PDA

View Full Version : Ok..Finally My First Pen...

Corey Hallagan
02-20-2006, 2:34 PM
I had the day off today, took the opportunity to turn my first pen. It is a rosewood slimline. Didnt get the nib end of the blank turned down quite enough but for a first one, I am happy. What yah think?

Keith Burns
02-20-2006, 2:41 PM
Way to go Corey :) :) . I wish the first one I did looked that good. You're off to a great start.

Chris Barton
02-20-2006, 2:49 PM
Looks good to me Corey!

Scott Donley
02-20-2006, 3:04 PM
Looking good Corey ! I am about to call PSI to see if someone there can walk me through what I " Have to GET " to give it a shot myself. Can only hope my first one turns out as nice as yours :)

George Conklin
02-20-2006, 3:10 PM
You've gotta be happu with that one, Corey.

I like the Rosewood with the silver. Very rich looking.

George

John Hart
02-20-2006, 3:12 PM
Woo Hoo!!! Way to go Corey! You have been thusly baptised.:)

Nice lookin' pen. Keep it forever!:)

Keith Christopher
02-20-2006, 3:37 PM
Awesome pen Cory ! Keep 'em spinnin ~!

Ron Ainge
02-20-2006, 3:39 PM
congrats! I remember when I turned my first pen, I made so many mistakes on it that I had to turn another one just to see if I could do the next one better. Well I still turn one once in a while to see if I can make one better than that first one.

Andy Hoyt
02-20-2006, 3:50 PM
.....Didnt get the nib end of the blank turned down quite enough but for a first one, I am happy. What yah think?
Here's what I think, "Looks terrific, Corey. "

And I know what you mean about not being turned down enough. Recalling my first pen -- I kept looking at the outside diameter of the bushing and the inside diameter of the tube - and thinking that whoever dreamed this up must be seriously ice cream intolerant. Ain't no way it'll hold up. Amazing that it does.

Do more!

Rich Stewart
02-20-2006, 3:53 PM
That is plumb beautiful. My first pen I tried to put the pen together reading the pencil instructions. If anybody wants to try this, let me save you some time. It don't work. There is some parts that ain't there and some parts that is. I haven't been doing them enough for me to buy all the barrel trimmers and such so mine are always just a little off.

Kurt Forbes
02-20-2006, 4:22 PM
I do not think it is required to have everything trimmed exactly but if you are off on one spot you need to be off on every spot and you are just a hair over on every joint. it looks consistent call it a design element and be happy.

Bob Noles
02-20-2006, 4:34 PM
ALRIGHT....... Corey!

Great job and "first" pen. It is so exciting to get that first project off the lathe, isn't it?

Tell us what and how you finished it out.

I think it looks great. Be sure to save it as it will always be "special" to you.

Pat Salter
02-20-2006, 4:36 PM
The big question is, are YOU happy with it? and since you are.... pull the cap off and write your name and the date you did the pen on the mechanical part. Use a sharpie or whatever.

you will carry it around for a LONG time and be proud of it.

Nice pen Cory.:D

Mike Ramsey
02-20-2006, 6:02 PM
Thatzagoodlookinpen Corey!! Make sure you keep the first one or two
for youself, you'll be tempted to give it to someone who tells you
how beautiful it is!!

Corey Hallagan
02-20-2006, 6:17 PM
Thanks guys. I learned alot while doing this one. Bob, I roughed it with my large roughing gouge, then my favorite skew chisel. I sanded thru 600 grit and then wood burnished it. Then shellwax and burnished it again. Very silky smooth. I didnt get it turned down enough. I was watching a vad spot on the wood, like worm hole that went right down and just turned out of the blank right where it is. The bad spot showed up after roughting and kind of freaked me out. It is a pretty piece of rosewood that I got from my buddy Bernie. Anyway, definitely got to turn more!

Corey

Jim Dunn
02-20-2006, 6:22 PM
Corey that is one real pocket painter you got there:)

john whittaker
02-20-2006, 6:33 PM
Way to go Corey. I think it looks great.

Bill Stevener
02-20-2006, 6:35 PM
Very nice looking pen Corey. Looks as well done as others I have seen, turned by folks that have turned many. I have never turned a pen, however always admired the work of those that do.
Your well on your way now.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

ps: Nice photo to!

Ernie Nyvall
02-20-2006, 7:07 PM
Yahoo Corey!! First one can be a bit nerve racking wondering if you got it cut down enough, but you quickly get used to how much to sand off.

It looks great to me.

Ernie

Corey Hallagan
02-20-2006, 7:59 PM
Thanks guys! I appreciate it. Bill, I like my new camera, it isn't the most expensive out there but I am learning how to get some good photos with it.
Corey

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-20-2006, 10:36 PM
Good start, Corey. While the wood isn't down to the nib, it works the way it is. The varieties of design differences avilable are what make pens so much fun to do.

Bruce

Bernie Weishapl
02-20-2006, 10:49 PM
Corey that is a great looking pen. Make sure you keep that one. Wait till you turn that walnut. It is so sweet to turn. Congrats my friend. You did well.