PDA

View Full Version : Got this pen blanks.....

Corey Hallagan
02-17-2006, 9:25 PM
I have this piece of rosewood penblank. It was coated with a wax when I got it. Not sure where I got it but I think it came in a batch I ordered from Craft Supplies. It was irregular shaped so I ripped it square. In doing so it is apparent that the was has been on the blank for some time as it looks like it leached into the wood from all sides. When I ripped it square all sides are the most highly polished piece of wood I have ever seen. It is beautiful just like that and just as hard as can be. I mean hard and polished! Do you think I will be able to turn this piece or has that wax coating rendered in a petrified state. It would make a beautiful pen if I could get it turned I think unless the turning would make that waxy shiny hardness go away but It doesn't look like it. It looks like it would need no finish on it.
Corey

Mac McAtee
02-17-2006, 9:28 PM
Corey,
Rosewood has it's own natural oils in it. You are not seeing the effect of the protective wax, you are seen rosewood in it's natural state. Use the wood, make a beautiful pen and post a picture here.

Corey Hallagan
02-17-2006, 9:38 PM
Really, didn't know that. Thanks, will give her a shot!

Corey