PDA

View Full Version : Race Fans......

Corey Hallagan
02-18-2006, 9:32 PM
Well the big race is tomorrow! How many of you are race fans out there? I have been a fan since i was a kid watching Richard Petty in the 43 Dodge and when you got to see just a couple races a year. Boy has the sport changed.

I think tomorrows race has become a survival of the fittest. Who can stay out of the "big wrecks" and I hate them to see all that money get tore up!
But I was a Rusty Wallace fan since his ASA and ARCA days, and now that he has gone from the scene I have selected Jamie McMurray as my guy to follow. So that is who I am pulling for! How about you guys?

Corey

Larry Klaaren
02-18-2006, 9:44 PM
Big race??? I thought the Boston Marathon isn't until April or so.

Larry Klaaren
02-18-2006, 9:47 PM
I was just kiddin ya, Tony Stewart is on all the channels 24/7 here in Indy. Think I'm pulling for that rookie, John Andretti.

Chris Curry
02-18-2006, 11:34 PM
Corey:
That is quite a change for you this year - going from Wallace to McMurray, Penske to Roush, and Dodge to Ford. There have been sooo many changes in NASCAR this year, you are not alone.
There's five in our family and you'll get five different answers from us (for favorite driver) but Gordon does seem strong. Although, he started strong last year - and look. Tony seems to have settled down and can close the deal. It's hard to say. Are you still sentimental toward Petty Enterprises? It will be interesting to see if their acquisitions make a dramatic difference.
Happy Race Day! Chris

Karl Laustrup
02-18-2006, 11:46 PM
I be watching. I was [and still am] a fan of Big E. That transferred to Little E. I'll be hoping Jr. gets a good start to the year.

Karl

Bruce Page
02-19-2006, 12:23 AM
I be watching. I was [and still am] a fan of Big E. That transferred to Little E. I'll be hoping Jr. gets a good start to the year.

Karl

Ditto what Karl said, I've been a big fan since '86/'87.
I'll be pulling for the #8, the wife likes Jamie McMurray. I don't care who wins as long as it isn't KB! I even switched my brand of beer when Rusty retired! :eek:

Corey Hallagan
02-19-2006, 12:53 AM
I am with yah on KB, one reason I was happy to see McMurray replace him and another reason I won't be with the #2 car.
Chris, I think they have made some big strides but to make all the changes work and go thru all the tracks and set ups required it will take awhile and probably more change even. Childress is going thru the same thing I think.
Karl, the thing that is scarey is to listen and see Kerry E talk. He looks and sounds just like his dad. If you put him in sunglasses, black hat and a goodwrench suit you wouldn't know the difference. He has the raw energy his dad had at his age I think. Don't know if he will ever step out of the junior shadow though.
Enjoy the race guys!
Corey

Randy Meijer
02-19-2006, 12:59 AM
I've been a race fan since I wached AJ tune up for the Indy 500 at the old Trenton Fairgrounds.

If you haven't seen an F1 car up close and personal you don't know what a real race car is all about; but Winston Cup....oops.....telle cup is fun too. I like DJ; but I doubt he will ever be the racer his dad was.

As for favorites.......I hope Mark Martin does well. Not only is he a racer; but he is also a gentleman!! Not too many of those around......too bad.:(

Tom Drake
02-19-2006, 7:58 AM

Karl

Me too! I think I've been a fan of Nascar since it's beginning or as long as I can remember.

Karl Laustrup
02-19-2006, 8:01 AM
I've been a race fan since I wached AJ tune up for the Indy 500 at the old Trenton Fairgrounds.

If you haven't seen an F1 car up close and personal you don't know what a real race car is all about; but Winston Cup....oops.....telle cup is fun too. I like DJ; but I doubt he will ever be the racer his dad was.

As for favorites.......I hope Mark Martin does well. Not only is he a racer; but he is also a gentleman!! Not too many of those around......too bad.:(

Gotta agree with you on Mark Martin and I would add Dale Jarrett and Bobby Labonte. They've been around to know that what the kid's are enjoying today took a lot of hard work on the part of the older generation of racers.

I haven't seen one of the new breed of F1 cars, but I've been up close on the 70's and 80's versions. That's before they had electronic shifting, and all the aero packages. It took a real driver to pilot one of those around a circuit. Not saying the new breed aren't as good, just they don't have as much to think about as their predecessors. They didn't have a little light to tell them when to shift and they could, and did, on occasion miss a shift.

Karl

Joe Mioux
02-19-2006, 8:37 AM
Ditto what Karl said, I've been a big fan since '86/'87.
I'll be pulling for the #8, the wife likes Jamie McMurray. I don't care who wins as long as it isn't KB! I even switched my brand of beer when Rusty retired! :eek:

Now your talkin' From Miller Lite to the King! My AB stock needs all the help it can get. lol

Robert Mickley
02-19-2006, 10:01 AM
Well I came to this game late, first race I ever saw was the Cracker barrel 500 in March 2000 where I watched Dale and Bobby battle for the lead on the last lap, Sitting on the start finish line 12 rows up. That was it I was hooked!!!

I've got my base's covered. As long as Someone from DEI, RCR, or Dale Jarret wins I'm a happy camper. I like most of the older divers. While I may not root for them I love it when they get one of the young guns on the last lap for a win. :D

Oh though it doesn't hurt my feelings to se Carl Edwards win either. That young man never gets excited about anything, well except a win.

Fred Voorhees
02-19-2006, 10:13 AM
Have been a racing fan since the early sixties when my grandfather began taking me to the local dirt tracks. Pop-Pop has long ago left us, but I still go the races. In fact, I for a long time, lived a great second life as a worker in the sport, covering events and writing columns for a couple different racing rags and some metro papers. Also did some announcing, publishing, PR work and television and radio work. Because of that, I belonged to a Press association and got to rub elbow with plenty of NASCAR stars. Ate breakfast with Rusty Wallace and Jimmy Spencer. Ate lunch with Dr. Mattioli and his wife from Pocono Speedway. Spent some time talking shop with Humpy Wheeler. Have been a Rusty Wallace fan since his early days in NASCAR. Now, I guess I'm going with Elliott Sadler.

Corey Hallagan
02-19-2006, 11:30 AM
Randy, I agree on Mark Martin. There are a few guys out there though that are young and fall into that category. I like Carl Edwards, Jimmy Johnson, Jamie McMurray to name a few that I think are pretty smart guys that don't let their mouths create problems for themself and are respectfull.
Enjoy the race!
Corey

Gregg Mason
02-19-2006, 11:35 AM
I'll be watching. I'm glad Mark decided to stay.

Joe Mioux
02-19-2006, 7:47 PM
Congrats to Jimmie Johnson and Hendrick Motorsports. J Gordon did a spectacular job running with a gear missing..

Also, to Kenny Schrader with a top 10 finish. He always seems to be involved in crashes or breakdowns.

Corey Hallagan
02-19-2006, 9:29 PM
I agree Jimmy. Seems to be some guys talking out of both sides of their mouth ..LOL. Such is the game. I was impressed with my new guy Jamie McMurray.. that was until he got involved in his last deal. He had a fast car but that wasn't enough. I think Jimmy Johnson is one of the smartest guys on the track. He will get down and he just keeps his cool and races his race. I think he will be right up there in the end again this year.
Corey