PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic Featherboards

Carl Eyman
07-29-2003, 1:56 PM
I think it was here last week somwbody was raving about magnetic featherboards. There was a brand name I've forgotten, Can anybody steer me straight? (I'm not very maneuverable) Carl

Noah Alkinburgh
07-29-2003, 2:15 PM
I believe what you are looking for is the Grip Tite Magnetic Feather Board. Rockler sells them as do many other WWing type stores. Lee Schier was the raving lunatic...er rather :D the one raving about how good they are I believe.

Noah

Glenn Clabo
07-29-2003, 3:00 PM
I have a wood one and one like this...use them ALL the time. Cost about 30 bucks.

Lee Schierer
07-29-2003, 4:40 PM
I'm guilty. Mine are the older style wood ones. I use them all the time, they are great. Gript Tite has a web site and 800 number. The web site is: Grip Tite (http://grip-tite.com/)

The 800 number is: 800 475 0293. Tell them I sent you...just kidding, they don't know me from Adam or Noah, but I am a satisfied customer. I don't think the side roller feature is available in the new plastic versions.

My web site shows how I mounted them to my Beismeyer fence. Lee's Fence (http://home.earthlink.net/~us71na/fence.html)

Mike Schwing
07-29-2003, 9:55 PM
I don't have them but I'm sure it was the Grip Tite. I drooled and drooled and drooled over them at the Woodworking Show in Baltimore last winter. The product manufacturer/inventor was doing the demo and I was in some sort of trance watching him do things that made everyone in the audience back up a few steps, with no problems at all.

I don't really need them now with my Saw Train and the accessories that came with it, but if you're in the market - do it!

They sell machined steel fences that bolt onto your fence if your fence is plastic or aluminum.

Jim Baker
07-29-2003, 10:48 PM
I have yellow grip tites like Glenn's. They have the rollers. I use them all the time and really like them. I really believe they add to safety and accuracy.

Like most show demonstrators, the guy I saw demonstrate them in St. Louis was very impressive. He put on an excellent performance. I particularly rember his comment about safety. It went something like "If you are going to cut off a finger, do it on a bandsaw, not a tablesaw. It leaves a cleaner cut with a better chance for reattachment."

David LaRue
07-30-2003, 12:16 AM
I too have the older style wooden ones. I have upgraded to the rollers. Here is the link to a picture of them on my site: Grip Tites in action! (http://home.comcast.net/~mywoodshop/html/stock_control.html)

I recommend them highly and use them with other machines too. :)

Dave

Hal Flynt
07-30-2003, 10:20 AM
I really like the ones with the wheels. If you buy the kit with the metal fence attachment, it comes with a video that is worthwhile to watch a few times to help you remember all that it will do.

Nothing comes close to enabling you to rip thin strips safely, and with very smooth sides.

Mac McAtee
07-30-2003, 2:45 PM
These things look rather simple. Why couldn't a person make a few out of some nice leftover wood scraps and some plastic sheet goods?

Kneale Brownson
07-30-2003, 3:23 PM
I made a sled I can clamp featherboards to. Got some 2 1/2-3" magnets at HD. I use it more on the steel top of my router table (Veritas insert surrounded by metal) than on the saws. I've probably got $5-6 invested in the magnets. Rest was scrap. I did have to put a largish handle on it like the commercial products. Only way to get it off a table is to tip it over so the magnets don't touch the steel.