PDA

View Full Version : PineWood Derby Experience

scott spencer
02-20-2006, 9:04 AM
Cubscout dues - $80
Uniform - $50
Spraypaint - $11
Spending time with your favorite 10 year old and seeing the smile on his face when he poses with his plaque ... Absolutely priceless...
:)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/PD7.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/PD6.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/PD2.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/PD2cars1.jpg
(w/last year's car)

tod evans
02-20-2006, 9:12 AM
way to go scott! i`ll be looking forward to that in a few years, congratulations to you and your son! tod

Jay Knoll
02-20-2006, 9:22 AM
Nick going Scott

Do they still hold the event down in Durand Park by the lake? When I was a kid they had a big starting ramp set up at the top of the hill, those things screamed (at least it seemed that way when I was a kid!)

Jay

scott spencer
02-20-2006, 9:28 AM
Nick going Scott

Do they still hold the event down in Durand Park by the lake? When I was a kid they had a big starting ramp set up at the top of the hill, those things screamed (at least it seemed that way when I was a kid!)

Jay Thanks Jay (and Tod) - They still hold the "Soapbox" Derby on Lakeshore Blvd right near Durand Eastman Park....I suspect that's the same location...it's just about perfect. The cars are much smaller for the Pinewood though....about 7" long. They build a 10 lane ramp that's maybe 40' long and hold the event in a gym. It has electronic eyes at the finish and they computerize everything. It's pretty amazing...we had over 50 cars this year. Between my 3 boys, it's the 4th one we've participated in. (We never have gotten the knack for speed down, but the last 3 cars have at least looked good!

The Soapbox looks fun, but so far we've never ventured into it.....and please don't send any of my kids an email suggesting it! :rolleyes: :D

john whittaker
02-20-2006, 3:57 PM
Scott, Thanks for posting. It brings back very fond memories. The first year my son (many years ago) raced his pinewood derby car we were entirely new to the "sport" and had no clue as to how "into it" some of the "experienced dad's" & son's were. Sons car was basically a box which he painted dark green with 4 wheels. He did cut a wedge shape in the front but other than that, it was a box. Definitely not as stylish as you cars. But for some reason....very fast.

Well, he won 1st place in his age group and 2nd overall. BIG smile on his face....BIGGER smile on mine.:D He had done all the assembly work himself so was very proud of his accomplishments.

Kids & parents....Enjoy you time together.

FYI - The next year....I was in charge of the local Pinewood Derby and had to deal with all the "professional dad's" trying to bend the rules and gain an advantage...They shaved wheels, oiled the axles, added too much weight etc....I had to disqualify several cars (dad's) which was not fun for their kids. What some folks will do...:confused:

Anyway....great looking cars. Congratulations.

Gary Herrmann
02-21-2006, 3:38 PM
That is a good looking car. Nicely done. I bandsawed out the rough shape for my neighbor's son's car. Poor guy was going to try to use a belt sander to remove the waste. My son is too young for the derby yet. I think it would be a lot of fun to work on a car with him.

Vaughn McMillan
02-22-2006, 4:09 AM
I can see why it won best in show, Scott. Really cool lines. Congrats to your son for an excellent project.

- Vaughn

scott spencer
02-22-2006, 8:01 AM
That is a good looking car. Nicely done. I bandsawed out the rough shape for my neighbor's son's car. Poor guy was going to try to use a belt sander to remove the waste. My son is too young for the derby yet. I think it would be a lot of fun to work on a car with him. Hi Gary - You'll really enjoy working with your son (or daugher). Evan's shown more interest in my shop than the other kids have, and is often my right hand man out there....this was pretty special to do together....he's a great kid. We got lucky with some unusually warm weather. I did the bandsawing too. With supervision, Evan actually ripped and crosscut the stock I bandsawed, did the sanding, did most of the painting, and made all of the final decisions. I made lots of suggestions and got overruled several times. We did alot of the steps together...it's just easier with 4 hands than 2. He got sick about 6 days before the derby, so I taped and painted the cockpit for him, and put the wheels on. The most fun was early on trying to decide what to build, how to build it, what colors to use, and rummaging through the house looking for things to use on the car.

Thanks everyone!