PDA

View Full Version : User name

Charlie Stein
07-29-2003, 7:54 PM
Well I just singed in for the last time. Sorry but I just do not like to be so dam formal, if I can not use a nick name that every one else uses for me then I guess I just don't belong here, so hope your net prospers and dose well but it will have to be with out me.
Just Charlie From
www.c-b-woodpeckershop.com :mad:

Kevin Gerstenecker
07-29-2003, 8:35 PM
Sorry you feel that way Charlie. There are a bunch of great folks here, sure wish you would stick around, but I understand your decision. I wish you all the best with your Woodworking. :)

Ken Garlock
07-29-2003, 9:12 PM
Yes Charlie, I agree that "Charles E Stein" is formal, and probably only used when signing your checks :)

So, let us compromise. Give Keith Otten a message and have him update your profile to just "Charlie Stein." Way back in February the members took a poll and decided that real names and no CB handles were the correct way to go. Suppose you wanted to contact someone on the phone. It would be rather hard to ask the information operator for "woodrat" in Podunk wherever. I also see by your Email address that you are a ham radio operator, well, so am I and the last I knew hams used their real names for "handles" -- Charlie, Ken, Jim, joe, etc.

Would you be happy to be called Charlie Stein? If so, send a message to Keith to update your profile.

I would like you to stay on board, I know there is alot I can learn from your talents in the scroll, Fret, and Intarisa specialties.

BTW, I spent the first 38 yrs of my life in Akron. Had an Aunt who lived in Lakewood.

Hang in there, Charlie ;)

Jim Becker
07-29-2003, 9:16 PM
Charlie, I'm with the others...have Keith "de-formalize" your name and stick around. Your contributions are valuable. Use your nickname in your signature.

Lee Schierer
07-30-2003, 1:33 PM
My real name is Leon, but most people call me Lee (except my Mom and sisters). I checked with SMC early on and they said it was okay to go by Lee.

Hope you'll stay!

Bill Roland
07-30-2003, 4:55 PM
My "real" name is William, but most folks know me as Bill. Therefore use Bill when ever I am not at home where they sometimes call me something different from Bill or William. So please stay and join in with us others not so correctly named members.

Bill (AKA William) Roland

Steve Clardy
07-30-2003, 5:12 PM
Hang around Charles, good group of woodworkers here. Sorry to see you go if you do. Steve

Kevin Hewitt
07-30-2003, 7:21 PM
I recently starting posting and like yourself, am better known in the real world by my nickname. I sign my nickname at the bottom of my post and haven't been asked by the moderator to stop. I have already received two e-mails from forum friends that wouldn't have known it was me if I hadn't signed my nickname. My real name still sits to the left of my post with a picture so I'm not hiding my true identity.

Hang around, the folks are great here.

Gump

Marc Broussard
07-30-2003, 7:46 PM
Hey Charlie, don't go!... Marc in Mass, AKA 'Rocket man', 'Rocket', 'Crash', Word man'. etc...

Ken Salisbury
08-04-2003, 1:36 PM
I recently starting posting and like yourself, am better known in the real world by my nickname. I sign my nickname at the bottom of my post and haven't been asked by the moderator to stop.
Gump

And you won't be asked to stop that practice Kevin - As long as your member name is a real first and last name then you can make your "signature" anything you like (within reason that is :D)

Dave Hammelef
08-04-2003, 1:54 PM
Sorry Charlie

Ok just could not pass that one up. But hey my real name is Gump Woodrat but I put Dave Hammelef becouse thats my alias on the web

Dave Anderson
08-05-2003, 3:39 PM
Just Charlie From
www.c-b-woodpeckershop.com :mad:

Charlie,

SMC is not so Draconian that the rules state you must use your <u>birth</u> name (Charles) only a "real" name vs a "handle."

If you go by Charlie I don't see a problem since Charlie is a <i>real</i> name. Now, if you insisted on using <i>Woodpecker</i> that would be a problem since as other have said it would probably be hard for us to find Woodpecker Stein in the phone book.

I go by Dave, a derivative of David... the only person who calls me DAVID is LOML and then only when I've been naughty. My Aunt calls me Davy and she is the ONLY person in the world I let get away with using <i>that</i> name.

Don't take this place sooooo seriously, Woody!
:cool: