the lid met the box top. But I glued up a mallet out of oak, it turned fine, with the grains all running in the same direction. It might have been the difference in the woods??

Good luck, Oh I'd wait at least 24hrs for the glue to completely dry. Just for safetys sake.

Jim

Bill Oder
02-20-2006, 9:35 PM
Thanks for the info Jim...

What I'm looking for is a real basic "How to"...

Do we spread glue on one piece? Both pieces? before slapping them together?

How many pieces are recommend in a stack that is clamped? 2? 3? 4?

I'm a super newbe at this part in the game...:D

Ken Fitzgerald
02-20-2006, 9:38 PM
BIll on another thread I started I showed the link to a guy's webpage. He does a lot of segmented turning. He told me he uses the original "Titebond" glue for his segmented turnings.

Jim Dunn
02-20-2006, 9:44 PM
I'm sorry Bill I'll add what I know from experience. Using Titebond III glue, cause that's what I have, spread an even amount on each piece. Make the piece as long as you want. You can cut it off in to turning blocks as needed. I glued up basically a 4X4 block out of 3/4" material. Sure it was a little lopsided but that's why we have a roughing gouge:) Set it out of the way and let it dry. If you wanted to you could square it up a little on the saw or cut the corners off at a bandsaw before starting your turning.

It's going to make a mess when the glue squeezes out just put it on newspapers and let it bleed and set up. I did scrape the excess off before I started to turn probably not necessary but I hadn't used my scrapers in weeks:).

Have fun!

Keith Burns
02-20-2006, 9:49 PM
Bill, I do mostly segmented work and use Titebond Original. I apply glue to both pieces. The main thing is not to glue end grain to face grain as it won't hold. Glue face to face as many peices as you want. For instance you could take 6'' squares and glue 6 of them together, face to face, and have a nice bowl blank.

Bill Oder
02-20-2006, 9:50 PM
Thanks.... That's a start! Picked up a bottle of the Tightbond III this evening at the BORG.

Off to the shop to spread glue and clamp them tight!

Andy Hoyt
02-20-2006, 9:56 PM
Keith - Have you ever tried this?

I saw Michael Hosaluk glue end grain to end grain with a 50/50 mix of yellow whatever glue and water. Schmeared it on both pieces, and while maintaining contact he rubbed them against each other. In thirty seconds it was rock solid, and in sixty seconds it was back on the lathe and getting turned.

The sound of forty-five jaws hitting the floor simutaneously is profound!

I've since tried it, and it does indeed work.

Keith Burns
02-20-2006, 10:11 PM
Keith - Have you ever tried this?

I saw Michael Hosaluk glue end grain to end grain with a 50/50 mix of yellow whatever glue and water. Schmeared it on both pieces, and while maintaining contact he rubbed them against each other. In thirty seconds it was rock solid, and in sixty seconds it was back on the lathe and getting turned.

The sound of forty-five jaws hitting the floor simutaneously is profound!

I've since tried it, and it does indeed work.

Say what ? You say you been smokin' what?

Jim Dunn
02-20-2006, 10:13 PM
Say what ? You say you been smokin' what?

Keith don't ask you reallllllly don't want to know;);)

Ken Fitzgerald
02-20-2006, 10:14 PM
You'll have to forgive him Keith! He's probably been into the exotics again and thinks everyone is as gullible as he is!

But..........I'll give it a try!

Andy Hoyt
02-20-2006, 10:43 PM
I kid you not. Try it.

Bill Stevener
02-20-2006, 11:11 PM
Andy?????????? doesn't the clamp get in the way:confused:

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Bill Stevener
02-20-2006, 11:17 PM
Bill,
You can glue up as many pieces of wood as you wish, at one time, just as long as you are fast enough to assemble and clamp them before the glue begins to set up. On large operations, have everything right handy.;)

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Bill Oder
02-20-2006, 11:49 PM
Thanks Guys....

Hey Andy... You need to try some of this stuff we have down here... Drips out of copper kettles and pipes... Something to do with corn...:D

Andy Hoyt
02-21-2006, 12:49 AM
Jeez, I feel like a jerk. You guys didn't believe me, so I went back to review some notes and sure enough, I omitted a step. A big step. So, I'll start over.

Mix up yellow glue and water 50 - 50. Schmear it on the end grain of both pieces.
AND LET IT DRY.
Schmear some more on both pieces and while maintaining contact between the two pieces, rub in a swirly motion for 30 seconds.
Done. Rick Solid.Step Two is what I failed to mention earlier. The solution acts like sizing and seals the end grain.

So shoot me.:o

Ken Fitzgerald
02-21-2006, 1:25 AM
I'm sure glad you went back and checked your notes! I rubbed those two sticks together until I thought I was going to start a fire!:eek: :D

Gary DeWitt
02-21-2006, 5:25 AM
If you are gluing up a lot of pieces at once, you could use polyurethane glue. Slower setting. Tradeoff is, you wait longer before you can start turning. Epoxy works well too, just more expensive.
If you're in a real hurry, you can use CA, cyanoacrylate, superglue. I've glued stock to a piece of wood attached to a faceplate and started turning it 3-4 minutes later. Be sure the two surfaces are clean and mate well.

Chris Barton
02-21-2006, 6:28 AM
Bill,

I use TB3 when I want a loooooong open time on a glue up. And by long I am speaking in relative terms of about an hour or 2. As the temperature goes down the open time increases. You clearly want to let TB# cure for at least 24 hours. I have also used plastic resin glue (weldwood) for this and it works well. But, it too has a very long cure time. I have seen some turners use thick CA for this but, I have no experience with that method.

John Hart
02-21-2006, 7:32 AM
I'm a big fan of epoxy. Even though it seems expensive (and I'm a tightwad) it really goes a long way. Working time is short with the 5 minute stuff, but you can get 60 minute epoxy as well. System Three offers a lot of epoxy for the money in both the short and long open times. I like the fact that I can apply it and be turning in an hour.

Curt Fuller
02-21-2006, 8:10 AM
I kid you not. Try it.
Andy, how smooth were the endgrain cuts? Were they off the saw or sanded smooth?

Andy Hoyt
02-21-2006, 8:19 AM
Bandsawn with something like 6 tpi