PDA

View Full Version : O Beautiful for Spacious Skys...

Curt Fuller
02-17-2006, 10:33 PM
This doesn't have a dang thing to do with woodturning so I hope I'm not breaking a rule or anything. But, this evening when I got home from work the mountain above my house looked so pretty that I wanted to share it. But then I got thinking about all the places attached to the names of the people that hang out here and how pretty they must be too. I've never traveled much of the country so I'd love to see a picture of the places all you folks call home.

Anyway, this picture is of Ben Lomond Peak, looking straight north from the dead end at my house. It snowed for a couple days and then today it cleared up without a cloud in the sky.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-17-2006, 10:50 PM
This should probably be in the Off Topic forum.........but the turner's will never notice...:eek: :D Beautiful scenery there Curt. Of course, we have some pretty scenery here in north Idaho too!

Bernie Weishapl
02-17-2006, 10:56 PM
Curt that is absolutely beautiful. Thanks for the picture.

Jim Dunn
02-17-2006, 10:57 PM
Looks like a beautiful sight. I've got a hill behind my house too, course it's only 100' tall, till you try to climb it.:)

Bill Stevener
02-17-2006, 11:33 PM
Looks like you have your own little piece of the Swiss Alps there Curt. Nice to see a great photo now and then.

Thanks for taking the time to show us,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Andy Hoyt
02-17-2006, 11:52 PM
Hey Curt - It is too on topic. Look at all that "inventory" at the bottom of the hill.

Too dark to go take a picture outside right now, so here's one from last fall.

Mark Cothren
02-18-2006, 12:06 AM
Great shots... here's one on my in-law's farm, taken from one of our deer stands.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/stand1.jpg

Andy Hoyt
02-18-2006, 12:19 AM
So that's how you Arky boys do it!

Ya grow your own turning stock!:D

Curt Fuller
02-18-2006, 12:30 AM
Hey Curt - It is too on topic. Look at all that "inventory" at the bottom of the hill.

Too dark to go take a picture outside right now, so here's one from last fall.

Beautiful! Fall in Maine, is that somewhere between the 4th of July and Labor Day?

Mark Cothren
02-18-2006, 12:34 AM
So that's how you Arky boys do it!

Ya grow your own turning stock!:D

Oh yeah....:D Check out that big Ash on the left by the hay bale. FIL is ready for it to come down. There's a few loads of turning stock and firewood in that tree...;)

valerie williams
02-18-2006, 1:05 AM
OOOH, SO PRITTY! I love the one out of the deer stand though. I willhave to see if I have any sunset pics of shiloh national Mmilitary park, its about 5 minuitesfrom here.
Huggs
val

Andy Hoyt
02-18-2006, 1:09 AM
Oh yeah....:D Check out that big Ash on the left by the hay bale. FIL is ready for it to come down. There's a few loads of turning stock and firewood in that tree...;)

Mark, them are firewood trees.

I was looking at the ones you're growing right out there in the middle of the field. No knots, no bark, already bandsawn for ya.:D

Barry Stratton
02-18-2006, 1:09 AM
Beautiful photo's, thanks. I'll see if I can find any around here worthy of posting in the next day or so.

John Hart
02-18-2006, 1:43 AM
Nice pictures guys!!! I live in Ohio. Not sure if there's anything to take pictures of. I'll look around and get back to ya.;)

Frank Parker
02-18-2006, 1:55 AM
This is a picture i found of Mt. Konocti which is right across Clearlake from me
Frank

Barry Stratton
02-18-2006, 2:08 AM
Here's one I thought you might like. Anchorage in April......

http://www.mindspring.com/~alutiiq/pix/ak/anchorage-sunset-apr003.jpg

Frank Pellow
02-18-2006, 4:14 AM
Curt, it looks like yesterday was a "good mountain day" for you. :) When I lived in Washington State, that's what we called days when we could really see the mountains well. Here in Ontario, there is no such thing as a "good mountain day" and I really miss such days. :(

Vaughn McMillan
02-18-2006, 5:23 AM
Great shot, Curt. Nice sun highlights on the mountain.

Just to toss a couple of my own out here, here are two pics from beautiful uptown Tujunga CA (within the Los Angeles city limits, north of Burbank and Glendale, just south of the Angeles National Forest).

This is a sunset a few weeks ago from my back yard...

And this shot was taken about 1/8 mile around the corner from the house, last winter during a break in the very heavy rains we had here. I drive this route to and from work daily. My idea of LA congestion. ;)

Let's see some more "this is where I live" pics!

- Vaughn

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
02-18-2006, 5:34 AM
Nice pics guys!

People say we have a nice view from our roof top, the Down Town core of Tokyo, neon lights up the night, I think they are nuts, I'd rather look at mountains any day!!

here is a shot from some of my motorcycle rides, this was the fall of 2004....

http://www.ablett.jp/bikes/images/nov6th_pics/brilliant_red_bikes2.jpg

Mine is the red bike :D

Cheers!

Tim Burke
02-18-2006, 8:15 AM
I'll do my part, but living in Iowa puts me at a severe disadvantage for scenery! This is a picture at an evening single A baseball game. The stadium is located on the bank of the Mississippi River. Beautiful river views. The stadium was totally rebuilt in 2004 and is very nice for a single A farm team.

Jerry Olexa
02-18-2006, 11:35 AM
WOW that is a beautiful view. I am truly envious. I love the mts but live in the midwest (ugh)

Ken Fitzgerald
02-18-2006, 12:18 PM
I'm a mountain kind of guy......my wife is an ocean kind of gal....here's a few photos taken on a really special summer vacation we took with her parents..........

Photo 1 May I suggest Cortez Co. Cultural Center.....this family of Native American dancers ....it was free...Mom narrated...Dad and 2 daughters danced......here's Dad...

Photo 2.......Mesa Verde ancient cliff dwellings....just outside Cortez Co..

Photo 3.......Monument Valley Utah.....near 4 Corners..........was in a lot of John Wayne/John Ford directed movies....Thelma and Louise.....Clint Eastwood's The Eiger Sanction

Photo 4.......Sunset on the Oregon coast........

Photo 5 .......I like my mountains, streams...flyfishing......She likes her oceans....sunsets.......It's those differences that are special and we celebrate and enjoy them!

Mark Cothren
02-18-2006, 12:20 PM
I was looking at the ones you're growing right out there in the middle of the field. No knots, no bark, already bandsawn for ya.:D

Okay, gotcha now...:o

Jim Dunn
02-18-2006, 1:19 PM
Mark your gonna need a big green machine to turn those.

Travis Stinson
02-18-2006, 10:22 PM
One of my favorite places on this earth, September in the Rockies.:D

Ken Fitzgerald
02-18-2006, 11:00 PM
Travis......I'm an October-Novmber Mountain man myself. We often have the entire area to ourselves. Setting up camp at an elevation 7,000 ft., we often shovel snow to set the tents. We use wood stoves, cots with pads and drive into camp. We hunt elk on foot and use horses and mules to pack the elk out. While our Idaho mountains aren't as high as most of the Rockies, they are steeper on the average and have more underbrush. But you are right.....fall in the mountains............I have one place I love to see the quaking aspens in the evening with a slight breeze. From a distance it looks like gold shimmering in the sky! I enjoy hunting more in the cold weather and we don't have to worry as much about meat spoilage! IF I should ever quit admiring and appreciating the beauty of the mountains.......somebody please just shoot me!

Travis Stinson
02-18-2006, 11:59 PM
Ken, I'm envious of you guys that have that in your back yard. It's a crap shoot for me to be able to put a trip together and be able to pull it off. We've tried to make it at least every couple years, but haven't been able to make it the past 4-5 years. My partner has come down with some serious health issues and won't be able to make any more trips to the mountains:( . I'm trying to get something put together for this year, I'm getting homesick for my home away from home for a couple weeks.:D

Vaughn McMillan
02-19-2006, 3:33 AM
Travis......I'm an October-Novmber Mountain man myself. We often have the entire area to ourselves. Setting up camp at an elevation 7,000 ft., we often shovel snow to set the tents. We use wood stoves, cots with pads and drive into camp. We hunt elk on foot and use horses and mules to pack the elk out. While our Idaho mountains aren't as high as most of the Rockies, they are steeper on the average and have more underbrush. But you are right.....fall in the mountains............I have one place I love to see the quaking aspens in the evening with a slight breeze. From a distance it looks like gold shimmering in the sky! I enjoy hunting more in the cold weather and we don't have to worry as much about meat spoilage! IF I should ever quit admiring and appreciating the beauty of the mountains.......somebody please just shoot me!
Ken, you bring back memories of elk hunting in the Pecos Wilderness with my dad when I was a kid. Never even saw an elk there, but had some great times. One of the things I miss the most here on the Left Coast is the Rockies in the fall. Don't see a lot of quaking aspens in this neck of the woods.

Great pics, Travis...I especially liked the sunset shot.

- Vaughn

Curt Fuller
03-04-2006, 10:46 AM
Another shot of Ben Lomond Peak, morning after a fast moving snowstorm during the night. Those wispy clouds at the peak are snow blowing off the peak. You wouldn't want to be up there in just a jock strap and a pair of spurs:D .

The second shot is looking east, into the morning sun.

Curt Fuller
07-25-2006, 9:19 PM
This has the beautiful blue sky, amber waves of grain, and a pretty good idea of what it looks like in Northern Utah in July. It's Mantua (Man-2-A) reservoir, full of small bass, bluegills, and crappie.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-25-2006, 9:38 PM
Pretty scenery Curt! One of the best reasons for living out here! It's sure been fun watching my flatlander wife become mountainized! She comes home next week........I'm taking the week off. She wants to go somewhere...........I'm thinking about a trip to a little town in SW Wyoming I used to live in as a kid. Then across southern Idaho and back home. Just a few days......

John Hemenway
07-25-2006, 11:44 PM
The state park 'in da hood'. Annadel SP about 5 minutes from my house.

Karl Laustrup
07-26-2006, 7:58 AM
I'm thinking about a trip to a little town in SW Wyoming I used to live in as a kid. Then across southern Idaho and back home. Just a few days......

Is there a Woodcraft there? ;) :D Or how many will be along the route you're taking? You taking the "bomb"? Inquiring minds want to know. ;)

Karl