PDA

View Full Version : Delta 17-965 drill press-casters-and run out?

Allen Bookout
02-17-2006, 8:39 PM
I just got my new Delta 17-965 drill press set up today and here are my first impressions. I decided on it due to post on this forum and I believe that I was steered in the right direction. It is more substantial than I thought that it would be for the price and the quality is better than I expected also. The motor runs but for how long and how hard remains to be seen. I am not too demanding on a drill press as I do not like working with metal so much any more so I will not be a good test person in this aspect. Although I would have liked the variable speed control, I think that for the cost differential the system that it has is not bad. It is not difficult to change speeds. I had read some things about vibration but if I had not read them I would have never noticed any at all. There is no more than I would have expected, very little in fact. Overall I am extremely satisfied and do not see how that you could get any more for the money.

I have included three images, just click on them for a larger view.

Image one: The drill press on a mobile base. Two 3/4 inch pieces of plywood glued togeather, 24" wide by 28" deep with three inch double locking casters bolted to the bottom. The unit is very stable believe it or not. I was a little concerned but worked out well.

Image two: I decided to try the casters from Hartville Tool due to another thread about cheap casters. Sure enough, they appear to be well made and work real smooth. They were around $6.50 apiece, about the same price as Grizzly (under the unpainted cabinet in the background). The Grizzlys, I would say, are just as good except a little harder to lock and unlock with your foot due to a shorter lever. Either brand is a good buy. The ones with blue on them that you also see in the background came from Home Depot, same quality I would say but cost twice as much.

Image three: I was measureing the wobble I call it. I think that the proper term is runout. Any technical person can correct me if I am wrong. I am getting a measurement of .003 of an inch about two inches from the chuck. It seems like that "runout" would be within reason. I don't know why I say that as I have nothing to base it on. IS IT WITHIN LIMITS? I would appreicate any information on this subject. Or--- maybe I really do not want to know just in case it is bad news. On second thought go ahead and tell me please. Thanks! Allen

David Abel
02-17-2006, 9:01 PM
Image three: I was measureing the wobble I call it. I think that the proper term is runout. Any technical person can correct me if I am wrong. I am getting a measurement of .003 of an inch about two inches from the chuck. It seems like that "runout" would be within reason. I don't know why I say that as I have nothing to base it on. IS IT WITHIN LIMITS? I would appreicate any information on this subject. Or--- maybe I really do not want to know just in case it is bad news. On second thought go ahead and tell me please. Thanks! Allen

The runout is fine.

Jim Becker
02-17-2006, 9:26 PM
Remember that the metal bar you use to measure may not be perfectly straight and/or formed, too... .003" works for me!

Allen Bookout
02-17-2006, 9:30 PM
Thanks guys! Makes me even more pleased about the purchase. Allen

Russ Massery
02-18-2006, 12:55 AM
Allan, Personally I would chuck that drill chuck. (no pun intended) Those chucks will last only a short time then will start giving you problems. Those stock drill chuck are pretty much junk. I'd replace it with a Jacob's. when your get a chance. We have several of these drill presses at work. I don't think any of them have the stock chuck on them. I'd say get your use out it then "chuck it". That shop of your looks much too clean and neat .:rolleyes:

Bill Fields
02-18-2006, 1:13 AM
Allan:

Great job on the mobile base. Looks like my attempt at same. All my machines are on a STURDY ply base w/ LARGE--5 or 6" casters.

BTW, since all my machines need to be moved to do work (3-car garage with large flat driveway out front--Arizona, you know!)--I use BIG casters, and I have never felt the need for "locking". The deep grooves in the garage and driveway keep everything in place.

BILL

Allen Bookout
02-18-2006, 8:10 AM
Thanks Bill!

Russ, I am sure that you are right about the chuck since a really good one cost more than one third the cost of the whole drill press to begin with.

Allen

Russ Massery
02-18-2006, 9:04 AM
BTW I really like your mobile base for your drill press. A Jacob's really isn't that expensive. Even there lower end chucks are in the 45.00-55.00 range.