PDA

View Full Version : Bowl gouge

Jim Dunn
02-18-2006, 12:37 PM
How about a short tutorial on the appropriate use of the bowl gouge. It seems no matter which way I hold mine it runnnnns through the wood. I not having a good time with it:(. I'm just not getting it thru trial and error. More error than anything else:o

George Conklin
02-18-2006, 1:02 PM
If you have a Woodcraft in your area, you might be able to talk them into a private lesson on the use of the tool. Mine did it for me.

Good luck.

George

Jim Becker
02-18-2006, 1:14 PM
May I suggest Bill Grumbine's video? Ok...I just did. It covers the bowl gouge pretty nicely. You can also contact your "local" AAW (http://www.woodturner.org) chapter to see about some mentoring or a Woodcraft as George mentions. Nothing beats hands-on instruction in turning or at least a good video when the former isn't possible.

Jim Dunn
02-18-2006, 1:16 PM
Been eyeing Bill's video. Right now my wife says my turning funds are depleted. Seems she said something about a:eek: flat work :eek: project to be done.

Jim Ketron
02-18-2006, 1:33 PM
What type of grind you have on your bowl gouge Jim?

Jim Dunn
02-18-2006, 4:20 PM
Jim it's not that Irish grind type of thingy. It's a standard off the shelf Henry Taylor 3/8 bowl gouge. I've done nothing to it except buff the grind with 800 grit paper. A grinding jig is on my list of things to build or buy.

Tom Sontag
02-18-2006, 7:33 PM
I don't have the answer you want Jim. But I do have two suggestions. I prefer learning by book, although some day I may take my bad habits to a class. See if the library has a book or two on this subject. And, if you want free wood to practice with, stop by our lot Saturday morning and there is plenty of free chunks of no-name species for the taking.

Jim Dunn
02-18-2006, 8:03 PM
I had an invitation to visit today. Passed as you know it was 5 degrees. I'll try the video route in the not to distant future. My wife hates to see me in a bad mood over a tool I can't seem to figure out. She also is looking forward to a bowl or two.

Dave Mcintire
02-18-2006, 8:56 PM
I think the whole bowl gouge thing is snob appeal. The turning club I'm in invites so called pros to demonstrate and I've personally seen 3 of them dump their demo projects on the floor with bowl gouges. They seem to work great when they work but the difficulty level seems to be where your chances of getting thru a project without a fatal mishap are low.

Jim Ketron
02-18-2006, 9:08 PM
It's a Personal preference on what grind to use, and lots of practice using it till you get good consistent cuts. I find most out of the pack grinds to be very aggressive unless its a sweptback grind like the Ellsworth Gouge or similar. I like the swept back grind and use my own style grind, but mine is a little different than most people use.
Like I said get a swept back gouge or grind it yourself and practice, practice, practice.
we all started out the same way if self taught, just hang in there, you will get it!;)

Now without seeing your grind and how you should hold the handle about the only thing I can tell you is to try and keep the bevel rubbing through your cut.
Jim

Jim Dunn
02-18-2006, 9:23 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I'll have to practice when I get, dare I say, a flat work project done:eek::eek:. Maybe I can sneak a little turning in as well;)

Andy Hoyt
02-18-2006, 9:25 PM
Jim - Here's my .02

Bowl grind profiles are like noses. They all smell, but some do so better than others. That said, I encourage you to try an Ellsworth Grind - Irish Grind - Ketron Grind - Grumbine Grind - or even a Hoyt Grind. I've seen 'em all and an unskilled eye can't tell a significant difference between them.

Until I tried it I had a hell of a time when I went bowling.

Here's a couple of pics to help. Fingernail on left and Irish on the right

32234 32235

In an unskilled - yet eager to learn hand - the Irish Grind makes for a most pleasing experience.

Jim Dunn
02-18-2006, 9:30 PM
My hands are unskilled with that particular lathe tool. In fact it wants to get out of my unskilled hands so bad it tries to throw itself over my shoulder, with the bowl.

When I get my grinder set up I'll try some different type of grinds to see what I like and can use effectively. So far my easiest tool to use is the Sorby hollowing tool. As I've said before it is one sweeeeeeeet tool.

Andy Hoyt
02-18-2006, 9:37 PM
Jim - Your lack of a grinder has escaped my notice til just now. Trying to get an edge with sandpaper might work in very skilled hands but I just don't think it pays off in the long haul. Wait for your grinder to arrive, set it up with jigs or systems, and enjoy. Making a successful and satisfying cut with a bowl gouge is only possible with a properly prepared edge.

And when you get that thing set up, remind us that you'd like a primer on the use of the gouge. This thread seems to have veered away from your original request.

Mike Ramsey
02-18-2006, 10:11 PM
I think the whole bowl gouge thing is snob appeal. The turning club I'm in invites so called pros to demonstrate and I've personally seen 3 of them dump their demo projects on the floor with bowl gouges. They seem to work great when they work but the difficulty level seems to be where your chances of getting thru a project without a fatal mishap are low.

Don't mean to be disagreeable Dave, but I think a lot of things besides
the bowl gouge is to blame for most Fatal mishaps. First thing that comes
to mind is a tool that is not as sharp as it should be, then of course
there's correctly presenting the tool to the wood, finding the cut &
riding the bevel thru the cut..that of course for me was the hardest
thing to learn by myself with no tutor to help. I've tried all kinds of
grinds and still haven't found the perfect grind for me, but I rarely
ever have a Fatal mishap because of a bowl gouge, If I have one
I can almost always blame me & not the gouge because I know
it's sharp & the grind is fine! JMHO

Jim Dunn
02-18-2006, 10:19 PM
Andy, I do in fact have a grinder. I just haven't had time to make or purchase a jig for sharpening as yet. I was going to copy a system made by JeanMichael but regretably he has passed on and his domain is closed for now.

I really can't let SWMBO see me working on round projects as I have just started a flat work project for her. She wouldn't understand it was my fix for the day.

On another note. Back in the day I would hand sharpen and configure all my lathe cutters/tools by hand. I knew what I could and could not do along those lines. I would never sharpen a drill for example as we had jigs and machines for those operations. Lathe tools were another subject as most of our work was one of a kind and required injenuity to complete the project.

Jim

Bernie Weishapl
02-18-2006, 11:16 PM
Jim I will second what Andy said. He put me onto the Irish grind and it has worked wonders for me. I took my regular bowl gouge and put the Irish grind on it. I like it a lot better than the regular bowl gouge. It is especially a lot easier doing the inside of a bowl with the Irish grind. So my 3/8" and 1/2" bowl gouges have that grind. As Andy told me, once the tools are sharp you have to find the sweet spot for each tool. Once you do turning will be like night and day.

Andy Hoyt
02-19-2006, 1:00 AM
Hey! Don't listen to me. Listen to Bernie!:D

Folks, I just had a great phone conversation with Jim. He's gonna make a homemade wolverine type setup and do the Irish Grind thing.

Everyone needs to start praying for the trees in St. Louis because he's gonna git 'er done.

Ernie Nyvall
02-19-2006, 2:15 PM
Hey! Don't listen to me. Listen to Bernie!:D

Folks, I just had a great phone conversation with Jim. He's gonna make a homemade wolverine type setup and do the Irish Grind thing.

Everyone needs to start praying for the trees in St. Louis because he's gonna git 'er done.

Alright Jim, sounds like the right thing to do. I had watched the Bill G. video and then bought the Ellsworth gouge. That grind has worked great for me. I haven't dumped any bowls and I'm certainly no pro. I did get a catch when I had the tool rest too low, but since then have sent shavings over my shoulder with no problems. Well... my dog who usually sits somewhere behind me finall got tired of being pelted with the curly things and left the shop.

Ernie

Jim Dunn
02-19-2006, 2:38 PM
Well... my dog who usually sits somewhere behind me finall got tired of being pelted with the curly things and left the shop.

Ernie

Mine got tired of ducking the bowls and other hollow items. He left in quite a hurry, with a mouth full of chips, muttering something about hiding these exotic wood turnings:eek: