PDA

View Full Version : New Saws arrived!!

Mark Stutz
02-16-2006, 11:21 PM
Well, my slide down this slope has been fast and furious!:eek: As with most, it started with a few planes, rapidly spread to a few chisels, and inevitably to saws! I'm just not far enough down the slope to tackle sharpening a 14 ppi tenon saw!

I recently sent a couple of old tenon saws to Mike Wenzloff for sharpening, and after he got them we were talking about rip vs, crosscut. I decided neither was deep enough to really make a rip, in case I wanted to do any big tenons (think workbench), and decided I NEEDED and new saw;) :D .

What a fun experience. This is truly a custom saw. Since I'm a novice I asked for a lot of advice in choosing length, ppi, handle style, etc. Mike was ever so patient, and sometimes I felt bad because he answered my emails so promptly and it took me a while:o . The only problem was that he had too many choices of wood for the handle!:D I couldn't make up my mind! I finally settled on Panamanian Rosewood for the new rip saw, and rehandled an R.H. Davis with Mubangu. The old one wasn't too bad but this is custom and fits my hand so much better.

Thanks Mike.

Steve Wargo
02-16-2006, 11:30 PM
Nice!!!!! Too bad they weren't there for me to play with. Nice Gloat/Score.

Mike Wenzloff
02-17-2006, 12:17 AM
My pleasure, Mark.

The rip does just that--it rips! The handle angle [hang] really does help in keeping the forearm in line on these heavy rip saw, as well as not allowing the hand to push the saw down in the cut which allows the saw to do its job.

Again, great working with you and I'm looking forward to seeing what you make with it.

Take care, Mike

P.S. Sorry I couldn't get them there in time for your visit to Mark's place, Steve.

Alan DuBoff
02-17-2006, 2:11 AM
Mike,

Like all of your work I've seen pics of, very nice.

I have a Beardshaw & Son backsaw, low profile, 14" long, 1 3/4" at the heal, and 1 1/2" at the toe. Intersting is that it appears to have a pin through the back at the toe and heal.

This could be tapered because of sharpening, is my guess, since there's not a lot of blade between the handle and teeth. Filed kinda course, 11 points.

Dan Forman
02-17-2006, 3:18 AM
Mark---Lookin' good, the man does lovely work. I'm sure you will put them to good use.

Dan

Mark Singer
02-17-2006, 8:57 AM
Mark those are beautiful! Handles look great too. That Mike makes a terrific saw! I have an old fine tenon saw that looks a lot like yours.

Jim Becker
02-17-2006, 3:42 PM
Beautiful saw, Mark and Mike!

Mark Stutz
02-17-2006, 8:06 PM
[QUOTE=Mike Wenzloff] and I'm looking forward to seeing what you make with it.QUOTE]

You mean I actually have to make something?:confused: ;) :D

Mark