PDA

View Full Version : Project: A Mini Vaaaaaaasssssee

Jim Becker
02-19-2006, 8:45 PM
So, while having to keep the eyes on the back of my head pointed outside the shop to "monitor" the play activities of two certain little girls, I managed to attach myself to the spinny thing for a little while this afternoon. This piece certainly put a major strain on the Stubby, but I managed to keep it spinning long enough to transform a piece of dry and gnarly mountain laurel root into this vaaaaaaaaseeeeeeee. Oh, ok...so it's Barbie sized. :) 2 hp was just enough power to do the job. :D
--------

1 3/8" tall by 1" in diameter. It was mostly shaped between centers and then mounted in spigot jaws with a small tenon left on the bottom. (The base stabilized it against the chuck jaws) A 7/16" Forstner bit was used to remove stock from the inside before some additional hollowing work with small tools. It had a little nicer upper rim, but an inclusion forced me to reshape after reversing. A 7/16" "dowel" turned from scrap and placed in the chuck then served to hold the piece snuggly for said reshaping with a little tail stock support.

It's not fully hollowed...I didn't have the patience today for it. I still need to add some finish to the inside as I just used some spray shellac while the piece was still reversed on the lathe. It's a very attractive piece of wood, however, and I do like the working properties of it...it cuts smooth! Not a great photo...it wasn't worth setting up the photo booth in the freezing cold.

Chris Barton
02-19-2006, 9:07 PM
Jim,

I recently did some itty bitty stuff for my 8yo daughter because she was doing a report about the Egyptians and wanted some "vessels" for her diaorama of a tomb. You do nice work! And your kids will remeber it forever...

Corey Hallagan
02-19-2006, 9:40 PM
Very nice, looks like it should have some mini flowers in it Jim! Thanks for the photo.

Corey

Joe Mioux
02-19-2006, 9:46 PM
Just wait.....

You will be in your shop trying to get something done and then.....!

THEY COME BARGING IN.....

Then you will sit back, grab a soda and watch them "ruin" your entire afternoon's woodworking projects and you will enjoy every minute!

Joe

Gary Max
02-19-2006, 9:50 PM
Heck I bet it took hours of hard work just to clean the mountain of sawdust and chips up.
Nice job Jim

Bill Stevener
02-19-2006, 10:10 PM
Looks like you had quite a rewarding afternoon. Now you know Jim, with a showing like this, folks are going to expect to see an entry from you in this years Itty Bitty Contest. :D

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Ernie Nyvall
02-19-2006, 10:17 PM
I like that form Jim. It's very pleasing.

Do you have a doll house all set up for the girls?

Ernie

Jim Becker
02-19-2006, 10:33 PM
I like that form Jim. It's very pleasing.

Do you have a doll house all set up for the girls?

Thanks, Ernie. Honestly, the form was MUCH better before I had to "redesign" it due to the unfortunately location of the inclusion in the rim.

No doll house yet...they have too many toys as it is. That may seem strange, but it can be overwhelming, especially for Alesya, the younger girl. She's having trouble dealing with what she has now. (Having grown up with basically nothing...)

folks are going to expect to see an entry from you in this years Itty Bitty Contest.

Perhaps, but judging is a rewarding thing, too...

Bernie Weishapl
02-19-2006, 10:54 PM
Great job Jim. Looks mighty fine. Love those mini's.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-19-2006, 11:13 PM
Excellent itty bitty Jim!

John Hart
02-20-2006, 7:16 AM
Nice work Jim! I don't know what it looked like before the inclusion, but this final form is very pleasing for sure! Cool!!:)

Jim Dunn
02-20-2006, 8:02 AM
Very nice teeny tiny vase. You got more letters describing it than it takes to build a small dictionary.:)

Keith Burns
02-20-2006, 8:11 AM
Very nice itty bitty Jim. Very nice form. Be careful, these tiny things are addictive:D

Jim Becker
02-20-2006, 10:06 AM
I don't know what it looked like before the inclusion

The top had a little more flare and balance with the rest of the piece, which was also a little broader and rounder. I had to reshape the lower end once the top end got reduced to avoid the "cheap wine bottle" look...

This one is ok, but not what I originally intended. No problem. There will be more.

Thanks for the kind comments, folks. Itty-bitty can be fun. It also takes nearly the same time as bigger pieces! LOL

Mike Ramsey
02-20-2006, 7:11 PM
Real nice itty bitty Jim!

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-20-2006, 10:47 PM
Cute Itty thete, Jim.

Bruce