PDA

View Full Version : First Box

Bernie Weishapl
02-18-2006, 10:08 PM
Well here it is. My first box. It is made from some spalted poplar from John Hart. I need to do some work on my finales on top but didn't think it was to bad using a skew. It has Mylands friction polish and a couple of coats of lacquer on it. It is 4" tall and 2 1/2" across.

Corey Hallagan
02-18-2006, 10:10 PM
Bernie, you did wonderful on this. This is my favorite project you have done with the most recent bowl right behind. Very very nice! Love the wood and shape. Great looking wood!

Corey

Ken Fitzgerald
02-18-2006, 10:11 PM
Great first box Bernie! I love that spalted poplar....beautiful stuff!

John Hart
02-18-2006, 10:11 PM
Wow Bernie...That looks pretty nice! Is that the same stuff that was giving you fits?

George Conklin
02-18-2006, 10:13 PM
That's great, Bernie. I don't have the guts to try doing boxes yet. That poplar sure is interesting. I've never seen spalted poplar before.

So was it hard to do? Did you say many bad words?

George

Mike Ramsey
02-18-2006, 10:15 PM
Great first box Bernie! Especially by using the skew!...

Jim Dunn
02-18-2006, 10:21 PM
Maybe we should grade projects by a degree of difficulty. Bernie gets an A+ because he used a skew. A file would have gotten him a C-:)
You did good Bernie, pretty wood too.

Jim

Bernie Weishapl
02-18-2006, 10:22 PM
Yea John it is. It is the only one of the 3 poplar blanks that I could turn. It turned so nice. My wife just loves it. I may try the spalted maple tomorrow.

George actually boxes to me after doing this first one is a lot more fun than turning bowls. I also think it is easier. You just need to have a plan in mind. I would recommend getting a book on making boxes.

Jim, really the skew made for very little sanding. The more I use it the easier it is to work with. I am even thinking of getting one of Alan Lacer's skews.

Chris Barton
02-18-2006, 10:25 PM
Very good work Bernie! Keep it happening.

Corey Hallagan
02-18-2006, 10:26 PM
Bernie, is just becoming a turning machine! I haven't heard him talk about flat work, his new router etc. for months now...LOL. You doing great Bernie!

Corey

Jim Dunn
02-18-2006, 10:27 PM
They've even got names?? I thought most of were referred to as @#$%*&& cutters. Live and learn

John Hart
02-18-2006, 10:30 PM
...Jim, really the skew made for very little sanding. The more I use it the easier it is to work with. I am even thinking of getting one of Alan Lacer's skews.

All Right Bernie!!! Another skew guy!!! Oh...sorry...got carried away. I was so lonely.:o

Ken Fitzgerald
02-18-2006, 10:35 PM
Bernie.....the HF tools I have need to be sharpened. The smaller spindle gouge was sharper on one side than the other. It worked well turning with the sharp side but the dull side was ridiculous! I was surprised after all the anti-skew comments made here, how well the skew worked for me! Only after it too became dull did I have any problems with it. The trick when smoothing with it was pointed out in the Raffan videos ........make sure you rub the grind on the wood....at least that's what worked for me. Once it got dull however it seemed to catch when it wasn't earlier?:confused:

Corey Hallagan
02-18-2006, 10:39 PM
Out of the box, I hated the skew. In my practice I have concentrated on the skew. Once you figure it out, it is a wondeful tool. I have lots to learn, but I don't hate it any more. I have practiced making beads and coves with nothing but the skew and it is alot of fun. And it leaves a silky smooth finish that requires little sanding.
Corey

Andy Hoyt
02-18-2006, 10:57 PM
Bernie, you are indeed one prodigious dude. Your enthusiasm for trying the whole range of forms is both exemplary and ambitious.

Your first box is far and away better than my twelfth.

Your challenge to is make each successive box still better.

Keep it up.

Bernie Weishapl
02-18-2006, 10:58 PM
Ken I am getting to where I love the skew. I made the finale on top of this box with the skew like Raffan does. I just need more practice making them. I have watched the Raffan video at least 4 times now and see something new every time I do. Another video that I was put onto by Bob Noles is the one by Alan Lacer called The Skew Chisel. Excellent DVD. If you like the skew and want to learn more this is one DVD I would definately recommend.

Thanks to all for your kind comments. I had a ball doing this box.

Dick Parr
02-18-2006, 11:11 PM
Great job Bernie, you are having fun.:D

Michael Stafford
02-19-2006, 7:52 AM
Way to go Bernie. I am so glad to see someone else post a turned box. I told everyone that they were fun. I am glad you are finding it that way also. Nice job!;)

Keith Burns
02-19-2006, 9:01 AM
Great box Bernie, nice wood, nice form, nice finish:) :)

Mike Forsman
02-19-2006, 9:42 AM
Bernie, very nice box. I really like the look. I'm going to have to try turning a box some day.

Chris DiCiaccio
02-19-2006, 2:58 PM
That is a very good looking box. I think you did great on it.

Ernie Nyvall
02-19-2006, 3:19 PM
Bernie, wow, that's a nice box... and with a skew...cool.

Ernie

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-20-2006, 11:59 PM
Very NICE, Bernie!

Bruce

Bob Noles
02-21-2006, 6:23 AM
Great work Bernie. Looks like you have mastered the dreaded skew :)