PDA

View Full Version : The Big Box - Long with Pix

Karl Laustrup
02-18-2006, 7:13 PM
Let me begin by referring those interested to the following thread.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=27227

After much research spurred by the knowledgeable people here, this box arrived and as can be seen it had my name on it.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=30105&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1137802975 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=30105&d=1137802975) 32227

I can tell you it is big and heavy. I have been waiting first for the power to be restored to the garage/shop [the big box came when I had no power] and then for the electrician to wire up a 220v 20 amp circuit to power the beast. In fact I had to wait almost 8 days before I had power to the garage and could do any more than look at the beast sitting on the pallet.

That happened today and the beast sprang to life. I only tried out 1 of it's 3 motors. I still have a lot of learning to do regarding the various tasks it can accomplish. I'm kinda torn between learning about the beast and watching progress on the house.

Well, it's time to eat, so I'll reveal more a little later.

Karl

Norman Hitt
02-18-2006, 7:30 PM
Hey Karl, I think you've at least let the cat's tail out of the bag.;) If it's got three motors, I'll just bet it's a Big Combo "Mochine". Now the BIG QUESTION..........??????? MiniMax??...Felder??...Hammer??...Rojek??...Other? ????

SO..........Come on now......................don't keep us in SUSPENSE!!:confused:

I'll bet you hid the price of it in the House Cabinets you're Gonna Build, Didn't you???:D :D Whatever, it's gonna be a great gloat to go with that nice new house you've got going.

Jim Becker
02-18-2006, 8:02 PM
You are mean and rotten, Karl...there are no hints in that small photo to indicate the color/flavor of what is obviously a combo machine...Sure, keep us in suspense a little more with that little construction diversion helping out. Sure. I though we were your friends... :D

Corey Hallagan
02-18-2006, 8:50 PM
Wow, how exiting Karl, congrats. Can't wait to see pics of the machine!

Corey

David Fried
02-18-2006, 8:56 PM
What!?!!? It really isn't a jacuzzi??? Now I've got to see in the box.

Dave Fried

Reg Mitchell
02-18-2006, 9:01 PM
...hey wait...you can starve a little....open it up.....open it up ...I wanna see inside....lemme see lemee see.... remember I know where you live :D

Russ Massery
02-18-2006, 9:54 PM
Well Karl the fact that you have a Table saw, Jointer,and Planer for sale in the classifieds. It must be a combo machine.;)

Jim O'Dell
02-18-2006, 10:00 PM
Hey Karl....it's been over 2 hours!!!!! Where did you go for supper....France????:D :D Jim.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-18-2006, 10:03 PM
Karl...........How can you do that to your cheering section?:confused: :( :mad: :D

John Miliunas
02-18-2006, 10:13 PM
Naa-na-na-na-naaaaa-naa! I know what it is!!!! :p :D (But I ain't tellin', either!!!:D :D :D :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
02-18-2006, 10:15 PM
Well..........PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT to you John M!:D

Frank Chaffee
02-18-2006, 10:18 PM
Naa-na-na-na-naaaaa-naa! I know what it is!!!! :p :D (But I ain't tellin', either!!!:D :D :D :cool:
Oh now I get it!!!
Three motors! John, I thot you said it came with three toppings.
Cool!
Frank

Frank Pellow
02-18-2006, 10:22 PM
Karl, this does appear to be your year -great progress on your house as well as a (substitute company name here) combo machine. Well done!

Chris Fite
02-18-2006, 10:42 PM
From what I can see in the opening, it appears to be a Robland.

Jerry Olexa
02-18-2006, 11:13 PM
Karl, I thought we were friends. Pls end the suspense (drum roll)...:D :)

Frank Chaffee
02-18-2006, 11:13 PM
Well at least he is managing attachments.

Karl Laustrup
02-18-2006, 11:27 PM
Had a bowl of my homemade chicken noodle soup. Boy did that hit the spot after a cold day. Then watched some curling on the Olympics. Then fell asleep for a little nap.

I studied each offering put forth here and there are some excellent choices out there. It came down to size and price. I got an excellent price that was just a wee bit above the price I had been looking at for a separate jointer and planer, not to mention jointer/planer combos.

Now I also have a HD 10" sliding table saw with riving knife. 12" jointer, 12" planer, shaper and mortiser in a foot print that I could barely get my old jointer and planer into.

It has been an adventure putting this thing together and I have to thank Chris Barton for sending detailed pix and a couple of helpful hints. Even more of an adventure trying to do it in the dark before I had electricity.

As I mentioned earlier, I still have to get the shaper and mortiser mounted properly [they're kind of sitting there for now] and fine tune the jointer bed and make sure the saw blade and fence are copesetic [sp?] before I can actually run some wood through it.

Visual impressions and hearing that saw motor for the first time, this is going to be a great machine. I'll post a first use thread after I get it all tuned in and give it shot.

Thanks for the help and hope you all have a good weekend. I'm watching the Daytona 500 tomorrow.

Karl

David Fried
02-18-2006, 11:35 PM
That's a beauty Karl!!
You'll have to post a review once you fire it up.
Congrats!!!

Dave Fried

John Miliunas
02-18-2006, 11:35 PM
Ta-daaaaaaa! And there it is, in all its glory!!!:D Good for your, Karl! We'll be eagerly awaiting those first reports! Have phun!:) :D :cool:

Bruce Page
02-19-2006, 12:13 AM
Wow! That is one sweet machine Karl!
I'm green with envy! I'm looking forward to your review.

Paul B. Cresti
02-19-2006, 12:13 AM
Karl,
Congrats! and best of luck with it! You to will shortly learn the pleasures of using a slider.

Dan Larson
02-19-2006, 12:49 AM
Totally awesome Karl!!!

Dan

Andy Hoyt
02-19-2006, 1:22 AM
All that fine white iron, three motors, two turboincabulators, and a riving knife - and he still can't spin wood. Sheesh!:D

Karl Laustrup
02-19-2006, 7:34 AM
All that fine white iron, three motors, two turboincabulators, and a riving knife - and he still can't spin wood. Sheesh!:D

I'm working on a place to attach a "chunk o wood" to the "beastie" and make it spin.

You think 3300-3500 RPM is too fast to rough out a blank? :eek: :eek: :D :D

Karl

Steve Ash
02-19-2006, 7:38 AM
Hey Karl,
Glad to see it finally made it! Now what is the first project going to be?

Karl Laustrup
02-19-2006, 7:49 AM
Hey Karl,
Glad to see it finally made it! Now what is the first project going to be?

Jointed, planed, cut, shaped and mortised little pieces of wood, what else silly? ;) :D And lots of sawdust for the cyclone to suck up. I'm trying for the ultimate toothpick done with out the aid of one of them spinny thingys. :D

Karl

Steve Ash
02-19-2006, 8:05 AM
I'm trying for the ultimate toothpick done with out the aid of one of them spinny thingys. :D

Karl

Heck you could have done that with a jacknife and saved yourself some $$$$ :D

Tom Drake
02-19-2006, 8:13 AM
Great looking maching Karl. Be sure to give us a review once you've had a chance to use it some.
BTW, shouldn't this be a gloat?

Karl Laustrup
02-19-2006, 8:57 AM
Heck you could have done that with a jacknife and saved yourself some $$$$ :D

Yeah, but I have a hard time making that deeeeep throaty sound, like the motors on the beastie, for any length of time. :D

Karl

Karl Laustrup
02-19-2006, 8:59 AM
Great looking maching Karl. Be sure to give us a review once you've had a chance to use it some.
BTW, shouldn't this be a gloat?

I have every intention of giving a review after a few hours of use. Good, bad and/or ugly.

Yeah, I guess it is. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Karl

Jerry Olexa
02-19-2006, 10:31 AM
Karl: WOW!! That is a bigun'. It'll fit in real nice in front of that picture window you showed us yesterday.:) You are now "beyond Norm". We are not worthy..:) :D

Dan Racette
02-19-2006, 10:32 AM
Great purchase! Gosh, I hope it works out great!

Jim Becker
02-19-2006, 10:53 AM
Ah...the plot thickens! Nice looking machine...

Reg Mitchell
02-19-2006, 4:50 PM
WOW Karl,
Where do you start it and dose it make coffee too....:D

Tom Horton
02-20-2006, 8:07 AM
Nice toy Karl. I'm interested in what flavor bean you use to grind for you coffee with that thing?:p

Pete Rowley
02-20-2006, 1:03 PM
Congrats Karl, looks like that'll do the trick for you.

Question: how small can that get for transport? For example, I have a 5 foot wide openning, would I able able to get that through?

Tyler Howell
02-20-2006, 2:07 PM
So Now we know it was Karl that won the lottery.
Way to go.