PDA

View Full Version : link belts for BS

Jack Wood
02-19-2006, 7:38 AM
Will replacing the standard belt on my Jet 18" BS with a link belt make that much of a difference? I know that for applications where the weight of the motor is held by the belt that it does make a diff, but what about fixed motors?

Mike Cutler
02-19-2006, 8:23 AM
If you're having vibration problems, and have ruled everthing else out. I can't see them not helping out.
More than a few folks have put them on jointers and cabinet saws and reported a difference. Decrease in vibration.

Dave Falkenstein
02-19-2006, 8:55 AM
I replaced the standard belt with a link belt on my Jet 14" band saw, which also has a fixed motor. I think the link belt did a lot to quiet the saw.

Ralph Steffey
02-19-2006, 10:05 AM
I put a link belt on my old delta 14 incher and it is the smoothest machine in my shop I think I will try one on my 20 inch Delta and see if it help as much.

Dan Lyman
02-19-2006, 1:53 PM
I put link belts on my 8" jointer to help fix some serious vibration. It has a fixed motor and the belts made a world of difference. I'd give it a shot.

Jeffrey Makiel
02-19-2006, 5:13 PM
I installed a link belt on my old 18" bandsaw. I did nothing to reduce vibration. It was also very expensive because I had to buy two link belts to make one large belt, and the belt was a size 'B' (5/8").

If I did it again, I would have just bought a cog belt from Grainger or McMaster-Carr.

Bandsaws are top heavy. If your base is not firmly planted on the ground, or you have a weak mobile base, this may be your primary cause of vibration.

Just a thought...

-Jeff

Bill Fields
02-19-2006, 10:38 PM
Link belts are on almost all my machines now. BOught the stuff from HF--and I think it's the same offered by Rockler and others at--you guessed it--a fraction of the price.

Link belts make a huge difference.

BILL

John Lannon
02-20-2006, 5:22 AM
I kinda wish wood working machinery companies would switch over to the grooved serpentine belts. They are lighter and a little more forgiving with tension settings.

I have one on my Sears 5 hp 60 gallon compressor thats about 17 years old and it looks like new. I was going to change the belt the other day when I had to realign the compressor, but it had zero cracks and still felt as pliable as the new one that I bought.

Have you guys had the same results?

Norman Hitt
02-20-2006, 5:58 AM
I kinda wish wood working machinery companies would switch over to the grooved serpentine belts. They are lighter and a little more forgiving with tension settings.

I have one on my Sears 5 hp 60 gallon compressor thats about 17 years old and it looks like new. I was going to change the belt the other day when I had to realign the compressor, but it had zero cracks and still felt as pliable as the new one that I bought.

Have you guys had the same results?

I agree with you John. I think they are both quieter and smoother that either the regular "V" belts OR the Link Belts. They could even put an Idler pully with a spring tension on them, like the cars have, and you would always have the right tension on them too, which I think adds to the longevity of the belts and bearings as well.

tod evans
02-20-2006, 7:31 AM
jack, i think link belts are an improvement over low end "v" belts and are really handy if belt replacement requires tearing down your machine to change the belt. but for most applications a good standard "cogged" v-belt will outlast and provide better power transmission than a link-belt...02 tod