PDA

View Full Version : How Would You Make This?

Vaughn McMillan
02-17-2006, 2:06 AM
I've been contacted by a potential client in Ohio who'd like a paper towel holder styled to match her new cherry bathroom cabinets. The cabinets have little ~ 1.25" x 2.5" "rosettes" that appear to be raised above the surface of the cabinet frame.

Here's the manufacturer's website shot of the cabinets in general:

And here's a pic she sent of the detail:

She also sent a tracing of the detail, so I know the general height and width dimensions.

OK, enough background...the question is...how would you do a similar detail on the ends of a paper towel holder? I've told her I think I could approximate the style, but probably couldn't duplicate it exactly. I've seen plunge bits with an ogee profile, and I'm considering doing it with a router and template, and routing the design into the panel instead of raising it somehow. I have the typical hobbyist collection of routers and a router table, although I've never done any template routing.

Any ideas out there?

- Vaughn

Joe Chritz
02-17-2006, 5:39 AM
I would use a CNC router but if I didn't have access to one I think a template is the way to go.

Maybe do it as a small raised panel. Although that don't sound like fun to much fun.

Joe

Rob Millard
02-17-2006, 6:24 AM
I would hand carve it ( disclosure, I'm at best a mediocre carver). Even if you use a router, some carving would be necessary in the corners. Routers and I don't get along too well.
I'd send her two contour gauges, and have her take a cross section north/south and east/west. Taping the "blades" of the gauge in place would hold the setting while she mailed them back, or she could trace the settings onto paper, requiring only one gauge.

Rob Millard

tod evans
02-17-2006, 6:38 AM
vaughn, that one was done by cnc, the same effect can be achieved with a router and different sized templates, since it`s rectangular the templates should be fairly simple. unless you already own the router bits i`m gonna guess and say 100-150 in bits alone.......maybe not what she had in mind? try calling the cabinet mfgr. and ask if they`ll sell the rosettes loose.......02 tod