PDA

View Full Version : Shop Built Festool Router Base

Dan Larson
02-18-2006, 11:21 AM
Just thought I'd post some pics of a base extension that I recently built for my Festool router. I wanted something to help steady the router when I do edge forming operations. Although the offset base sold by Festool is nice, I wanted something bigger & with a handle that I could hold onto. So here's my solution.
The base is 3/4" baltic birch ply with a 1/4" phenolic base. It attaches to the router using the edge guide bars that come with the router.
Here's a cutting board that I made so that I could test out the new base.
Works great!

Dan

Cecil Arnold
02-18-2006, 11:34 AM
Great idea, thanks for sharing.

Jim Becker
02-18-2006, 12:25 PM
Looks great...and very sturdy! Nice idea...thanks for sharing it.

Bruce Page
02-18-2006, 12:52 PM
Cool!
It looks rock solid!

Frank Pellow
02-18-2006, 1:01 PM
Dan, it looks good! There is a good chance that I will copy your design. I will certainly let you know if I do.

Don Bergren
02-18-2006, 5:51 PM
I like it! It's a good and simple approach to gain a lot of control of a router. It gives one much better handle options than the various standard offset bases we usually see offered. I think I might be copying your idea as well.

Jay Knoll
02-18-2006, 6:34 PM
Dan,

Great idea, nicely done!

Did you put "t" nuts in the underside of the plywood before you attached the plastic bottom?

Do the hold down clamps have a strip that rides in the groove?

Jay

Dan Larson
02-19-2006, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the comments!

Jay, t-nuts would have been my first choice. But I didn't have any on hand with the correct diameter & thread pitch. So I just used regular nuts and epoxied them into the holes. We'll have to see how well the epoxy holds up over time. The clamping pieces slide into a shallow mortice, which does a good job of securing the rods.

John Stevens
02-20-2006, 10:45 PM
Dan, nice job. Just one question: how'd you get the bottom of your auxiliary base to be on the same plane as the router base?

Dan Larson
02-21-2006, 9:26 AM
Dan, nice job. Just one question: how'd you get the bottom of your auxiliary base to be on the same plane as the router base?
This is determined by the depth of the stopped dados that the router bars sit in. I got the depth to be dead on by...

1. Put router with guide bars on a flat bench top.
2. Measure with dial calipers the distance from the bottom of the guide bars to the bench top.
3. Measure the combined thickness of the plywood and phenolic sheet.
4. Subtract the measurement in step 2 from the measurement in step 3. The resulting measurement will be the depth needed for the dado that the router bars sit in.

I made the stopped dados with the router, edge guide, & a straight cutting bit. I set the router plunge depth to the measurement that I got from step #4.