PDA

View Full Version : So that's what that knob is for...

Rob Blaustein
02-20-2006, 3:02 PM
You know, the one that locks the arbor at whatever angle you set it at. I had to make some 15 deg bevel cuts on my TS and when I was done I set the blade back to zero but forgot to lock it. I think this might have been the first time I made used my TS to make bevel cuts, so the process is just not second nature to me. I then used the saw for a bunch of other cuts with blade at 90 to table--or so I thought--but then noticed something funny when I looked at one of the cut pieces. Although the saw seems quite smooth, I guess the vibration allowed it to drift a few degrees off from vertical. Fortunately these were not mission critical pieces that I was cutting so didn't have to repeat. Please make me feel better and tell me I'm not the only doofus novice to do this.

Lee DeRaud
02-20-2006, 3:14 PM
Don't think I've ever done that. Then again, I'm not sure my saw has a lock for the tilt.:p

Bruce Page
02-20-2006, 3:16 PM
Hey doofus!...
Just kidding, I've done the same thing.

john whittaker
02-20-2006, 3:18 PM
OHHHHH....Is THAT what that knob is for???? :confused:

There, do you feel better now?

Glad I could help.

P.S. yes, I suspect most of us have been there, done that!:D

Mike Goetzke
02-20-2006, 3:24 PM
My old saw didn't have a knob to lock height or bevel so I've done the same, but, to top it off my old saw was a right tilt the new one a left and have put the blade on backwards a few times - luckly I caught it before making any cuts.

Mike

Andy Hoyt
02-20-2006, 3:55 PM
I have a long history of doofustry; and I'm not gonna worry about it until I repeat one of them - for the third for fourth time.:D

john whittaker
02-20-2006, 4:03 PM
Andy....You're right....I looked up doofustry in the dictionary and your picture popped up.:eek:

right next to mine.:p

lou sansone
02-20-2006, 4:35 PM
well we all get one of those moments now and then
:)
lou

David Fried
02-20-2006, 5:16 PM
I just do those things to make Andy look good :rolleyes:

Dave Fried

Jim Becker
02-20-2006, 7:48 PM
I have a long history of doofustry

Sounds like an excellent topic for Oprah... ;)

----
Rob..."Been there...done that..." :)

David Abel
02-20-2006, 7:55 PM
You know, the one that locks the arbor at whatever angle you set it at. I had to make some 15 deg bevel cuts on my TS and when I was done I set the blade back to zero but forgot to lock it. I think this might have been the first time I made used my TS to make bevel cuts, so the process is just not second nature to me. I then used the saw for a bunch of other cuts with blade at 90 to table--or so I thought--but then noticed something funny when I looked at one of the cut pieces. Although the saw seems quite smooth, I guess the vibration allowed it to drift a few degrees off from vertical. Fortunately these were not mission critical pieces that I was cutting so didn't have to repeat. Please make me feel better and tell me I'm not the only doofus novice to do this.

I learned to lock down the height adjustment after running dados and suddenly the dados were getting shallower and shallower... :)

Rob Blaustein
02-20-2006, 10:02 PM
I learned to lock down the height adjustment after running dados and suddenly the dados were getting shallower and shallower... :)

Come to think of it, I forgot to do that too on some rabbets I did this weekend. I had just read a nice article about rabbeting with a dado blade in Woodworking magazine, and the author made that point. These are good lessons for me.

Joe Unni
02-20-2006, 11:30 PM

Done that...been there! Man, did I say some naughty words after I did that.

-joe

Rob Wilson
02-21-2006, 12:19 AM
I never have that problem, my saw doesn't have a locking knob. :mad:

Mark Singer
02-21-2006, 12:24 AM
Huh?....What happen?

Alan Burhop
02-21-2006, 10:14 AM
I always forget to unlock it. Then I cant figure out why the crank won't turn. I just don't tilt the blade very often.

Byron Trantham
02-21-2006, 10:23 AM
Oh! Now I know....:D

John D Watson
02-21-2006, 11:02 AM
Is that what they call a Homer. I'm good at them.:eek: