PDA

View Full Version : What's this lathe center(?) for?

Todd Burch
07-29-2003, 11:39 PM
A few years ago, I bought an entire estate of tools. With it came a lathe & several misc. lathe accessories. This obviously is some type of chuck, but I've never seen one like it before. It measures 1¾" between the projecting sides and each side has a countersunk hole in it. The ink pen is shown for scale. Perhaps for quick method to mount square stock without having to home-make a jig? Thanks, Todd.

Bob Oswin
07-30-2003, 5:32 PM
A few years ago, I bought an entire estate of tools. With it came a lathe & several misc. lathe accessories. This obviously is some type of chuck, but I've never seen one like it before. It measures 13/4" between the projecting sides and each side has a countersunk hole in it. The ink pen is shown for scale. Perhaps for quick method to mount square stock without having to home-make a jig? Thanks, Todd.
Looks like a production jig where they would cut the tenons prior to turning the pieces. I'm thinking the tenon end was squared and the turned end was on the spindle end.
Also, please note - I'm guessing!

Bob :p

Steve Clardy
07-30-2003, 5:49 PM
I saved your picture and then ran it through my thumbnail program and brightened it up to see it.
It is for square stock, and the counter bored holes are to put a screw into to hold it in place. You could also make hammer handles with it, using stock not quite square, say 1x2. Heres a pic of my homemade one, 1" square.
Steve

Oops, forgot the pics.