PDA

View Full Version : Steel stud pros/cons

Scott Parks
02-17-2006, 12:11 PM
I was recently spec'ing out a house that would require me to finish the basement. I was pricing it for metal studs (35 cents/each vs. 2.50 wood). I know it is a LOT cheaper, and faster to put up walls with metal. That project didn't pan out, but I'd like to learn more about metal framing.

Anyone have a lot of experience with metal stud framing? I'm curious if the walls feel or sound 'tinny'. Does this make the house feel 'cheap'? I shoot for higher end homes/quality, but don't want to be accused of cheaping out. I've never used or seen a wall with metal studs before, but I'm considering this option. I may frame my own personal basement with metal studs, just to give it a shot, and see how it turns out.

Anyone got .o2 to add?

Thanks....

Don Baer
02-17-2006, 12:18 PM
Scott,
Using metal studs has been discussed in several threads on this forum. Do a search on metal studs and I am sure you find it quite iinformative.
Here one of the better discussion.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=23403&highlight=metal+studs

tod evans
02-17-2006, 12:21 PM
scott, i`ve put up lots of walls in commercial space using metal studs and no they don`t sound tinny. they`re dead straight, easy to run electrical and plumbing through and if you order the correct gauge and depth can be load bearing. the reason you don`t see them much in residential construction is 1) different tools to work and, 2) much slower for a fellow used to banging wood. when i trimmed for a living there where a few builders i worked for who would use metal alongside wood in the kitchen and on long, highly visable walls to assure straight-flat walls. installing wainscoting and chair rail on a wall framed out of metal looks fantastic! where on a stick framed wall a fellow really has to fuss with the chair rail to make the wall appear straight..02 tod

Kyle Kraft
02-17-2006, 12:27 PM
IMHO, I wouldn't use steel studs if you plan on hanging anything heavier than a picture on that wall!! My father-in-law discovered to his dismay that the previous owner of his house used steel studs when he tried to mount some overhead cabinets on the wall....too flimsy to bear the weight without reinforcement.

Steve Clardy
02-17-2006, 2:04 PM
They make special screws for metal studs for hanging cabinets and such. But if you know that you will hang a cabinet or two on them, fill in between the metal studs with a 2x6 or 2x8 horizontially

Joe Pelonio
02-17-2006, 2:24 PM
I did some work with them here at the shop while remodeling before I moved in. They are easier to work with for interior walls, and no worries about a warped stud or knots. The special screws go in just as easily
so overall it saves time. When you bang on the wall there's no noticeable difference in the sound.

Rick Reinsma
02-18-2006, 11:17 AM
I did my whole basemet with them. PROS...straight walls, easy for drywall taping you can put the sheets vertical saves taping butt joints,no expansion due to moisture so the screws wont pop out,great for boxing around ductwork or other bulkhead,cleaner no sawdust.Lighter. CONS....its easier putting vapour barrier on wood, running wire through the studs you are limited to the holes in the studs and they could cut the wire if your not careful, Cut'son your hands,you need 16" insulation instead of 14.5" but then again you are getting a better insulation job, Sometimes there might be a problem with hanging stuff on walls but this is rare due due the many fastners avaliable and usually it is regading "shear" weight. It will take quite a lot of weight to shear off a fastner....OVERALL I would go with the steel in any nonload bearing situation