PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collection with the Incra Systems

Guy Germaine
02-20-2006, 9:37 AM
Not that it makes a whole lot of difference ,since I ordered the Pro 2 Ultra System Saturday (stealth gloat!):D but...

How is dust collection handled on these systems? I know the Wonder Fence has an adapter on the end of the fence tube, but none of the pictures that I've seen of the Pro system show any kind of DC hookups.

Chris Barton
02-20-2006, 9:52 AM
I would say that DC on my Incra Ultra is mediocre at best. It really wasn't designed from a DC standpoint and I can live with that. I only use my Ultra for doing jointery and have a very nice home made fence that has far superior DC for the other run of the mill router table work.

Guy Germaine
02-20-2006, 9:55 AM
That's what I kind of figured. I have my TS table set up pretty decent now, so I'll probably do the same thing.

Jim Becker
02-20-2006, 9:57 AM
Check out this solution (http://home.pacbell.net/jdismuk/routertable.html)...same one I use with my traditional split fence. A simple hole in the table with a cover that slides with the fence as you adjust it.

Ryan Ricks
02-20-2006, 9:59 AM
I have an Ultra system on my router table - I am using the Intelli-Fence instead of the standard fence. It has built-in dust collection above the fence. Dust collection is not built into the standard fence - I don't know how I would modify that one.

-Ryan

JayStPeter
02-20-2006, 12:18 PM
When I had my Incra Ultra, I used a similar solution to the Dizzy one shown in Jim's link. I didn't want to bore a hole in my router table top though since I used the router table as an assembly table also. So, I slightly offset the fence connection to the jig from center and came off the top of the rear extension with a vac hose connection. I did raise and cut the fence like Dizzy to get there though. I almost upgraded to a wonderfence, but wound up ebaying the whole thing and going with a Jointech instead. That decision may have been different if I had the newer ?LS? positioner, but that wasn't even available at the time.

Jay

Jim Becker
02-20-2006, 2:19 PM
Jay, the lack of the hose is what makes the "Dizzy" method so attractive. Far simpler setups and when the fence is on the table, DC is hooked up to it. When it's not, the hole (specifically sized) continues to provide the necessary air flow for good evacuation of the router cabinet. I have a 4" port on my router table cabinet. The calculated "open" area of the average insert opening combined with the hole for the fence and a slot at the bottom of the front door is equal to the area of the 4" port on the back of the cabinet.

Gary Hoemann
02-21-2006, 9:59 AM
I have been looking for that information on Dizzy's dust collection for a long time. Knew I had seen a great solution, just couldn't remember where.
Is that shape angleiron something you can readily buy?

Hoa Dinh
02-21-2006, 10:41 AM
I should also mention that the downdraft dust collection makes dust collection in fence-less routing much easier - and safer. See this photo (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hoa_dinh@sbcglobal.net/detail?.dir=203c&.dnm=f7cf.jpg&.src=ph).

Woodpeck sells the table bracket. You may need to raise it a bit, however.

http://www.woodpeck.com/media/tablebracket.jpg

Jim Becker
02-21-2006, 1:59 PM
Hoa, thanks for posting that! Great idea...'gonna have to add that to my "list" of shop improvements!!

Chris Damm
02-21-2006, 3:45 PM
I just bolted 2 pieces of 1.5" alum. angle together. I bought a piece of HDPE on that auction site. It works great!

JayStPeter
02-21-2006, 6:50 PM
Jay, the lack of the hose is what makes the "Dizzy" method so attractive. Far simpler setups and when the fence is on the table, DC is hooked up to it. When it's not, the hole (specifically sized) continues to provide the necessary air flow for good evacuation of the router cabinet. I have a 4" port on my router table cabinet. The calculated "open" area of the average insert opening combined with the hole for the fence and a slot at the bottom of the front door is equal to the area of the 4" port on the back of the cabinet.

Yep, makes sense. When I get around to it, my plan is to cut a hole in the back of the cabinet and run a short hose to the connection on my jointech fence (no choice for hole in the table there). Same reasoning applies.

Back when I had the Incra, I also had a smaller shop. I made the router table large at 28" x 48". I had a small vice attached to it and used it for everything as it was my only flat surface besides the top of my TS. Another hole in the top wasn't desirable for its other uses. Otherwise it would probably have one as it would've been LOTS easier to implement than what I did :rolleyes: :D

Jay

Jim Becker
02-21-2006, 9:33 PM
Jay, I used to be tethered with a hose from the cabinet to the fence on my previous router table. I don't miss it one bit! And with that little idea that Hoa posted about...I'm going to solve yet another problem with the "new" method I now use. The good thing about this, however...is that we have a number of choices and there is no one best way for everyone.

Guy Germaine
02-22-2006, 9:25 AM
Not to get too far off this topic (I'm learning a LOT), but what is the recommended table size for the 24" Ultra? I already know that my current table is too small, and will need to build a new one. If I knew what size I needed to make, I could get it started (and maybe finished) before the new unit arrives.