PDA

View Full Version : Watch Winders?

scott bonder
02-20-2006, 10:49 AM
I am interested in making a jewelry box that incorporates automatic watch winders. Anybody ever do this? Know where to get the hardware?

For those of you who do not know, "automatic" watches are those the lack battery and are wound by wrist movement. Winders are devices that move the watch clockwise, counterclockwise or a combination a determined number of turns per day to keep the watches running.

Chris Barton
02-20-2006, 11:57 AM
While I don't have any plans to share, I too would be interested in this project since I have 6 automatics that need the service.

Jason Tuinstra
02-20-2006, 12:45 PM
Scott, sounds like a good project. I just bought an automatic and have been thinking about just such a project. I think you might have to buy an existing winder and build around it. I haven't seen any hardware as such other than the already put together winders. But I haven't checked that hard, so I could be way off. Neither do I know of any plans off hand, so this might be a good one for you to put together! We'd love to see what you come up with. The challenge might be in building one that is expandable for other watches you may buy in the future :D . It could be a bit tricky, but sounds like a great project. Be sure to keep us updated. Sorry I can't be more of a help.

BTW, Here are pics of the new Oris and the automatic movement.

Gary Herrmann
02-20-2006, 12:48 PM
I've got an IWC Aquatimer I bought in the 90s that I like a whole lot. Gave up on more automatics so I could buy tools tho.

Jason Tuinstra
02-20-2006, 1:04 PM
I've got an IWC Aquatimer I bought in the 90s that I like a whole lot. Gave up on more automatics so I could buy tools tho.

I hear that! :p Not cheap. That's why I bought the one I wanted and have no intention of dipping into the tool budget again. I promise! :D :p

Steve Wargo
02-20-2006, 1:24 PM
Just got commissioned to do a sweet cabinet with a hidden compartment running off a Plasma TV lift. The back panel holds 40 Automatic Watch winders. The winders aren't cheap. Decnt ones run around $250 each. You can buy cheaper ones on the big auction site. There are a bunch of sites selling them as well. Do a search for watch vallets and the should turn up. Good luck.

Michael Ballent
02-20-2006, 1:44 PM
Before you even start, make sure that your watch(es) are okay with going into a winder. Some of them just cannot handle constantly being spun around. http://www.timezone.com has a lot of watch information along with forums as well with most of the major players from Patek to Rolex, and Seiko. (Mods if it is not okay to have the site above please feel free to edit it, but since it is not WW site I think it should be okay). Hate to see a watch get beaten up because it "fried" in the winder.

scott bonder
02-20-2006, 3:01 PM
Thanks all. I wear a Brietling Chronomat Evolution and am looking hard right now at a Jaeger Le Coultre Master Calendar. I am a lurker on Timezone, though I do have a few posts there as well. My wife doesn't know it, but I am also looking at the Patek Annual Calendar, but even my dementia is not so deep (yet) as to spend $35,000 on a watch.

I am contacting the manufacturers of winders now. I really do not want to pay for the case, etc only to rip it apart or hide it. If I come up with something I will let you know.

Michael Ballent
02-20-2006, 3:42 PM
If you happen to find something please do let us know... It's a hassle for me as well when I change watches as well, but I do not have too many automatics. The JLC is a great looking watch, and that Patek wow. As they have more complications the more the hassle to reset the watch :( My next watch on the list is a Daytona SS... if I ever happen to locate one I have the GMT II and its great when I travel around...

Still kinda crazy to think that my watch costs more than a PM66 hehehe But I am sure my son will like it when I am long gone. :D

Gary Herrmann
02-20-2006, 3:55 PM
I used to go to Timezone a lot 5 or 6 years ago. Its a good site - very informative. It doesn't have the same feel since it was connected to a commercial site after the originator sold it, but I still go occasionally. My wife wants a vintage watch, so I'm starting to go again.

I think I'd have to win the lottery to get back into watches again. The good ones are soo expensive, and I pretty much stuck to dive watches. Only have 3 now. The IWC, a Citizen and an Invicta which doesn't run very well. I do need to get the IWC tuned tho.

Not a reflection on anyone else, but given a choice, I've gotten to the point where I'd rather spend the $ on a good tool or a good vacation. They both help keep me sane.

Dave Fifield
02-20-2006, 5:58 PM
Best way to wind 'em is to strap 'em on yer arm and go for a 3 mile run.....

Doug Shepard
02-20-2006, 7:08 PM
Best way to wind 'em is to strap 'em on yer arm and go for a 3 mile run.....

Take your dog with you, and you can wind 6 at a time:D

Bruce Page
02-20-2006, 7:19 PM
Ok, I’m not a watch connoisseur but what’s up with watch winders – I’ve never heard of such a thing and why in the world would somebody need 40 of them? :confused:

My battery powered Seiko has never needed winding. :p

Steve Wargo
02-20-2006, 7:38 PM
He has a collection. 31 automatics in all, mostly Rolex. Wants to leave a little room for expansion.

Jim Becker
02-20-2006, 7:50 PM
Hmmph. I keep my Rolex in secure storage. (Was my Grandfather's watch) Beautiful piece, but it never kept good time over time no matter how many times they serviced it at "big bucks" for each effort. So...I don't worry about "winding" it anymore... :) ...but I do find the concept of the "winders" interesting!

Howard Rosenberg
02-20-2006, 8:04 PM
If you've got a major national chain near you, why not check their ads and press releases.
Shouldn't be too hard to find their suppliers.
HTH
Howard

Chris Barton
02-21-2006, 6:33 AM
I have done a little research on this and what I have found to be the biggest challange is finding a very low RMP motor that is also silent. When I used to have to build laboratory equipment I bought stuff from a company called "Small Parts Inc" and I think they are still around. They specialize in this bits and gears necessary to make this kind of thing. But, motors that will work well are hard to find. Most are very noisey because of the reduction gears necessary to bring them down to about 4 RPM.

Chris Barton
02-21-2006, 6:56 AM
A little research found that the company that makes the motors used in virtually all watch winders is:

http://www.faulhaber-group.com/n41799/n.html

scott bonder
02-21-2006, 7:20 AM
Thanks, I will email them. I did email the makers of the winders and nobody will giv me a lead on a mechanism. guess they all think i am going to start competing with them

Gary Herrmann
02-21-2006, 9:53 AM
Hmmph. I keep my Rolex in secure storage. (Was my Grandfather's watch) Beautiful piece, but it never kept good time over time no matter how many times they serviced it at "big bucks" for each effort. So...I don't worry about "winding" it anymore... :) ...but I do find the concept of the "winders" interesting!

Jim, you may want to take the watch out periodically and wind it up - maybe where it for a day when you're not in the shop. That may help the movement avoid getting gummed up.