PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
02-20-2006, 10:22 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

Another weekend has come and gone. Been in the "teens" here for temps with ice and snow. So, it's been feed the woodstove and stay warm, and get

<b>Lots of shop time..!!!!!!</b>

Worked in my shop on Saturday and Sunday, since church was cancelled due to icey road conditions. Got a LOT of things cleaned up, tools put back in place and emptied out lathe curlies. Between this past week and this weekend? Over 600 gallons of lathe curlies and sawdust was emptied from my shop.!!!!:eek:
I've still got 1/4 of the shop to go, but I've at least got a start on getting it all cleaned up. Shoot, I'm even doing a little "rearranging of machines". :D

Anyway, it's back to work today, only 503 emails sorted through at work, the Robland X-31 is getting picked up this week and then it's on my way to purchase a new planer and jointer.:D Sheesh....does that qualify for a stealth gloat?:confused: :rolleyes: ;)

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Scott Coffelt
02-20-2006, 10:33 AM
Saturday had to getr some service on my truck and then proceeded to fine a used car for my niece, so spent the rest of the day test driving and such. Shop stuff is kind of on hold until the G0490 shows up later this week. Also spent the rest of the day helping my wife on a presentation for her work.

Sunday I watched the big event in NASCAR, go JJ. The KC Bridgaid AFL Team get their first win, some golf and finally part of the NBA all-star game. Basically relaxed the whole day, as it has been awhile to just relax. Caught up reading on some of my WWing mags that have come in the last month.

Steve Ash
02-20-2006, 10:38 AM
I worked on my son's kitchen cabinets on Saturday and then on Sunday hung all his interior doors and door casing for his new house.

tod evans
02-20-2006, 10:42 AM
i was stuck at the house, iced in....so ate-n-slept and spent lotsa nice time with the family...02 tod

Rod Torgeson
02-20-2006, 10:47 AM
Hello Dennis.....Not in the teens here but below that. One day it was 2 on one thermometer and 5 on another. Still have plenty of snow on the ground but no new. I have a wood stove in my shop so it was nice and warm. Working on two tall narrow cabinets for my neighbor to store VHS tapes and DVDs. Also working on 5 shop cabinets for a friend on mine down in California. Two will have doors and two will have drawers. The 5th one will be a little shorter to set the CMS on and will have a door beneath. When finished they will all hook together to make a 10' 6" bench top. Top will be two 1/2 inch particle board sheets glued together and then 1/4 inch masonite on top of that with trim around the edges. Other then that, just trying to stay warm. It is a lot warmer this morning, only 24 degrees. Take care. Rod<---in Appleton, WA

Jim Becker
02-20-2006, 10:48 AM
I got some of the things done on my pre-weekend list, including getting the towing electricals installed on the Highlander (piece of cake and not worth the $100 the dealer wanted to install the $38 part... ;) ) and meeting with a couple architects about our anticipated home addition project. I also took the girls to meet/visit with my ex (Aunt Gloria) and got a few hours in the shop to clean up and also turn an Itty Bitty. It was a bit chilly here this weekend (16 degrees when we got up yesterday), but comfortable inside the house and the sun has also been out.

Oh, I did the initial slog through our taxes...and I'm not a happy camper. The AMT monster has reared his ugly head this year.

Joe Blankshain
02-20-2006, 10:51 AM
Went to NC WW show on Saturday and was pleasantly surprised that it was a well received/attended show. Spent Sunday with the LOML and worked in the yard. Awaiting the X31 from Dennis and spending more time in the shop. Figured I would spend more home time now for more shop time later.

Jim O'Dell
02-20-2006, 10:54 AM
Did a quick design and build on a holder for a PDA for work. Soft case doesn't give enough support. All I had to work with was tracing the unit on a piece of paper, and then traced the profile. Its a pretty good fit. Now I need to build up a spot for the cable to be secured to. Sure would be easier if I could take the PDA home one weekend!! Other than that watched some Olympics, did 6 courses toward my recertification for work, and kept the fireplace going! Jim.

John D Watson
02-20-2006, 10:55 AM
I too, avoided the cold ice and wind, but I did mamage to get some stain on "The Box". http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=31072
This winter is getting long, ARRG!

Art Mulder
02-20-2006, 11:39 AM
As I was away this weekend, the only woodworking I did was of the "shopping" variety.

Being a Canadian, I get to visit a Lee Valley store all the time, but have yet to set foot in a Woodcraft. Well, last week I rolled into Grand Rapids a mere five minutes before closing time, and strolled into the Woodcraft store about 2 minutes later. Three staff people there, all very nice, who told me to go ahead and take my time.

On the down side, they did NOT have any Bessey clamps on sale, as someone was gloating about the Austin store last week. Oh well.

On the up side, I did pick up a 220v Long Ranger switch system for my DC. (The one with a wire, not wireless) I looked at the various posts here on making your own remote-control system, and in the end I concluded that for $60 I would just as soon pick up one of these. Now I just need to get the proper outlet to match the plug on this thing, and set up a few strategically located switches in my modest-sized shop and I'll be good to go. (of course, I still need some ductwork. Patience....)

Next weekend, I might get in some actual shop time...

JayStPeter
02-20-2006, 12:27 PM
It was cold here, so I was concerned about spraying finish again. But, after no activity last weekend, I went ahead and at least sprayed sealer on the kids beds. Turning on the fan and cracking the door led to my shop going from 65 deg. to 57 deg. in the one coat. It took a couple hours to get back to 65 as there are not heat vents actually in my shop. If it doesn't warm up, it's going to be a long process to get a few coats on those beds.

Tony Falotico
02-20-2006, 12:53 PM
Another good (productive) weekend, Master Bedroom ceiling and walls are painted, floor is down. Nice weather this weekend, although it was kinda cold Sunday, only hit a high of 51*. Pic's show floor about half way, and finished. Need to get baseboard to finish and do some touch up. but we are almost there (at least in this room)!

Michael Gibbons
02-20-2006, 12:55 PM
Not much shop time but I got to watch the New Yankee workshop video that came in the mail. Watched the boy this weekend while the LOML was in Chicago for an AYSO soccer convention. She said it was about 0* downtown. Got another sinus infection which really sucks. Played on the computer. Thats about it

Earl Reid
02-20-2006, 1:43 PM
I,ve did a little work on the blanket chest, prepared 50 corian pen blanks, went to Rockler, got a "Router Razer", did some cleaning in the shop.

Earl

Bob Swenson
02-20-2006, 1:43 PM
"Per" wanted me to sharpen chisels all weekend but I had to cook dinner at the Legion on Saturday. We are raising money a for new building we hope to put up this year. Dinners, Golf tournament, etc. It was Italian Night. Dinner included antipasti, a fresh pasta made with butter fresh plum tomatoes. basil and parmesan cheese. Minestrone soup, than Ossobuco Milanese (veal shank) with broccoli and Risotto Milanese. Of course coffee and Italian Cheese cake. Sunday I got back to our new Veritas MK.II sharpener and the chisels.
Boy do they need work. It's slow!!!

Mike Zozakiewicz
02-20-2006, 1:57 PM
The LOML and I picked out the tile for our mud room and downstairs bathroom; which was a real accomplishment. Got a good deal on some close outs at HD (.77 per 12x12 tile!). So this week I will start preping the room, and Saturday I will install the tile.

On Sunday I finally built myself a sanding box for DC. Pic below...and I will eventually replace the dryer hose with real DC ducting!:rolleyes:

tod evans
02-20-2006, 2:02 PM
"Per" wanted me to sharpen chisels all weekend but I had to cook dinner at the Legion on Saturday. We are raising money a for new building we hope to put up this year. Dinners, Golf tournament, etc. It was Italian Night. Dinner included antipasti, a fresh pasta made with butter fresh plum tomatoes. basil and parmesan cheese. Minestrone soup, than Ossobuco Milanese (veal shank) with broccoli and Risotto Milanese. Of course coffee and Italian Cheese cake. Sunday I got back to our new Veritas MK.II sharpener and the chisels.

bob, did paul cresti show up? dinner sounds like his cuppa tea:) .02 tod

Chip Olson
02-20-2006, 2:07 PM
Cut the runners for the panel sled I'm building, then started cutting the end rails... only to find my saw wasn't cutting straight. Somehow the splitter had gone out of alignment and was skewing the cut. I expect it's the result of my having cranked the blade over to 45&deg; with a 0&deg; ZCI in place. Note: don't do that. The part that needed realigning was the fitting that it goes into right behind the blade, and it took a bit of delicate work with an Allen wrench and a combination square to get it in the right place.

Also determined that my foldout outfeed table needs another coat or two of finish, but didn't have time to actually do somehting about that.

Dave Richards
02-20-2006, 2:18 PM
No shop time to speak of. I got to do daddy duty but I did cut up some number 2 pine for my neighbor. I also managed to make this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/weekender410/ratrender.jpg
All that's left is the router. :D

David Duke
02-20-2006, 2:53 PM
Helped hang sheetrock in a couple of rooms of my nieces house Saturday, Sunday had about 40 people at my house for the February birthdays (there are 10 birthdays this month in my immediate family, i.e. siblings, nieces, nephews, cousins). Was a cold drizzly day so everyone stayed inside......that was fun!!

Mike Monroe
02-20-2006, 3:42 PM
Friday - Took the kids skiing all day.
Saturday - Spent 8-4 at EMS classes getting my yearly dose of CEH's.
Sunday - Church AM, shop time PM, volunteer FF paperwork in the evening.

Matt Meiser
02-20-2006, 3:58 PM
Finished the hall table posted in another thread. Other than that it was a nice, slow weekend.

Barry Stratton
02-20-2006, 4:55 PM
After "discovering" that my new Jet Mini Lathe VS doesn't like my garage GFI breakers (I now need to wire in a non-GFI breaker), decided to vent my frustrations and hacked some wood. This is the result - total size about 12 1/2 X 12 1/2 inches. Sheep is curly maple, frame is bubinga.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/bearfretworks/Sheep_framed528x396.jpg

Bob Noles
02-20-2006, 4:55 PM
Nothing to report for shop time this weekend as I spent the last 4 days on a family retreat in the Great Somkey Mountains. Had a lot of non-woodworking fun though and even got snowed in.

Dennis Peacock
02-20-2006, 6:06 PM
Nothing to report for shop time this weekend as I spent the last 4 days on a family retreat in the Great Somkey Mountains. Had a lot of non-woodworking fun though and even got snowed in.

Oh..!!!! I LIKE the Smokey Mountains!!!! Been there a few times and really like that area. Congrats on your get-away Bob.!!!

Karl Laustrup
02-20-2006, 6:23 PM
Spent Saturday at the house in progress while the electrician started pulling wiring. It was -22 at 7 AM and only got up to about +3. Those guys were pretty cold.

Norm, the electrician, did get the 220v circuit done for the beast [see other thread in general ww'ing]. By the time I left the beast had been fired up for a test to make sure it runs.

Sunday was watching the Daytona 500. Strange happenings during that one.

Karl

Russ Massery
02-20-2006, 7:40 PM
I got the jointer together friday night. Saturday cleaned up the shop, then started jointing the boards for a new kitchen table.

Jim Hager
02-20-2006, 7:44 PM
I got a longer weekend than usual, we took off president's day from school so I worked 3 days this weekend. As planned I finished the construction of the present kitchen project on Saturday. I sanded all the boxes and stained on Sunday. I even finished early enough that I shot a couple of coats of sanding sealer late Sunday afternoon. Today I shot 3 coats of satin lacquer on the boxes and they are now ready for delivery and installation. I went down to the jobsite today and the carpenter is not ready for me to deliver the cabinets yet but should be later on this week. Maybe I can have my shop back soon when I get all these cabinet boxes delivered.

We have been snowed under here too, with some really cold temperatures. I haven't even left the place for anything since Friday evening until today when I went to check on the job. We've been chunking the fireplace full several times during the day to stay warm.

Next weekend is already taken too with the next set of kitchen cabinet doors and several cabinet components. Will it ever stop, let's hope not.

Tom Peterson
02-20-2006, 9:15 PM
so I gave the LOML the dimensions and sent her to the lumber yard to pick-up some 5/4 oak for the fireplace re-do. Moved an outlet so it is in the mantel now instead of next to it. Removed the oak trim from the windows to make way for the new painted birch moldings and hauled all of the furniture out so we could have the walls and ceilings skip troweled in the kitchen, dinette and family room. Built two of the twenty-one cabinets for the kitchen makeover. And, watched a little NASCAR while putting together my wishlist for the WW show coming up. Oh, and I played with the new colt router and biscuit joiner that showed up. Slept like a baby Sunday night

Jeremy Gibson
02-20-2006, 9:39 PM
I finished framing a folding outfeed table ala Jim Becker design and got Formica cut and glued to the edges of the large folding piece. I had to adjust the garage door to give plenty of ventilation without freezing myself and the contact cement (boy that stuff stinks!) I still have the edges of the skinny fixed piece and the two tops, cut and mount aluminum angle, and fabricate the legs. The leg brackets and screw-on T-nuts are on order from Rockler.

Mike Cutler
02-20-2006, 10:05 PM

You Win.:D. I'm hungry just reading your post.

I'd be tellin' Per to sharpen his own chisels next time, if I had a weekend like that in front of me.;)

My weekend was tearing my old Jet saw down to the guts, cleaning,refurbing it and putting it back together. Got it backup and runing Sunday Nite. Runs much smoother now, and the blade raise, lower actually works again.
I learned a few tricks about aligning one also, but the saw has to be upside down on a table, with all the sheet metal removed to do it.:eek:

Kelly C. Hanna
02-20-2006, 10:31 PM
I did paperwork and estimates...not one minute of shop time.

Dave Fifield
02-21-2006, 2:42 AM
I spent waaay too much time vegging out infront of the 'lympics (in HD yo!) :D

I did manage to drag myself out to my cold 'shop (46 deg - hey, that's cold in CA) to do some bench seat top flattening with a hand plane - that warmed me up nicely! Also I glued up some sheets of thin veneer ply (light-dark-light sandwich with the grain at 90 degrees on each layer) for some lasered biz cards that I have to make.

Weekends are never long enough....:mad:

Vaughn McMillan
02-21-2006, 3:22 AM
Spent time off and on this weekend in the shop, although Monday (which was supposed to be a holiday for me) was interrupted 4 or 5 times with work-related calls and e-mails. (Always seemed to be when I had the hearing protection and respirator on, with machines and radio a-blazin.)

Got the basic box assembled and the first go-round of BLO on a pool cue case I'm working on, and started fabbing some pieces for an adjustable brace for the router table insert in my table saw.

...It was Italian Night. Dinner included antipasti, a fresh pasta made with butter fresh plum tomatoes. basil and parmesan cheese. Minestrone soup, than Ossobuco Milanese (veal shank) with broccoli and Risotto Milanese. Of course coffee and Italian Cheese cake... Ah yes, you're from the Milano Swenson clan, aren't you? :p :D

- Vaughn

Michael Gabbay
02-21-2006, 8:35 AM
I got my six pairs of Blum sliders installed and three of the drawers poly'd for a vanity I'm working on. Three more drawers to poly and then I need to spray the drawer fronts. Hopefully I can get to the drawer fronts this weekend if the weather warms up a little. I have to set up my spray booth in the garage.

Tyler Howell
02-21-2006, 8:53 AM
Good weekend!
Shop time, milled up thresholds for the home remuddle.
A lot of family time we came to a very positive solution for my mother's extended care:) .
I was not only caught off guard but shocked by a surprise Bday party. A lot of good friends.:D :D
Many thanks to all of you for your warm greetings.:cool:

Bob Swenson
02-21-2006, 10:32 AM
Vaughn --It's Chef Bobio

David Fried
02-21-2006, 10:40 AM
The kids are at Mom's house for February vacation and I'm lost. Totally throws off my schedule!

Really cold in the shop but I snuck up and worked on the legs for a box. Briefly. Fired up the lathe for a brief turning session.

Spent most of the weekend cleaning house and doing laundry. Way too quiet around here.

Dave Fried

Byron Trantham
02-21-2006, 10:48 AM
Not too much shop time this weekend. I did become a Grandpa for the forth time! Liam arrived at 8 lbs 6 oz. I haven't seen him yet as I have been babysitting his 2 year old baby brother while "everyone else" is at the hospital.:rolleyes: I get to see him this afternoon.