PDA

View Full Version : Incra Fencs Question

Guy Germaine
02-18-2006, 9:07 AM
For those of you that have the Incra router fences, other than the size, what are the differences between the 16" and the 24"? What limitations would you run into on the 16" that the 24" would solve? Thanks

John Lucas
02-18-2006, 10:52 AM
You got it - size. But does that matter? Not so much. 16" gives you quite a bit of cutting area. I have the 24 and probably never use more than 10" of it. With the 16", there might be times when you will have to re=adjust the column, but quite unlikely. The up side other than cost is that you dont have to store or walk around the extra inches of column length.

Dave Falkenstein
02-18-2006, 11:13 AM
To expand a little on the size issue - if you want the capability to make dovetail or box joints for deep drawers or carcasses - like a blanket chest - the larger fence will accomodate the larger projects. It would be possible to cut a through joint that is twice the size of the fence capacity by reversing the material after half the cuts are made.

One more point - the larger fences require a bigger router table top, or an extension on the top to mount the fence. I use the Incra Twin linear, and my router table top is 33" wide (about normal) and 45" deep (much deeper than normal). The bigger top requires a base cabinet that is designed to hold that large a top, like the one that Jointech has available as a plan here:

http://www.jointech.com/routerstation.htm

Guy Germaine
02-18-2006, 12:05 PM
Well, I went ahead and ordered the 24", just in case. :rolleyes:
I'll just have to build a bigger table for it, I guess.

Chris Barton
02-18-2006, 12:07 PM
What the others have said plus, I would rather have too much fence than not enough. I have two Incra Ultra 24"s.