PDA

View Full Version : Pedal power lathe

Keith Melick
02-20-2003, 8:11 PM
I thought this might be of interest to you turners.

I have seen pedal powered lathes before but nothing with bicycle type pedals.

Dave Arbuckle
02-21-2003, 12:45 AM
That's pretty neat! Reminds me of a scrollsaw that was built similarly, had a name derived from velocipede if I recall correctly.

That machine looks like it was built for someone with three legs. :)

Dave

Bill Grumbine
02-21-2003, 7:40 AM
Not three legs Dave, but it might have helped. ;) I've never seen one before, and I, for one, and glad to live in the age of 3 phase power, but looking at it I would say the design enables the turner to move along the lathe to get to the parts down at the tailstock and still crank the thing.

When I think of the effort involved to crank the lathe while still keeping a steady hand for turning beads and coves, I am impressed by the work and the workers who used these things.

Bill

Bill Grumbine
02-21-2003, 7:45 AM
Not three legs Dave, but it might have helped. ;) I've never seen one before, and I, for one, and glad to live in the age of 3 phase power, but looking at it I would say the design enables the turner to move along the lathe to get to the parts down at the tailstock and still crank the thing.

When I think of the effort involved to crank the lathe while still keeping a steady hand for turning beads and coves, I am impressed by the work and the workers who used these things.

Bill

Bill Grumbine
02-21-2003, 7:46 AM

Bill

Dave Crabbs
02-21-2003, 2:32 PM
Hey, nice piece of exercise equipment you have there. Now you can do a cardio work out and make bowls at the same time. That is a neat looking lathe though.
Thanks
Dave