PDA

View Full Version : Best Starter Lathe???

Jason Morgan
02-19-2006, 6:37 PM
This may e more appropriate in the turning forum, but I think is can go here also. What would you all suggest as the best starter lathe? I am looking to stay in the <$1k range and would like to have something that would serve as a "single purchase" piece of equipment. I am keen to round out my shop with this piece of equipment.

Cecil Arnold
02-19-2006, 6:46 PM
At that price you're looking at the Jet 1442 or the compairable Delta. You may be able to find a used Jet 1642, which would be a good buy. Get the best you can the first time.

John Timberlake
02-19-2006, 8:58 PM
I have the Jet 1442 and have been happy with it - about the right price range. I have turned bowls up to 14" and done a four poster bed for my son with only two parts for each post. You can still use it for smaller projects such as pens. It also uses the standard 1"x8tpi chuck so you will have no problem finding accessories, maybe even used. I am sure there are others in the same range. This is just what I have in my shop and it is a big step up from the Jet 1236.

Allen Bookout
02-20-2006, 8:42 AM
I am supprised that there have not been more responses to this question. Perhaps most of the turners just look at the Tuner's Forum or perhaps there are just not that many options. I am interested is seeing the opinions myself as I know nothing about turning but would like to have this information for future reference. Allen

Chris Barton
02-20-2006, 9:07 AM
Allen, I suspect your hunch is right. This topic would garner more response on the turners forum. There has been some discussion about creating some sort of "legacy thread" on this subject as well since this question is asked on at least a weekly (daily?) basis. I also think there has been some thought by the more experienced turners to avoiding actual brand and model reccomendations since viewpoints vary so widely.

Jason, try doing a search using the key words, "first lathe" or "beginners lathe" and I suspect you will find hundreds of posts on this topic.

Jason Morgan
02-20-2006, 12:03 PM
Chris,

I did just that and found a lot of what I was looking for in the turners forum. Looks like as far as the lathe goes, either the Jet 1442 at $1k or the Delta 12" at $600 are my options.

After reading more about it though, I am not sure what all I am gettingmyself into. Ill need tools and a grinder and chucks and on and on. Sounds to me like the lathe is the least of my costs, its all the other stuff that goes with it that will break the bank. I guess thats not different then any other tool. Start small and work your way up.

Chris Barton
02-20-2006, 12:10 PM
Jason,

You have learned a lot already. Really, the best thing to do would be to find a wood turning club in your area or a Woodcraft (or other store) that offers lessons and get your feet wet and try out a few machines first. Then, you may have a much better grasp of what it is you want to do and what equipment you need to do it. Best of luck and let us know if we can be of help.

Bernie Weishapl
02-20-2006, 12:13 PM
Jason you got that right. The lathe depending on which one you buy is the cheap part. I bought a Delta Midi which can turn up to 10" bowls, pens and boxes. That is what I like to do. The lathe cost $250 and total to date is $800. So you can do the math. Get the best lathe you can and I would go for the 1442. Just my $1.298.

Bill Grumbine
02-21-2006, 8:53 PM
Hi Jason

Before I say anything about the best lathe for under a grand, what is it that you want to do with it? If you are a woodworker looking to make table legs, chair stretchers, and knobs, a mini lathe with a bed extension may be all the lathe you ever need. If you have the itch to make bowls, a mini may still be all you need. If you want to make big bowls, or bigger bowls anyway, then you are going to need a bigger lathe, such as the Jet 1442 already mentioned.

As has been mentioned many times before, you are going to get what you pay for. One of the biggest problems with lathes under $1000 is the high starting speed, especially combined with a relatively light weight. This is not a problem for spindles or smaller well balanced pieces, but if you want to put a big unbalanced piece of wood on the lathe, you have to expect that it is going to chase you around the shop some. My Poolewood weighs in at 700 lbs and has an A frame stand, and it can't always start out at 600 rpm. That is not to say that there are no good lathes for under a grand. I am just saying that there are various capabilities and limitations, and a lot of what you are going to want depends on what you want to turn.

So, what is it you have in mind? Spindles, bowls, hollow forms? I will warn you, a lathe will do more to you than you might think. I bought my first lathe to turn table legs and stuff like that. I never turned a table leg until I was on my seventh lathe, and I am mostly known for my bowls and hollow forms! I do turn table legs, just not as many as I thought I might. And even though SWMBO declared that that seventh lathe was the last, I have purchased two more (with her blessing) since then. So you never know... You might even end up being in a movie some day! :D

Bill