PDA

View Full Version : The Abyss - Start Up Essentials

Andy Hoyt
02-19-2006, 9:07 PM
Now that things have pretty much settled down out there in Salmon Bonker, Idaho; I thought you folks would like to see the list of stuff that you recommended as being a smart purchase for his new mini lathe.

I'm also thinking that there are other folks who could benefit from this list. That said, it is by no means the end of it all. Just a good place to start.

Lathe
Scroll Chuck
Dial Calipers
Face Shield
Shop Vac or DC
Bill Grumbine’s DVD
Grinder
Wolverine Grinding Jig
Oneway Vari-Grind
⅛” Parting tool
¾” Skew
½” Spindle Gouge
Cheapo Harbor Freight Tool Set
¾” Roughing Gouge
⅜” Bowl gouge
1” Round Nose Scraper
Dust Be Gone Mask
Multi-pack Abrasive Sandpaper
Myland’s Friction Polish
Lighting System
Dedicated Garbage Can
Trash Bags
Lightweight Grain Shovel
Woodturning Design Magazine
Turning Club Membership
Anti Fatigue Mat
Shower Curtain

Feel free to comment and/or add to this.

Chris Barton
02-19-2006, 9:09 PM
Good list Andy. I recently suggested to one of our esteemed moderators that perhaps we should create a sticky thread on getting started in turning. If we do, your list should be required reading.:D

Barry Stratton
02-19-2006, 9:31 PM
THANKS! As a flatlander heading into the spinny world, this list couldn't have come at a better time...

Bernie Weishapl
02-19-2006, 11:18 PM
Andy very nice. Like the list and should help anyone wanting to get started.

Lee DeRaud
02-20-2006, 12:56 AM
Uh, "abrasive sandpaper"?!? As opposed to...?

Ken Fitzgerald
02-20-2006, 12:57 AM
As the worn out stuff isn't abrasive anymore......You really need new stuff.....

John Hart
02-20-2006, 7:38 AM

Good point....need to add the non-abrasive stuff to the list....paper bag...polishing cloth...t-shirts...Keith Burn's old underwear...etc.;)

Andy Hoyt
02-20-2006, 8:26 AM

Oooiiyy! I'd go fix that right now, but then your post wouldn't be so funny.

Reminds me of the time I was on an ambulance run and radioed the hospital that we were bringing in an eleven year old female girl.

Jon Farley
02-20-2006, 9:13 AM
Thanks for the good info, Andy. I printed it out to keep on file. As a "pre-beginner," I am planning on entering the abyss later this winter with the purchase of my first lathe. And, LOML has given me the green light to go for a big, quality machine right out of the gate, so I am excited.

Lee DeRaud
02-20-2006, 10:13 AM
Reminds me of the time I was on an ambulance run and radioed the hospital that we were bringing in an eleven year old female girl.Good thing, too, otherwise they might have operated on her twin brother by mistake.

(There was a pair of fraternal twins at my high-school that occasionally went to Halloween parties dressed as each other.:p )

Chip Sutherland
02-20-2006, 9:23 PM
Somebody tell me what the shower curtain is for.....showers?

Keith Burns
02-20-2006, 9:29 PM
Good point....need to add the non-abrasive stuff to the list....paper bag...polishing cloth...t-shirts...Keith Burn's old underwear...etc.;)

I knew that one would come back to haunt me:eek:

Andy Hoyt
02-20-2006, 9:36 PM
Somebody tell me what the shower curtain is for.....showers?
If you're a neat freak like Chris Barton:D, you surround the lathe with shower curtains strung floor to ceiling in order to keep the shavings from flying all over the place.

Some guys like it - but not me. I like making a BIG mess. Plus, I'm a teentsy bit claustrophic.

Dontcha wish these panels that we typed in were wider bigger longer? See:D

Keith Burns
02-20-2006, 9:37 PM
Andy that is a great list and should help a beginner. I think though that it should be put in order of necessity, not that I know necessarly what that order should be necessarily. I do know for someone starting and on a budget a scroll chuck could be on the bottom of the list of priorties. You can turn anything with a face plate and waste block that you can turn with a chuck. Just my pennies worth.:)

Jim Dunn
02-20-2006, 9:37 PM
The shower curtain is for deflecting chips directly into your shoes:eek::eek: Naw, it's for stopping the shower of chips from being thrown all around the shop.