PDA

View Full Version : Elm Bowl

Bernie Weishapl
02-17-2006, 7:15 PM
Well here is bowl #3. It is what I call Chinese Elm wood. It was pretty easy turning or the more I turn it gets easier. I was amazed that it has been a couple of months since I cut it with the chainsaw and just used latex paint to seal it. I put on 3 coats and it seems to have worked well. Anyway got it roughed out and in the DNA. SWMBO told me to finish it so it looks nice because she is making a candy dish out of it for the table or she said she might use it for potpourri. She said I would like to have one a little bigger and (I just smiled:D ) said I have to have a bigger lathe for that. Anyway here it is.

Jim Dunn
02-17-2006, 7:20 PM
She said I would like to have one a little bigger and (I just smiled:D ) said I have to have a bigger lathe for that. Anyway here it is.

Bernie nice bowl. Looks like it would be big enough for Andy's icecream addiction.:rolleyes:

Jump on that "one a little bigger" statement and get a big Mustard or Mayo colored one.:eek:

Bill Stevener
02-17-2006, 7:56 PM
Bernie, that's quite a nice bowl. Looks humongous in your photos, how big is it??

A bigger one, "I have to have a bigger lathe for that" You sly old fox you.:rolleyes:

Quick thinkin though,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Corey Hallagan
02-17-2006, 8:05 PM
Really great looking bowl Bernie! Hope it all turns out ok for you. I am still taking bets that you have a BOL (Big Old Lathe) in the shop by the All Star Break! :)
Corey

Cecil Arnold
02-17-2006, 8:19 PM
What is it now Bernie, 3 months and you're already looking at mustard or mayo. Nice bowl.

George Conklin
02-17-2006, 8:22 PM
She said I would like to have one a little bigger and (I just smiled:D ) said I have to have a bigger lathe for that. Anyway here it is.

Work it, Bernie. Work it!:D

I'm not for sure about this but, you might want to be careful about what finish you use if "SWMBO" chooses to use the bowl for potpourri. The oils my wife uses seem to be very tough on a finish. Hopefully somebody with experience, (not me) can shed more light on this.

BTW. What does SWMBO stand for?

George

George Conklin
02-17-2006, 8:23 PM
What is it now Bernie, 3 months and you're already looking at mustard or mayo. Nice bowl.

Or maybe a Silver Bullet?

George

Jim Dunn
02-17-2006, 8:54 PM
Swmbo=she Who Must Be Obeyed

George Conklin
02-17-2006, 9:15 PM
Swmbo=she Who Must Be Obeyed

Roger.

George

Ernie Nyvall
02-17-2006, 9:33 PM
She said I would like to have one a little bigger and (I just smiled:D ) said I have to have a bigger lathe for that. Anyway here it is. [/SIZE]

Bernie Bernie Bernie... that's a cheap trick. Tisk tisk tisk... Works though:p .

Nice work on the bowl. Keep it up.

Ernie

Mike Ramsey
02-17-2006, 10:14 PM
Ataboy Bernie, Proud to know you ;) ...I mentioned to my wife today
that it would be nice to have a better lathe like those folks on SMC
have! But she said that I'd already worked that line on her to get
the one I have now ;) . Gotta think of another approach! :D

Andy Hoyt
02-17-2006, 10:19 PM
Mike - Show her that monster Dick turned for his wife.

"Promise her anything, but give yourself white iron".

Oh yeah - nice one Bernie!

Paul Douglass
02-17-2006, 10:26 PM
Wow, pretty wood. I hate to think how much of that I have burned up! Be sure and post pictures when it is finished.

Bernie Weishapl
02-17-2006, 11:30 PM
Thanks for all the kind comments. I will post pictures when I get it finished. Not sure but have been looking at a 1442 or 1642 for a while now. Not sure I could slip a 1642 by but maybe a 1442.

George the potpourri my wife uses is like rose pedals, leaves, etc.

Cecil Arnold
02-17-2006, 11:58 PM
Bernie, skip all those intermediate steps and go for the mustard.

Bernie Weishapl
02-18-2006, 12:33 AM
Cecil I may be able to slip a bigger lathe by the SWMBO but she still carries the check book. :cool:

Barry Stratton
02-18-2006, 12:35 AM
Nice job on the bowl, Bernie. You appear to be a natural.

And think CREDIT CARD for the BIG new lathe.............

John Hart
02-18-2006, 1:36 AM
Great work Bernie! You're reminding me how lousy I am at bowls!!!:o

Michael Stafford
02-18-2006, 6:16 AM
I won't get into the argument about mayo or mustard, I have neither...:o But it looks as if you are ready for a larger machine. Nice work Bernie.:D

Glenn Hodges
02-18-2006, 8:06 AM
Bernie, how big is it at this stage? I wonder if anyone knows how stable this wood is and how much warp you will have to deal with when it is dry. I think a good oil finish like tung oil will not be harmed with popcorn oil. The bowl looks good to me. I like the lip because if you eat buttered popcorn your hands will be greasey and the lip will prevent the bowl from slipping out of your hands, good thinking.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
02-18-2006, 8:31 AM
REALLY nice bowl, that wood is VERY similar to the wood that I've just harvested. The grain is SUPER nice isn't it :D

Cheers!

Keith Burns
02-18-2006, 9:34 AM
Great one Bernie !:) I think you have the hang of this spinny stuff ! :) :)

Dennis Peacock
02-18-2006, 12:15 PM
Very nice Bernie. I can see that you're getting more comfortable at the lathe and your skill is improving as well. Most Excellent. Now....let's make sure our tools are sharp and let's try to thin those walls just a bit more. If you're like me, making thin walls will be nerve-racking. I guess I'm always afraid of blowing out a potential bowl.:rolleyes: ;)

Dennis Peacock
02-18-2006, 12:17 PM
Cecil I may be able to slip a bigger lathe by the SWMBO but she still carries the check book. :cool:

Bernie,

Now days, the price difference between the 1442 and the PM 3520 is well worth the extra money. Just trust me on this one.;) :D

Bernie Weishapl
02-18-2006, 12:40 PM
Thanks again. Yes Dennis the walls will be thinner but I did get me one of those double ended calipers. I did use them on this bowl to get a pretty consistant 3/4" from the top to the bottom of the bowl. I hope they help when I go to finish this thing so I don't end up with another funnel. :D

Glenn it is 8 1/2" across the top and about 3" or so deep. The first one I did with Elm did not move as much as I thought if would. I will take some pictures when dry and let you know.

John H. who are you trying to kid. I am hoping I can get pretty close to some of the stuff you do.

Dave Wimmer
02-18-2006, 12:43 PM
Bernie, remember it always easier to beg for forgiveness than it is for permission.

Rich Stewart
02-18-2006, 1:49 PM
I guess I better leave that one alone Andy.

Chris DiCiaccio
02-18-2006, 1:59 PM
Great Bowl! That's going to look nice when you finish it. Hope it's soon. Good workmanship.

Mike Forsman
02-19-2006, 10:01 AM
Bernie, That is a really nice bowl. One of my co-workers casually mentioned that she was going to have to have a elm tree (about 3 feet across at the base) that was growing too close to the house removed. She though I was crazy when I told her I would like to have the tree trunk after it has been cut down. If that elm looks as good as yours, and I can do half as good of job, should make some nice bowls.

Bernie Weishapl
02-19-2006, 10:18 AM
One of my co-workers casually mentioned that she was going to have to have a elm tree (about 3 feet across at the base) that was growing too close to the house removed. She though I was crazy when I told her I would like to have the tree trunk after it has been cut down. If that elm looks as good as yours, and I can do half as good of job, should make some nice bowls.

Mike I have found that Elm is actually a pretty wood and we have plenty of them being taken down all the time by tree trimmers so I should have a good stock of it.

Thanks again to everyone for your kind comments.