PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning table stains

Alex Berkovsky
02-17-2006, 9:48 AM
I was just talking to my manager about furniture and he asked me if I knew how to clean sticky spills off a dining room table. According to him, the finish is not ruined; these sounded like juice spills and food stains. Are there any commercial products that you can recommend?

Chris Fite
02-18-2006, 6:12 PM
Other than water, you could try mineral spirits. It will dissolve grease, grime, and wax. It won't damage the finish. When it evaporates, it leaves no residue.

valerie williams
02-18-2006, 6:30 PM
I agree with the Mineral spirits, but pass on what you will about my first experience! I wanted to get grease spots off the floor in the shop part of our old office, so I used the MS. My grandaddy started a welding machine and before I could get it out of my mouth, a spark hit the floor and the whole area lit on fire! It died down quidk enugh cause the area was clear, but it scared the bejesus out of me, and ruined a pair of shoes!
Huggs
Val

Richard Wolf
02-18-2006, 7:25 PM
Alex, there is a good articule in this months Fine Woodworking, (April 06). "Maintaining a Finish" suggests you use an Emulsion Polish for cleaning dirt and grease. The one everyone will know is Endust, but you would look smarter if you showed up with a lesser know product like Guardmans Furniture Polish or Weiman Furniture Cream.

Richard

Alex Berkovsky
02-18-2006, 10:13 PM
Richard,
I do have this month's FWW magazine and will read the article and will also suggest mineral spirits. Thank you all for the tips.