PDA

View Full Version : Latest group photo...

Bruce Page
02-20-2006, 2:18 PM
This was taken last Wednesday during preparation for a countdown rehearsal. As you can tell, we had typical Kodiak weather – rain with sleet mixed in. I’m the big guy, third from the right.

John Miliunas
02-20-2006, 2:43 PM
So Bruce, tell us: How many "it's not rocket science" cliche's do you put up with in a given week??? :D It really must be pretty great to be a part of projects like that but, for you in particular, it's got be a shock to the body systems going from NM to Alaska!!! Whew...Talk about some major temp swings! :eek: :D Glad to have you back! :) :cool:

Cecil Arnold
02-20-2006, 2:43 PM
Bruce, is that a coat on that roman candle? I'll bet Albi Q Q feels warm after that.

Bruce Page
02-20-2006, 3:11 PM
So Bruce, tell us: How many "it's not rocket science" cliche's do you put up with in a given week??? :D It really must be pretty great to be a part of projects like that but, for you in particular, it's got be a shock to the body systems going from NM to Alaska!!! Whew...Talk about some major temp swings! :eek: :D Glad to have you back! :) :cool:

John, thanks for the welcome back. I bought a couple of t-shirts last week that have the Kodiak range logo on the front and on the back it says "It IS rocket science". I thought they were pretty funny!

Cecil, the rocket motors need to stay ~ 70° at all times. The blanket around the missile & payload have internal ducting that is connected to a heat wagon. The missile & payload fly out of the blanket during launch. needless to say, the blanket gets toasted!

Jeremy Gibson
02-20-2006, 3:41 PM
I bought a couple of t-shirts last week that have the Kodiak range logo on the front and on the back it says "It IS rocket science". I thought they were pretty funny!

I remember seeing a t-shirt that said "As a matter of fact, I AM a rocket scientist!"

Vaughn McMillan
02-20-2006, 4:14 PM
I remember seeing a t-shirt that said "As a matter of fact, I AM a rocket scientist!"
I worked with a guy who had that shirt...he was a brilliant software engineer, and on the weekends he was seriously into model rocketry. A lot of his spare time was spent helping Cub Scout and Boy Scout troops with their rocketry projects. He's probably love to work on a project like Bruce's.

- Vaughn

Andy Hoyt
02-20-2006, 5:53 PM
Okay - I'll bite.

Were you launching that thing from up there? To achieve some specific orbit?

Cecil Arnold
02-20-2006, 5:59 PM
Andy, that maybe a secret, if he told you he might have to kill you.

Jim Dunn
02-20-2006, 6:15 PM
Andy, that maybe a secret, if he told you he might have to kill you.
Or at least chuck you up and spin you till you forgot:eek::D

Bruce the temp at orbit surely can't be 70degrees, unless of course your orbiting Florida about 25' off the ground, so why the concern with the temp. Is it a snow/sleet weight factor?

Bruce Page
02-20-2006, 6:52 PM
Okay - I'll bite.

Were you launching that thing from up there? To achieve some specific orbit?

Andy, Jim,
Without getting too spacfic, Kodiak was chosen primarily for its unobstructed downrange flight path over the North Pacific Ocean. The hardware does go exoatmospheric then re-enters near the Marshall Islands. Because whole process happens pretty quickly, there’s not enough time for the propellant to cool.

Jim Dunn
02-20-2006, 10:48 PM
Yeah, he'll have to kill us. I don't want to know any more:(

Norman Hitt
02-21-2006, 4:31 AM
Now THAT's a REALLY Neat "Totem Pole".:D