PDA

View Full Version : Warning! Marvin workshop heaters!

Tom Pritchard
02-19-2006, 3:59 PM
I didn't know whether to post this here or in the General Woodworking Forum, so I thought that I would start here. My boys bought me a Marvin Overhead Quartz Workshop Heater Model 7260 (Heat 'n Light) for Christmas last year. It's a very good heater, as it is a radiant design that heats objects and not the air. Since I'm often only in my shop for a short time, it gives great "spot" heat to take the chill off my unheated basement worshop. Today is the first really cold day that we have had this winter, and I spent about 3 hours in the shop, using the heater. I left the shop for a short time, and when I came back, I could smell something similar to when you burn a piece of wood. What I found is that the joists and flooring directly above the heater were too hot to touch:eek: ! I mounted the heater exactly as directed by the instruction manual, and I can't believe the amount of heat that was being absorbed from it by the surrounding wood!

I took the heater down, and mounted a 36"X26" aluminum plate above the heater on 2 1/2" standoffs. There is now enough air circulating above the plate that after 2 hours of use, the joists and flooring above the heater are still cool to the touch. My digital temperature probe shows the air temp above the plate at 78 degrees. I'm OK again! Whew! Here's some pictures of the heater with the standoffs and plate mounted. I was so shook up that I failed to take any "before" pictures. So much for woodworking today, but this was a good job completed!!! Thanks for reading this (if you made it this far:) )!

Lou Morrissette
02-19-2006, 4:15 PM
Tom,

What a coincidence. I was just surfing for a heater for my basement shop. As you know it got a little chilly here in the northeast. Thanks for the heads-up on that potential problem you encountered. Also, thanks for sharing your "fix". Other than the potential disaster, how do you like your heater?

thanks

Lou

Tom Pritchard
02-19-2006, 4:24 PM
Lou, I love the heater. It's like standing in the sun when it's on, and you can choose either 1 or 2 quartz elements (750 and 1500 watts) for just the right amount of heat. I like to turn it on and sit at my bench reading WW magazines and books. It really is nice.

Jim O'Dell
02-19-2006, 6:32 PM
Looks like the aluminum sheet will also reflect some on the energy, that was going up causing the problem, back down to where it will do the most good. Great solution. Nice that you just happened to have that around!!! Jim.

scott spencer
02-19-2006, 9:35 PM
Glad I didn't read about this in the D&C!

Jim Becker
02-19-2006, 9:48 PM
I have three of these units and have not had the excessive heating issue you mention to the best of my knowledge. But my engineered joists are also very deep, leaving a lot of air between the heater and most of the solid stuff. I'll have to do a spot check next time I'm in the shop...thanks for the heads up.

Tom Pritchard
02-19-2006, 10:48 PM
I have three of these units and have not had the excessive heating issue you mention to the best of my knowledge. But my engineered joists are also very deep, leaving a lot of air between the heater and most of the solid stuff. I'll have to do a spot check next time I'm in the shop...thanks for the heads up.

Jim, my joists are 9" deep, and the bracket for the heater holds it an additional 5" down. The amount of heat being absorbed by the floor was startling! Please check yours out the next time you use them, I would be interested in knowing if you find a similar situation. Take care Jim!