PDA

View Full Version : Turning Green Wood

Chip Sutherland
02-18-2006, 4:42 PM
I have turned a big piece of sweet gum (I think) that I collected in the woods of east Texas a couple of weeks ago. The outside is covered in anchorseal because I couldn't finish it last night. I've justed turned the piece into (my first) hollow form leaving the sides about 5/8 thick and the bottom and rim about 3/4 thick. Should I bath the inside in anchor seal, too?

Basically, I am asking what are my dyring options now? I'm going out of town next week for 4 days next week, too.

Gary Max
02-18-2006, 6:01 PM
Chip there are a couple of things you can do.
First would be to run it through a Alkey bath----would be the best.
If you have that kinda of bath set up. If not plan B
Anchorseal the whole thing---then bury it in saw dust -- you would be trying to keep the air off it as much as possible.
I am sure there are other ways these are just what that I would try.
Wish you luck.

John Hart
02-18-2006, 6:26 PM
I'm with Gary. In fact, you can leave it in the alcohol for the entire time you're away. Then pull it out when you get back, let it dry, and it'll be ready for finish-turning. Good luck!

Bernie Weishapl
02-18-2006, 10:13 PM
Chip I use the denatured alcohol bath and it has worked great. I soak them depending how thick they are for 12 to 24 hours. Wrap with a brown paper grocery sack. Cut the paper open at the opening of your HF or bowl. Turn upside down and let it dry for 2 or more weeks.

Chip Sutherland
02-18-2006, 11:11 PM
Turned out the gallon of Denatured Alcohol was a gallon of Lacquer Thinner. So, I anchorsealed the whole thing. Better planning next time.

Does any body know if the alcohol will dissolve the anchorseal?