PDA

View Full Version : When to buy?

Brian Dormer
02-18-2006, 8:25 PM
There is a "bag sale" (not exactly certain how much of a discout that is) at the *NEW* Woodcraft in Leesburg, VA on Monday. In about a month, there is a Woodworking show in Chatilly, VA (Dulles Expo Center). Both are about an hour away.

I want to buy a GRR-Ripper (well, actually 2 of 'em plus the DVD) and replace some aging/broken safety equipment (face shield, resperator). Of course, if you twist my arm, I could probably come up with another 2 or 3 pages of "Must Have" items. And there's always the danger of an "impulse buy". :eek:

The big question is - Go splurge at the bag sale on Monday or cool my jets for a month and melt the numbers off my debit card at the show?

Where are the best deals likely to be had? :confused:

Experts (and non-experts), please chime in.

bd

Jim Becker
02-18-2006, 9:41 PM
Woodcraft sales can be fun as they are often quite comprehensive with only a few exclusions. Definitely worth going, IMHO. Shows generally don't generate a lot of bargains, especially for folks who know what things cost in the real world...outside of good deals on Mini Max, Laguna, etc. on "big iron".

john whittaker
02-18-2006, 9:42 PM
For what it's worth...the woodworking show is in my hometown this weekend...and I'm not going. I looked over the program and didn't see hardly anything "new". FYI - the Gripper "deal" they have at the show was exactly the same deal the local Woodcraft has. And Woodcraft doesn't charge me 8 bucks to enter and 6 bucks to park.... I normally like to go to the show every year but will skip it this time around.

Eric Shields
02-18-2006, 10:47 PM
Brian,

I was at the opening of the Woodcraft at Leesburg a few weeks ago. Very nice store and VERY nice staff. Though I am sure that the Gripper will fit in the bag provided, the "staff" there (when asked) commented that whatever fits, will fit in the bag. Plus, I got the initial mailer about the opening and followon promotions. IF you look at the fine print of the "bag sale" it says 50% off, unlike the claimed (in big letters) 15% off. So, I'm sure you could debate this inconsitancy with the staff. You know the customer is always right. Unfortunately my shop is in the planning/construction stage and I am in the process of using shop funds to purchase construction materials instead of new tools. BTW - get yourself on the mailing list, whenever you can, it will get you 10% off coupon during your birthday month.

Eric

Scott Fernald
02-19-2006, 1:43 PM
Eric - actually there is no inconsistency - the flier states that "50% of the item must fit in bag" in the fine print. The price reduction is the 15% as stated...I'm looking at the flier as I type this and plan on going tomorrow. It's usually pretty crowded at these things and small high-dollar stuff (like LN planes) go quick. I've been shopping the Springfield store for years and it's the same folks running the new store.

Now if they would just let me "bag sale" a General 650.... :D

Aaron Frank
02-19-2006, 4:03 PM
I've been shopping the Springfield store for years and it's the same folks running the new store

Scott,
Just one bit of clarification. The Springfield store was owned by Woodcraft corp up until last spring when an investor bought it. They then oversaw the debacle that was the store 'renovation' and the reduction in the size of the "Woodworkers Club." :mad: They are now opening the Leesburg store, which is the cause for the celebration.

I don't know your opinion on the renovation, but given that I use the WC as my primary 'shop' for jointing, planing, and breaking down materials I find the whole thing to be a disasater. It's been 6 months since the renovation was 'finished' and the shop still isn't up and running. :mad:

Happy shopping

Brian Dormer
02-19-2006, 5:23 PM
Well it sounds like its pretty certain that Woodcraft on Monday is a better bet than waiting a month for the show.

And the show might not be worth it - I've see that before in Computer Shows (I develop software so that I have money to buy wood and tools...) The first Computer shows were great - lots of bargains (some junk) - but you could do very well. Over the years, they have become less and less of a "deal". Now they are pretty worthless and I rarely go.

I offered to take a friend to the Show in March - so I might end up going anyway (if he decides to go) - but I think I'm going to see what financial damage I can do Monday at Woodcraft.

Thanks for all the input. It was very helpful.

bd

Scott Fernald
02-19-2006, 6:48 PM
Scott,
Just one bit of clarification. The Springfield store was owned by Woodcraft corp up until last spring when an investor bought it. They then oversaw the debacle that was the store 'renovation' and the reduction in the size of the "Woodworkers Club." :mad: They are now opening the Leesburg store, which is the cause for the celebration.

I don't know your opinion on the renovation, but given that I use the WC as my primary 'shop' for jointing, planing, and breaking down materials I find the whole thing to be a disasater. It's been 6 months since the renovation was 'finished' and the shop still isn't up and running. :mad:

Happy shopping

Didn't realize the change in management - I did wonder about the renovation though. As I am in Fairfax I am about mid-way between the 2 locations. I just found out a couple of weeks ago that Herb (who ran the Springfield store for years) is now at the Leesburg store full time. As he always treated me right as customer, I will shift my business to the new location.

Too bad about the shop changes - hope you get something worked out so you can get back to making sawdust...

As a sidebar - has anyone taken a Woodcraft class? Was thinking about trying the bowl turning class. Never used a lathe before, and that "spinny" forum is kind of scary... ;)

Aaron Frank
02-19-2006, 8:09 PM
Didn't realize the change in management - I did wonder about the renovation though. As I am in Fairfax I am about mid-way between the 2 locations. I just found out a couple of weeks ago that Herb (who ran the Springfield store for years) is now at the Leesburg store full time. As he always treated me right as customer, I will shift my business to the new location.

Too bad about the shop changes - hope you get something worked out so you can get back to making sawdust...

As a sidebar - has anyone taken a Woodcraft class? Was thinking about trying the bowl turning class. Never used a lathe before, and that "spinny" forum is kind of scary... ;)

Herb is a great guy. He truly knows his stuff and is dedicated to customer service.

I've taken two classes at the Springfield store. One was the woodworking basics class, which was a prerequisite to being a Club member. The second was Router Techniques with Frank Cross. Frank is really gifted. He has worked in large cabinet shops as well as in custom shops. Some of his work is in the Smithsonian. I've never taken a lathe class, but am sure that it would be very thorough.

Happy turning.

Mark Rios
02-19-2006, 11:31 PM
Couldn't a person go in to the Rockler store and make a purchase of a bag of sale items, go have lunch, get the car/truck/van washed, get the LOML a gift, and then go back 2 or 4 hours later and get another bag full of sale goodies?:D