PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Question

Jason Christenson
02-17-2006, 9:42 PM
Can someone explain to me what a lever operated chuck is. I can't really visualize how one must work. Are there any downsides?

Thanks,
Jason

Jim Dunn
02-17-2006, 10:18 PM
Jason the chuck I purchased from PSI it came with 2 handles/levers? It's called a scroll chuck and you use the two handles to tighten it to the wood. So far so good. It was $50.00 and I can tell it's not the highest quality chuck but so far it's served it's intended purpose.

Cecil Arnold
02-17-2006, 10:26 PM
The down side is that you can't tighten it one handed while the other holds the work firmly in the chuck.

Jim Dunn
02-17-2006, 10:52 PM
Well, Cecil you can IF you lock the spindle. Course you gotta remember to UNlock the spindle before you start the lathe again. (What's that burning rubber smell?)

Bill Stevener
02-18-2006, 12:04 AM
Takes some time to learn how to use chop sticks one handed, after a while there's nothing to it.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Cecil Arnold
02-18-2006, 12:05 AM
Jim, I never think about that (locking the spindle) since none of my lathes made that easy without a modification.

Randy Meijer
02-18-2006, 2:20 AM
Jason: I'll try to give you a real answer to your question. The type of chuck you are talking about is actually loosened and tightened by the use of two.....I believe they are called Tommy bars. Actually they are metal rods in the vicinity of 6" long and 3/8" dia. for a mini-chuck and probably somewhat bigger for a full sized chuck. You insert the two "bars" into holes in the chuck and push or pull them in opposite directions to tighten or loosen the chuck. The best analogy I can think of would be like using two Crescent wrenches to jam two nuts together on a bolt or to loosen same.(Hope that paints a proper picture??)

As was pointed out earlier, it requires a bit of dexterity and some practice to successfully manipulate the two bars and your workpiece; but it can be accomplished. And after a few practice sessions, you will be able to chuck up your work without any trouble at all. I cannot argue with those who will suggest that the keyed chucks are easier to use; but they will probably forget to mention that you will pay an extra $50 to $75 for the convenience.

Jason Christenson
02-18-2006, 10:03 AM
Thank you all for your help.