PDA

View Full Version : Bloodwood Ice Cream Bowl

John Hart
02-19-2006, 5:44 PM
Ok...well, maybe not for ice cream, but I'm sure it'll hold some!

This is Bloodwood with a Mahogany section. Finished with the special sauce and measures 8.5" diameter and 2.5" high

I was going for thin and low profile just to see what it would look like....so..uh....this is what it looks like. :)

Cecil Arnold
02-19-2006, 6:01 PM
Say high roller, that looks good to me. Where did you find a piece of bloodwood that large.

John Hart
02-19-2006, 6:07 PM
Say high roller, that looks good to me. Where did you find a piece of bloodwood that large.

Oh...sorry about that. It's just 3/4 bloodwood slabs. There's a total of 4 slabs...including the one mahogany piece. I just had some leftover boards from a previous life in Flatland.:D

Chris Barton
02-19-2006, 6:13 PM
Ok...well, maybe not for ice cream, but I'm sure it'll hold some!

It looks nice John but, it is simply too small to even be considered for ice cream, at least at my house...

George Conklin
02-19-2006, 6:53 PM
I think we're starting to think alike, John:eek:

I think of mine as sort of a Zoro hat.

Now if I could only turn like you

George

Bernie Weishapl
02-19-2006, 6:57 PM
John that looks great. Beautiful work. Maybe one dip of Crushed Oreo ice cream.

Frank Parker
02-19-2006, 6:58 PM
That looks great John, I've never turned any Bloodwood.
Frank

Bill Stevener
02-19-2006, 7:10 PM
Very nice turning, where you have married the pieces in the form. One would not know, less you mentioned it. So you did. Looks like an outstanding ice cream bowl to me, might not hold a lot, but it will catch all the drips.:D

Bill>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

David Fried
02-19-2006, 7:22 PM
Nice! Would work well in one of those fancy restaurants where they only give you one scoop and drizzle the syrup all over the plate. (Why do they do that?)

I like how the grain seems to get sucked into the bowl!

Dave Fried

Mark Singer
02-19-2006, 7:37 PM
John,
Wonderful! Too nice for ice cream.....unless it was Shlamaca:confused:

Barry Stratton
02-19-2006, 9:28 PM
Now that is nice. The grain looks like a vortex, sucking one into the bowl...............

Corey Hallagan
02-19-2006, 9:32 PM
Excellent John, I love the shape and color of the wood together.

Corey

Chris DiCiaccio
02-19-2006, 9:54 PM
Thin and low looks great! In fact it looks perfect. Bet that was fun turning.

Dick Parr
02-20-2006, 1:51 AM
That really looks nice John.

Vaughn McMillan
02-20-2006, 3:55 AM
John,
Wonderful! Too nice for ice cream.....unless it was Shlamaca:confused: Wow Mark...I didn't realize they even HAD shlamaca ice cream. I learn something new every day here at the Creek. :p

Very pretty bowl, John. The wood looks sweet -- great grain and color. To be perfectly honest, there's something about the shape of the base that doesn't please my eye the way the bowl part itself does. Also, I really like surprise of seeing the mahogany in the bottom of the inside of the bowl, but it feels out of place on the outside to me. Keep in mind that's only my rookie opinion and doesn't reflect poorly on your work at all. Turning forms, like any art, is really subjective, and your work definitely qualifies as art.

- Vaughn

John Hart
02-20-2006, 6:27 AM
Thanks for all the kind comments everyone! It was pretty interesting to turn...but I will say that Bloodwood is not on my list of favorites. It sands and finishes real nice but kinda powdery to turn. It also has a tendancy to splinter. In fact, I got harpooned during this session, and it really affected the outcome. About a one and a half inch splinter must have been hanging out of the edge and went right through the fat part of my thumb. It didn't hurt too bad going in.....but it sure hurt like the dickens coming out!!:eek: Lots of that red stuff leaking out of me too. Guess thats why they call it bloodwood.;)
Anyway, after that incident, I had trouble concentrating and it may have affected the form on the outside. I enjoyed doing this type of turning and I think I'll do some more of it.
The pictures don't really capture the swirling of the grain as well as in person...It really does look like a vortex!

Thanks again!

Oh...and George....Nice Bowl!!!!:) :D

John Hart
02-20-2006, 6:39 AM
Wow Mark...I didn't realize they even HAD shlamaca ice cream. I learn something new every day here at the Creek. :p

Very pretty bowl, John. The wood looks sweet -- great grain and color. To be perfectly honest, there's something about the shape of the base that doesn't please my eye the way the bowl part itself does. Also, I really like surprise of seeing the mahogany in the bottom of the inside of the bowl, but it feels out of place on the outside to me. Keep in mind that's only my rookie opinion and doesn't reflect poorly on your work at all. Turning forms, like any art, is really subjective, and your work definitely qualifies as art.

- Vaughn

Thanks Vaughn for the critique. You kinda confirmed some thoughts that I was having as well. That the outside just doesn't quite compliment the inside. I think what I have to do is make the slabs a little larger so I can get better flow through to the bottom. This one is choppy in my opinion. After getting lanced, I sorta lost my flow. Lessons learned...the next one will look better I hope. You did give me an idea too...I bet I can hide the lighter wood from the outside and let it show on the inside. That'll be cool!!!;)

I knew about the Shlamaca berries but I didn't know that they made Ice Cream now!!! I gotta get out more.:o

Jim Dunn
02-20-2006, 8:09 AM
John I like it. It's definately different but you just finished you IT project and you needed a break, right? Heal up that thumb and get back in there. Get right back on that hor... oh never mind.

Keith Burns
02-20-2006, 8:16 AM
Very nice John:) . I know others have already said it but I have to say it as well. The first thing that caught my eye was the vortex. Another winner for sure:) :)

John Miliunas
02-20-2006, 8:41 AM
Hey John, generally, I like it but, I have to agree with Vaughn regarding the ultimate shape of the outside. Yeah..I know...Getting harpooned didn't help matters!!! :eek: One other thing, which I think may even help the "vortex visionary" a bit more: A real, real dark wood for the bottom, I think may even improve the vortex illusion. Kind of like the "black hole" that turners are subject to.:) In any case, a great effort and yet another learning experience. Thanks for the post, John! :) :cool:

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
02-20-2006, 9:12 AM
Sure is different.

That is really nice looking wood, too bad about your thumb, hope you didn't get any of that red stuff on the bowl!

Upside down it looks like a funny hat......

But, who am I to talk, I still don't have my blanking blankity blank lathe......

:mad:

Ernie Nyvall
02-20-2006, 10:05 PM
Woah, I missed this one. I like that form and that bloodwood is nice. I gotta get out more.

Ernie

Mike Ramsey
02-20-2006, 11:04 PM
I missed it too! John very nice bowl! I have to say that it's completely
different from the rest of your work, that I've seen anyway...The
bottom is taking some getting used too...but hey it's different &
I like different!