PDA

View Full Version : My son's kitchen cabinets

Steve Ash
02-18-2006, 3:04 PM
This is the third "installment" of my current project, my son's kitchen cabinets. (See building boxes and building face frames...this forum)

I have to finish the 45 degree upper wall cabinet (this week) otherwise this is how his new kitchen is going to look.

The face frames are Ash and the stain is min wax golden oak. He wants to keep his kitchen light. He wants a flat panel door front. I have given the boxes 3 coats of Zar polyurethane using my Matco spray gun.Tod Evans gave me advice as to what tip to use.

He has done all of the shingling, drywall finishing, and painting, and helped me in the framing, siding, and concrete... since he is an electrician he also did all of that....hopefully in time he will learn how to make cabinets and furniture since he is undertaking making his own 4 post bed.

Next step is shooting the last couple of coats on the boxes and starting hardware and doors....Thanks for looking.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/GardenBay/100_1513.jpg

Steve Ash
02-18-2006, 3:06 PM
...and my ever vigilant shop dog Honey-Behr keeping me company

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/GardenBay/100_1514.jpg

valerie williams
02-18-2006, 3:12 PM
ooh, I bet those will be nice! I love the dog to, is it a lab?

Steve Ash
02-18-2006, 3:28 PM
I love the dog to, is it a lab?

Yes it is Valerie, she is my AKC yellow lab. I've had purebred labs for 22 years now and wouldn't be without one. In fact she is laying at my feet as I type this. She is well worth what I paid for her as a pup, and comes from a long list of Sheriff search and rescue dog bloodlines. I bought her to duck hunt with but with hardly any time for that she has been given the job of shop security.:D

Greg Koch
02-18-2006, 4:00 PM
Very nice, Steve. He's going to have a beautiful kitchen when finished. Any other things you are building for his house?

Greg

Corey Hallagan
02-18-2006, 4:01 PM
Cabs are looking great Steve! I am still trying to decide if I want to build mine or buy them. Huge factor is space, no where to store them as I build them. Nice job!

Corey

Jim Hager
02-18-2006, 4:13 PM
Looks great, dog and cabinets too. I'm nearly in the same spot with the kitchen that I've got going. I'm presently in the house taking a break but I'm going back to the shop this afternoon to finish the construction and start the sanding. Tomorrow is sanding day around here with staining later in the day. Monday morning is shootin time.

Dan Oliphant
02-18-2006, 4:23 PM
Great looking cabs Steve, that finish sure will help keep the kitchen light, well done. looking forward to the next installment.

Chris Barton
02-18-2006, 4:52 PM
Very nice work Steve! I used to have a yellow lab and he was the greatest company. I look forward to seeing the final pics.

Jim Becker
02-18-2006, 6:26 PM
Cabs look great, Steve!

Steve Clardy
02-18-2006, 6:45 PM
Looking good.
I take it they are sitting like they will be installed?
You have a 45 upper corner cabinet, but a 90 lower cabinet?

Karl Laustrup
02-18-2006, 7:19 PM
Looking good there Steve.

So when are mine going to be done? We are on the fast track you know. :confused: ;) :D

Karl

Steve Ash
02-18-2006, 7:38 PM
Looking good.
I take it they are sitting like they will be installed?
You have a 45 upper corner cabinet, but a 90 lower cabinet?

Steve,
I just ran out to the shop and took this picture to answer your question. this is the print I followed, and as you can see there isn't the room to run a 45 for a lower so it is a blind corner instead.

The island at this time is on hold as he is not sure he wants to lose that amount of space in his kitchen. It is a small area so we'll see how it looks when things are in place.

Karl,
Just give me the okay and I'll get started on yours.:D

Greg,
He is making a 4 post bed which may be another story:eek: .

Thanks for the positive comments everyone.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/GardenBay/100_1524.jpg

Glenn Clabo
02-18-2006, 8:46 PM
Nice work....nice lab. I have one black, Shelby, and one yellow, Chessie, who looks just like me.:D

Curt Harms
02-19-2006, 7:26 AM
Yes it is Valerie, she is my AKC yellow lab. I've had purebred labs for 22 years now and wouldn't be without one. In fact she is laying at my feet as I type this. She is well worth what I paid for her as a pup, and comes from a long list of Sheriff search and rescue dog bloodlines. I bought her to duck hunt with but with hardly any time for that she has been given the job of shop security.:D

Looks like any nefarious types would be licked to death!:D

Tom Drake
02-19-2006, 8:03 AM
Great looking cabinets Steve. Very nice work!

frank shic
02-19-2006, 9:15 AM
Cabs are looking great Steve! I am still trying to decide if I want to build mine or buy them. Huge factor is space, no where to store them as I build them. Nice job!

Corey

corey, you can assemble the cases last JUST BEFORE you're about to install them if you're running low on space. of course you'll still have to juggle the drawers, doors, drawer fronts and face frames but they'll take up much less space than those space-devouring cubes!

Kelly C. Hanna
02-19-2006, 10:18 AM
Very nice indeed Steve!! I like the look of the light stain.

Steve Ash
11-26-2006, 9:29 PM
It dawned on me this afternoon that I never showed you all pictures of the cabinets in Jr's house installed and done. Here are a couple of pics, I was even fortunate enough to snap one of Jr. and his girlfriend.....she is a very nice young lady....she might just be the one to keep him inline!

Jim Young
11-26-2006, 9:42 PM
Looks pretty good Steve, Steve Jr.. I can tell it's a bachelor's pad though, no flowery things inthe kitchen, or worse, bird houses. :)

Steve Ash
11-26-2006, 9:58 PM
Looks pretty good Steve, Steve Jr.. I can tell it's a bachelor's pad though, no flowery things inthe kitchen, or worse, bird houses. :)

Give it time Jim, I'm sure it is just a matter of time.:)

Steve Clardy
11-26-2006, 9:59 PM
Looks very nice Steve!:D

[ looking for the thumbs up smiley icon ]

Corey Hallagan
11-26-2006, 10:31 PM
I am sure he is a good kid Steve, the kitchen looks great! Can't wait until I get mine finished and I am not even building the cabs! BTW, glad to see he is a Jr. fan :)

Corey

Kelly C. Hanna
11-27-2006, 7:07 AM
Looks good Steve!

John Miliunas
11-27-2006, 8:46 AM
Lookin' good, Steve! :) Yup, Jr has good taste. Oh yeah...The cabs are pretty nice, too! :D :p Well done, my friend. :) :cool:

Lamar Horton
11-27-2006, 8:50 AM
Great job Steve. When she does become the one for him you'll be starting on that island. She'll probably see to that. Keep up the good work.:)

Tyler Howell
11-27-2006, 12:14 PM
Looks Great Steve.
That's my Refrig. Plenty of room for Good Stuff.

Mike Buelow
11-27-2006, 2:14 PM
Looks sharp! What are the carcasses made of? Birch ply? Wondering if you have concerns matching the color of the carcasses and the face frames.

Chip Olson
11-27-2006, 2:56 PM
Wow, nice! Seeing other people finish their cabinet projects helps keep me going on mine (that and my current kitchen's 1 linear foot of counter space).

What did you use for shelving on the blind corner cabinet? I'm planning on getting one of those half-moon swing-out things, but am interested in other solutions.

Steve Ash
11-27-2006, 3:29 PM
Looks sharp! What are the carcasses made of? Birch ply? Wondering if you have concerns matching the color of the carcasses and the face frames.

Mike I bought Ash plywood for the carcasses and there were no problems matching them to the face frames.

Steve Ash
11-27-2006, 3:30 PM
What did you use for shelving on the blind corner cabinet? I'm planning on getting one of those half-moon swing-out things, but am interested in other solutions.

Chip I just used 3/4" Ash plywood and faced them with strips of Ash hardwood.

John Miliunas
11-27-2006, 5:12 PM
Mike I bought Ash plywood for the carcasses and there were no problems matching them to the face frames.

Everything made out of Ash...Wow. Imagine that! :rolleyes: :D Again, nice job, Steve! :) :cool:

Jude Tuliszewski
11-27-2006, 5:33 PM
Nice work on the cabinets, and are the face frames maple? Maple is what I would like to put in my kitchen when I get to it. A bit off subject, but I have a new shop buddy. Twelve weeks old in the pic, 16 weeks now.

Jude Tuliszewski
11-27-2006, 5:36 PM
Sorry bout the wood question:o . I see where you say it is ash. That will last about forever.

Frank Chaffee
11-27-2006, 5:48 PM
The cabs turned out great Steve, and look really nice in your son’s house!

....she is a very nice young lady....she might just be the one to keep him inline!
Steve, your son may choose to be “[kept] inline.” , but if he does it will be his choice. Your wife Judy is a wonderful woman, and look at how you turned out!

Frank