PDA

View Full Version : Two on one

Ron Ainge
02-19-2006, 6:55 PM
Here is a couple of pictures of a bowl that I turned and the LOML did the buringe on. the wood is Basswood and it is about 8 inches in diameter and 3 inches hige. There is no finish on it yet and I am just a little bit afraid to put any one it for fear that I will ruin it. I turned it yesterday morning and then ask my wife to put a flower in the middle of it and some around the edge. When she brought it down to the shop to show me it took my breath. I told her that I thought it was bueatiful and she just acted like I was trying to make her feel good. After lunch we had to run to Woodcraft for something and I took the bowl to she what they thought. The manager told me that if I wanted to when it is finished I could bring it to them and they would put it in there display case so everyone could see it. Everyone there made such a fuss over it that my wife left there feeling really good. I had ba big smile on my face also.

Bernie Weishapl
02-19-2006, 6:58 PM
Ron that is awesome. Absolutely beautiful. You both did a great job. I like it.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-19-2006, 7:07 PM
Beautiful bowl! Any figure and color in the wood would detract from the burning! Looks like a tag team match to me!

Travis Stinson
02-19-2006, 7:13 PM
That's awesome Ron. You'd better sign her up for more. Great job!

Gary Max
02-19-2006, 7:15 PM
Looks great--two art forms on one item-- as soft as Basswood is you are just about going to have to finish it with something. If you don't it will pick up dirt real fast even finger prints will show.
I am glad to see something turned out of Basswood---heck I got a huge stack of it drying right now.

David Fried
02-19-2006, 7:18 PM
Ron,

That's too nice to put ice cream in! To both of you, Great Job!

Dave Fried

Chris Barton
02-19-2006, 8:14 PM
very nice touch! I really like the embelishments!

Ron Ainge
02-19-2006, 8:21 PM
Thanks for the nice comments. The LOML's head is getting so big that I am glad she does not wear a hat because they don't make one that size. She is sitting right behind me with a great big smile on her face. I think we got her hooked.

Andy Hoyt
02-19-2006, 8:25 PM
That's really nice, Ron. Your sweetie should be proud.

My wife did some burning on a piece I did a while back and it too came out quite well.

I wonder if you and I are onto something here - working together?:D

Jim Ketron
02-19-2006, 9:13 PM
Nice work on both accounts!

dennis kranz
02-19-2006, 9:22 PM
That realy looks great. You both did very well. My wife also did some burning of a couple of my pieces. Keep us nice and warm while we watched some TV.
Dennis

Corey Hallagan
02-19-2006, 9:37 PM
Ditto what has been said, just too kewl!!

corey

John Hart
02-20-2006, 7:12 AM
Wow!!! Is that a knock-out or what??!!! Beautiful piece all around. I bet a blonde shellac will treat it with the respect that it is deserving.

Wonderful piece....both of you.:)

Jim Dunn
02-20-2006, 8:05 AM
The best compliment is you both worked on together. It is outstanding!

Keith Burns
02-20-2006, 8:08 AM
Great colabrative piece.:) :)

John Miliunas
02-20-2006, 8:34 AM
That's really cool, Ron! Oh, not just the piece itself, as we can see it's wonderful but, the team effort thing is equally cool! :) Great results for a super joint effort. Keep it up, you two! :) :cool:

Ron Ainge
02-20-2006, 3:36 PM
I now have it finished. I did not want to change the color of the piece so I put some Laquor sanding sealer on it last night and then used my beall buffing system on it today. The only difference I can tell in it is that it now have a nice low luster finish on it. Thanks for the nice comments everyone. Andy I think that you are right it is bettere if the two of us work together to make something nice out of something real plain.

Mike Ramsey
02-20-2006, 7:15 PM
Yep, what they said! Really nice bowl and burnings!!

Ernie Nyvall
02-20-2006, 7:25 PM
Very nice job to the both of you Ron. That's cool about Woodcraft. Congrats.

Ernie

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-20-2006, 10:45 PM
You AND your wife made a beautiful colaboration.

Love it!

Bruce

Ron Ainge
02-21-2006, 9:45 AM
I want to thank all of you for your nice comments about the work that the LOML did on this bowl. It was her first attempt at burning a picture on wood and becasue of the comments that she has gotten from it she has decided that she wants to do more. Last night she put a fawn on the side of a bowl. She is now looking for a place that she can take lessons so as she says she can get better. I think that she does great already. Thanks again for the encouragement.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-21-2006, 9:47 AM
Ron.........I would never discourage a person from taking lessons in anything but the LOYL demonstrated a lot of natural talent on her first project!

John Hart
02-21-2006, 9:56 AM
Yeah...maybe she should find a class and take over as an instructor!!;)

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
02-21-2006, 2:44 PM
Ron that is one nice piece of work, I agree, you should both be proud!

Make sure they have a good lock on that display case!

Cheers!