PDA

View Full Version : Finished Bowl

Jim Dunn
02-19-2006, 11:26 PM
Last weekend I bought some spalted elm from Tom Sontag. Sunday last I roughed it out and posted my progress at that time. Soaked it in DNA Monday and wrapped it in Glad Press and Seal wrapping stuff. Last night I painted it with the epoxy DNA mix. Here 24hrs later are the pics of the finished project. I noticed right away that the spalted area was hard and turned quite easily. The rest of the bowl was harder than heck. Almost like turning completely dry wood. I wouldn't have thought it would dry that quickly.

Thanks for looking and please, comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Jim

Bernie Weishapl
02-20-2006, 12:05 AM
Looks mighty good Jim. Did you use the DNA/Epoxy mix for a finish or did you have some wood to stablize? Great work Jim.

John Hart
02-20-2006, 7:25 AM
Comin' right along Jim! I have a feeling that you are going to love doing the different lips on things. You seem to have the flare for it. Looks good.

Jim Dunn
02-20-2006, 7:46 AM
I had actually under cut the rim when I roughed it out. But wood being what it is I didn't have enough left to hollow it out and do much under cutting.

Keith Burns
02-20-2006, 8:22 AM
Nice piece Jim, keep 'um coming:)

Corey Hallagan
02-20-2006, 9:54 AM
very nice Jim, I like the shape, it's a little different then we normally see. Nice design for a small box as well.

Corey