PDA

View Full Version : Andy Hoyt... What a guy!

George Conklin
02-16-2006, 10:28 PM
This just arrived at 6pm.

I believe this was from the haul he made from a fellow Creeker in Conneticut.

My lathe has never seen anything this big! Or this natural for that matter:rolleyes: . All I have turned before has been ready cut blocks from my local turning stuff store.

My guess is it's Hickory and not Cedar??? Any ideas?

Jim Dunn
02-16-2006, 10:34 PM
I think he sent you the mess off his floor too. I've come to expect something like the from Andy:eek::eek::rolleyes::p George he's just sucking you deeper and deeper into the vortex. As he said "it's all in the wrist" and looks like in the box.

John Hart
02-16-2006, 10:38 PM
Yup...this is how Andy cleans up....And really, I don't blame him.:D

Very nice George. It looks like the same as the one I got. Hickory. I really enjoyed the piece I got and now resides on the conference table in my office.

George Conklin
02-16-2006, 10:44 PM
Yup...this is how Andy cleans up....And really, I don't blame him.:D .

Are you guys referring to the wood chip packing material? My dog loved that stuff:D .

George

John Hart
02-16-2006, 10:51 PM
Are you guys referring to the wood chip packing material? My dog loved that stuff:D .

George

So did mine...In the living room...then I saw the note on the box "Open in the shop - Might be messy" :o

Cecil Arnold
02-16-2006, 11:40 PM
George that shop is way too clean, you need to make some chips. I'm sure glad Andy gave me an idea on how to get rid of that stuff.

Jim Ketron
02-16-2006, 11:43 PM
Hey He has got to git rid of those shavings somehow, why not share them with friends:D
can't wait to see what ya do with it!

Andy Hoyt
02-16-2006, 11:53 PM
Ooooops!!!! That looks like one of the good pieces. Send it back!:D

So.... In all seriousness -- What is the consensus on the packaging material? My thought is that it not only keeps it from sloshing around and busting through the box but also serves to retain moisture within the box a bit longer. Kinda like burying a roughout in shavings over night. Speak up.

John Hart
02-17-2006, 6:50 AM
Ooooops!!!! That looks like one of the good pieces. Send it back!:D

So.... In all seriousness -- What is the consensus on the packaging material? My thought is that it not only keeps it from sloshing around and busting through the box but also serves to retain moisture within the box a bit longer. Kinda like burying a roughout in shavings over night. Speak up.

Oh..Hey...I think the shavings are perfect. Just like you said, they give the wood a nice environment while it is on its trip. Plus, when I did the alkie soak, I used your box and the shavings as my alcohol container. Great idea.:)

Jim Dunn
02-17-2006, 7:13 AM
Tell me John, you got the market cornered on DNA don't cha?? On a more serious note why not use a 5gal bucket and reuse the DNA? I do that on small pieces and it seems to work. (my bottle caps)

John Hart
02-17-2006, 7:30 AM
Tell me John, you got the market cornered on DNA don't cha?? On a more serious note why not use a 5gal bucket and reuse the DNA? I do that on small pieces and it seems to work. (my bottle caps)

Howdy Jim. I like to use a trash bag and shavings for a couple of reasons. First off, that method allows me to have more than one piece soaking at a time. I can put the boxes out of the way and let them soak for more than a day that way. The other reason is the smell. The trash bag seals up real good. I don't use DNA for my soaking because it is too expensive. I get 99% pure Isoprophyl Alcohol (IPA) from work for free. The problem with IPA is that it has a strong odor that wafts through the house, but the trash bag keeps that in check.
On a side note, I'm getting the feeling that IPA is more effective than DNA. It seems to be more absorbant.

Dick Parr
02-17-2006, 8:12 AM
Congrats George on the piece of wood. That should make for a nice project.

Great Idea on the shavings Andy.

Rich Stewart
02-17-2006, 9:15 AM
Why doncha start selling the stuff John? Is it available to the general public anywhere? I have heard that DNA loses something everytime you soak something so pieces need to be soaked longer and longer each time it is used.

John Hart
02-17-2006, 9:25 AM
Why doncha start selling the stuff John? Is it available to the general public anywhere? I have heard that DNA loses something everytime you soak something so pieces need to be soaked longer and longer each time it is used.

I thought that I could share with everyone....but it ends up that the HazMat charges plus shipping and containers would defeat the cost savings. It's a shame too because it's great. We should figure out a way though. The IPA that you can buy in the store is mostly water so you can't really use it to dry wood. :cool:

John Miliunas
02-17-2006, 11:44 AM
"What a guy"??? Yeah, I been trying to figure that out for some time now about that Andy character!!!:rolleyes: All I've come up with is, I wish to heck I knew a few more "what a guy"-s like that!!! :D Enjoy the Hickory George! And as for you, Andy, thanks again for reinforcing my own belief that people really are pretty good animals to have around this Earth! :D :cool: