PDA

View Full Version : GPS systems

Bob Marino
02-17-2006, 10:06 AM
Any recommendations for a good GPS system? I am thinking the smaller, more portable, fit in the breifcase ones, would suit me better as I wouldn't leave it in the car when nott in use.

Bob

John Miliunas
02-17-2006, 10:41 AM
Hi Bob,
Been pretty happy with my Garmin Quest. (Garmin is widely used by our different factions of the US Military!). Hey, if it's good enough for the guys and gals protecting us....:D :cool:

Tyler Howell
02-17-2006, 10:43 AM
What are you going to use it for Bob??? Driving? On the water? Hiking??
They are like power tools, specialized.

I like Garmin products for boating and it's a fun toy when you're drivng cross country too.;)

Martin Shupe
02-17-2006, 10:53 AM
Garmin gets my vote as well.

Bob Marino
02-17-2006, 10:57 AM
I will be using it for driving. I need something that's easy to use and has voice commands.

Bob

Don Baer
02-17-2006, 11:01 AM
Garmin model 2620. I've had mine for 2 1/2 years and it's still the finist one on the market. I've taken it from Florida to Alaska and never ever has it failed me. No need to load maps the whole North America Database in on board. I call it Alice because of the female voice who like my wife keeps telling me where to go.

John Miliunas
02-17-2006, 11:02 AM
I will be using it for driving. I need something that's easy to use and has voice commands.

Bob

Bob, the Quest fits that description. Heck, if I can figure it out, anyone can!!! :rolleyes: :D It does have voice commands and comes with a decent windshield mount and external speaker. :) :cool:

John Miliunas
02-17-2006, 11:06 AM
Garmin model 2620. I've had mine for 2 1/2 years and it's still the finist one on the market. I've taken it from Florida to Alaska and never ever has it failed me. No need to load maps the whole North America Database in on board. I call it Alice because of the female voice who like my wife keeps telling me where to go.

I looked at the 2620 and, if I had a bit more $$$ to spend, I think that's the one I woulda' went with. Still happy with my Quest, though. I think the most fun I had with it is when we flew to Florida last summer. I actually cranked the thing "on" as we were getting closer to our destination. Was able to track our speed, altitude and knew what was under us all the time. Kinda' cool. :) :cool:

Don Baer
02-17-2006, 12:49 PM
I looked at the 2620 and, if I had a bit more $$$ to spend, I think that's the one I woulda' went with. Still happy with my Quest, though. I think the most fun I had with it is when we flew to Florida last summer. I actually cranked the thing "on" as we were getting closer to our destination. Was able to track our speed, altitude and knew what was under us all the time. Kinda' cool. :) :cool:

Yes you might say the the 2620 is the Festool of GPS's...:D

John Miliunas
02-17-2006, 12:55 PM
Yes you might say the the 2620 is the Festool of GPS's...:D

Yeah, but how's the dust collection on it???:confused: :D :D :D :cool:

Jim DeLaney
02-17-2006, 1:03 PM
I've had the Garmin 2720 for about six months, and love it! Very accurate in finding addresses, attractions, restaraunts, hotels, etc. Very pleasant feminine voice (Jill) gives the turn-by-turn directions. Lead time on turn directions is speed related. At 70 mph, she gives about a 0.8~0.9 mile heads up, then again at ¼ mile, then again at the actual turn. At 35 mph, directions are at about half a mile, quarter mile, and at the turn.

Wife loves it too, since she's no longer the navigator - and as she says, no longer gets yelled at for missed turns, etc... (Not that I've ever actually done that!)

BTW, the 2720 is the newest model - one up from the 2620 that Don recommends. Actually, since it's been six months, there might even be a 2820 by now...

Glenn Clabo
02-17-2006, 1:33 PM
Bob,
We've had the Garmin 2720 and love it. We haven't been able to screw it up yet...and we've tried. We tried the smaller ones and they are somewhat harder to see and don't have all the points of interest. Popping it off the dash and into the glovebox isn't hard at all.

Keith Burns
02-17-2006, 2:03 PM
I know the Garmin is good, but I got the Magellan 760 and it works great as well. All maps are preloaded. If I had it to do again I would get the 700 though. Just my nickles worth.

Bob Marino
02-17-2006, 2:51 PM
Thanks all. I ended up with the NUVI 350 from Garmin. I needed something that can slip right into my pocket/breifcase/pack easily - just would never feel safe leaving it in the car. From the reviews online, most folks are happy with it. I made sure I dealt with a dealer that was recommended and has a good/fair return policy if I ain't happy - and just so happens to be somewhat local too boot! I was surprised at the number of places that will not accept returns on these items if you are not satisfied.

Bob

Glenn Clabo
02-17-2006, 3:19 PM
Bob,
I'm sure you'll like it. Now you have to tell me if the "voice" has an attitude when you don't follow the directions as presented. Ours seems to say "Recomputing" with a huff...as if we are too dumb to follow directions.

John Shuk
02-17-2006, 3:59 PM
I've seen the Tom-Tom in use and I was impressed. It shows the road ahead in almost a first person perspective. You get a heads up on curves and turns and such. It is the first choice among the NYC car service guys that I've talked to. The radio commercials are annoying but it is a nice product. Very cool.

John Shuk
02-17-2006, 4:00 PM
oops. Just read that you got one.

Jim DeLaney
02-17-2006, 4:42 PM
Bob,
I'm sure you'll like it. Now you have to tell me if the "voice" has an attitude when you don't follow the directions as presented. Ours seems to say "Recomputing" with a huff...as if we are too dumb to follow directions.

Yeah, she does seem a bit caustic about having to recalculate, doesn't she. Good thing they didn't program her to say something like "Hey, Dummy, you missed the turn again!" Although, I'll bet my wife would love something like that... (See my previous post...)

Ian Barley
02-18-2006, 10:34 AM
I know it's too late for Bob but just in case anybody else picks up the thread I would make a vote for a "Pocket PC" based system. I have a Navman sat receiver and an Ipaq PPC. Connection is via bluetooth and not only can I carry the PPC easily but I can use its organiser functions as well.

Bob - hope you get what you want from your unit. SatNav saves me at least a couple of days accumulated driving each year and makes my customer visits almost completely painless - you will love it.

Bob Marino
02-18-2006, 11:42 AM
I know it's too late for Bob but just in case anybody else picks up the thread I would make a vote for a "Pocket PC" based system. I have a Navman sat receiver and an Ipaq PPC. Connection is via bluetooth and not only can I carry the PPC easily but I can use its organiser functions as well.

Bob - hope you get what you want from your unit. SatNav saves me at least a couple of days accumulated driving each year and makes my customer visits almost completely painless - you will love it.

I am sure there are a whole slew of great GPS's out there and they seem to be new models out almost monthly. But that's also why I bought from a dealer who has a decent return policy. I hope to be satisfied, but at least I have recourse if not.

Bob

Bob Marino
02-24-2006, 9:15 AM
Just a quick follow up on the NUVI. I am impressed! It is about the size of a deck of cards, fits in my pocket when I take it out of the car, comes preloaded with the maps and is very easy to use. So, for my needs, it fits the bill nicely.

Bob