PDA

View Full Version : I'm wireless!! (+ a question......)

Roy Wall
02-17-2006, 5:16 PM
Hey all,

Thanks to a little product advice from our own John M. - I'm using a Linksys router and can now use the laptop around the house.

Question - I had to use linksys customer service to get setup (ip addresses and such..). He told me I don't need a firewall setup...or any time of Ad-aware, etc...software ---his take was the Lnksys router IS THE BEST DEFENSE against all the badness of the web. Just let the router take care of it.......

Any thoughts???

Thanks (and thank you John!!)

Keith Burns
02-17-2006, 5:21 PM
I'm not a computer whiz, but that sounds like a crock. I have a Linkseys router and still use Adware, Norton, Spybot and Registry Mechanic. Catch stuff all the time and clean out stuff all the time.

Doug Shepard
02-17-2006, 5:28 PM
Well it's been about 14 mos. since I set my Linksys up and I don't recall all the details, but there's a couple of default settings that apparently any PFK (pimple faced kid) can use to access your router unless you change them. I think setting those can minimize folks ability to access your router or PC, but I'm not sure if they totally eliminate that problem. I think this is a case where a healthy dose of paranoia can be a good thing.

Jim Becker
02-17-2006, 6:03 PM
DANGER WILL ROBINSON! DO NOT LISTEN TO THAT Nether-geek! Yes, you still need virus, spyware and active firewall protection software on your PCs. Do not pass go...do not collect $200. Make sure you have them on your machine. Most problems enter your PC from email and web browsing...not via someone attacking you directly. And the software firewalls, such as ZoneAlarm, are two-way...the protect you from applications that try to "phone home" without your permission or knowledge, too. The hardware firewall is just your first line of defense...

BTW, be sure that you have set up wireless security on the router. You really don't want just "anyone" using your Internet access nor having free access to your computer(s). Set up a unique SSID (network name), turn on encryption and even consider hiding the SSID from broadcast.

Don Baer
02-17-2006, 6:18 PM
I have the Lynksys wireless router also but trust me you still want to protect against viruses and adaware. It wont stop them. Like Jim said make sure you enable the security feature also. I used to have Black ICE as a firewall and it did stop hacker in that regard but The viruses and adaware can get to you via other means...DAMHIKT

Vaughn McMillan
02-17-2006, 6:34 PM
What Jim Becker said. ;) The router will potentially make it harder for the bad guys, but it won't completely stop them, so don't throw away your anti-virus, anti-spyware, and software firewall.

- Vaughn

Jim Becker
02-17-2006, 9:20 PM
Oh, and don't forget to change the router password from the default... ;)
------

If want an eye-opener, hook up with someone that has a pocket PC with wireless and do some "war driving" through your neighborhood. You will be totally amazed at how many residences and even small businesses have totally wide open wireless networks...scary.

Ian Abraham
02-17-2006, 9:26 PM
The Linksys router / firewall will give you good protection against any worm that spreads by randomly probing the internet for other vulnerable machines, and some protection against trojan programs that open up your machine to remote access. So it good protection against about 1/3 of the nasties. :rolleyes:

It is however only PART of a good security setup. It will do NOTHING to prevent you recieving a virus via email or downloading spyware from a compromised web page. You still need a virus scanner (take your pick there :rolleyes: ) and Ad-Aware etc will also be usefull.

You dont NEED a software firewall if you are behind hardware one, although Zonealarm or similar will allow you to pick up that your machine is infected with something as it tries to connect out, an external firewall may assume it's legit traffic from your machine and pass it.

Ad-aware has a very different function to both the firewall and the virus scanner, so I use that as well.

Cheers

Ian

Roy Wall
02-17-2006, 9:39 PM
thanks guys.......

I did change the password when I installed the router and have updated my adaware and avg free edition.

According to my control panel, my

firewall is on
updates are on
virus protection is on

For more of my education...........

I think? I have changed the SSID name......how do you encryp and hide it??

If my modem is OFFLINE does this disable the router (I think it should)?

What is the range of my connection - yards, ft, etc..??

You guys are a great help!!

Tim Burke
02-18-2006, 8:30 AM
I think? I have changed the SSID name......how do you encryp and hide it??

If my modem is OFFLINE does this disable the router (I think it should)?

On the Basic Wireless Settings page, set Wireless SSID Broadcast to Disable. When you do this, you will not be able to see your network in the wireless network settings on your pc until you manually enter the name, which you already have. Therefore someone casually surfing the air in your immediate area will not be able to see your network.

Another thing I have done with mine is to enable the Wireless MAC filter so that only my laptop (and my son's when he visits) can log on to the network.

As for firewall, I think the Win XP firewall is fine, and free!

I do not run any antivirus or adware/spam protection. I do not have kids at home any more, and my wife and I know how to avoid trouble. You can go to numerous places like pcpitstop to get free analysis to see if you have picked up anything bad.

Wireless range is variable depending on where you place your router. Mine is in the basement. I can get it all through the house, but the concrete walls do a great job of blocking it from working in the yard real well. I will be relocating it.

Turning your modem off does not disable your router, only your connection to the internet. If you have computers networked at home, they will still be able to communicate with each other.

Tim

Corey Hallagan
02-18-2006, 10:25 AM
Congrats! I am wireless from upstairs to downstairs. I need to get a laptop for the shop!

Corey

Jim Becker
02-18-2006, 10:27 AM
As for firewall, I think the Win XP firewall is fine, and free!

It does work, but doesn't protect from any outgoing threats. Microsoft plans to add that in Windows Vista, the next generation of Windows due late this year. Until then, ZoneAlarm or similar is a better personal firewall choice as it/they do protect against outgoing ("phone home")threats.