PDA

View Full Version : No more woodshop for me

Gregg Mason
02-19-2006, 11:32 AM
No more woodshop for me. :eek:

Well, just for 6 months of so. My house is sold and I'll be moving into a rental in 2 weeks. This is all part of a grand plan for a new house, so it will be worth it. We should be starting construction in May. Breaking down and hauling equipment out of the basement shop was the part I was NOT looking forward to most. Everthing will be going into storage for the next 6 months.

Any sugestions for preparing tools for storage ? I'm planning to put a fresh coat of paste wax on the tables. Anything else ?

John Miliunas
02-19-2006, 11:54 AM
No more woodshop for me. :eek:

Well, just for 6 months of so. My house is sold and I'll be moving into a rental in 2 weeks. This is all part of a grand plan for a new house, so it will be worth it. We should be starting construction in May. Breaking down and hauling equipment out of the basement shop was the part I was NOT looking forward to most. Everthing will be going into storage for the next 6 months.

Any sugestions for preparing tools for storage ? I'm planning to put a fresh coat of paste wax on the tables. Anything else ?

Gregg, congrats on getting a start for new digs! :) Take the following info by way of 3rd hand knowledge. A good friend of mine moved from WI to FL a couple years ago. He does WW for a living and was unable to move all is equipment for quite some time and put it in storage. Around these parts, we have very wide temp & humidity swings and he wasn't about to take chances. He took the "messy" way out. All of his bare metal surfaces had bearing grease applied in heavy doses, once we got the equipment moved to the rental storage unit!!! :eek: I asked him about using wax and he simply said that, this is not the first time he's had to do this and this was the way he knew works! The guy takes great pride in his equipment and depends on it for a living, so I was not about to argue with him! :D FWIW, he has since been able to move everything down South with him, over the course of close to two years and all is good with his machines. :) Good luck! :) :cool:

Jim O'Dell
02-19-2006, 12:55 PM
I wonder if there is a source for the cosmoline, or what ever the stuff is, that is used on tools to ship to us from overseas? I would think that we (the US) still ship some metal parts overseas and would have to have something like this that would work. Maybe find someone in the export business that has some contacts? I would hope to find something a little lower viscosity than axle grease but would prefer that to ruining the tools with rust. Jim.

Robert Mickley
02-19-2006, 12:59 PM
I went through the storage thing between the last palce and this one. I waxed the heck out of everything and it bit me. :( I didn't have a lot of rust damage but I did have some. If I ever have to go through that again its going to be cosmoline or grease

Jim Becker
02-19-2006, 1:33 PM
Congratulations, Gregg. Despite the lack of a shop for awhile, the greater project goal is worthy of the inconvenience!

I think you'll be fine with a good double coat of paste wax, but if you feel more comfortable with more of a petroleum product, it will work fine, too...despite the nastier cleanup.

Matt Meiser
02-19-2006, 2:26 PM
When we moved to our current house we had to put EVERYTHING in storage because of the way the deals worked out. I ended up leaving my equipment in storage for about 3 months so that I could easily work inside my shop to finish it. On the recommendation my old neighbor who is the manager of a local tool store, I tried Boeshield. When I first pulled stuff out, I thought that it hadn't worked because some of my cast iron looked rusty. But after buffing with a towel, the cast iron looked good as new.

A couple other suggestions. First, I went to Harbor Freight and bought about 3 sets of large swivel casters. I put my outfeed cabinet on temporary casters, and also got two pallets and put casters under them. I used cheap 3/8" plywood to make bins out of the pallets. This made moving dust collection duct work and other light, but bulky items easier. Two people could lift these up to the trailer and down, but move a ton of stuff. Since you are basically going to have to move every thing at least 4 times, you'll want to reduce the amount of handling. One other thing--while in storage, don't put cardboard boxes on top of cast iron surfaces as they may hold moisture against the cast iron.

JayStPeter
02-19-2006, 11:39 PM
I stored my shop for about 7 months on my move 2 yrs. ago. I blew out all the sawdust so the inner guts wouldn't get too funky. I cleaned up the tops with WD40, then slathered on the paste wax. I didn't buff it off. When I got the machines back, WD40 took all the wax back off to start over. I had a couple minor rust spots, but nothing to worry about.

Jay

Kyle Kraft
02-20-2006, 9:37 AM
Pick up some LPS-3 in the aerosol can. It goes on and comes off easier than "gun" grease and will protect the machined surfaces nicely. I used to use the stuff on machinery that was being shipped to the far East and it worked well.

tod evans
02-20-2006, 9:53 AM
wax, wax, wax, wax! .02 tod

Dennis Peacock
02-20-2006, 10:33 AM
wax, wax, wax, wax! .02 tod

LOL!!!!!!

True, True, True......:D