PDA

View Full Version : A Little Something In Rock Wood -- Corian

Bill Stevener
02-16-2006, 10:28 PM
Hi Gang,

Received a box of assorted colors, if I may, of Corian today.

First for me on the lathe, this stuff really turns great. Looks like all types of stone, granite, slate, what have you.
Picked out a piece, looks something like sand stone. I will find out how well it goes over in the mini market.

If you do pens, I would say it's worth a try, very easy to work with.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

John Hart
02-16-2006, 10:42 PM
Nice Bill. I gotta give that a try. I have some corian that was given to me as a gift. Maybe you'll put me over the edge.

Bill Stevener
02-16-2006, 10:45 PM
Nice Bill. I gotta give that a try. I have some corian that was given to me as a gift. Maybe you'll put me over the edge.

I really doubt that ------------:D

Bill.>>>>>>>>>:)

George Conklin
02-16-2006, 10:52 PM
That's really neat, Bill. I'm going to have to give that a whirl some time.

George

Bernie Weishapl
02-16-2006, 11:15 PM
Cool Bill. Going to have to give it a try.

Gary DeWitt
02-17-2006, 2:19 AM
Nice little piece, Bill. I've had an interest in corian, but shied away from the one supplier I could find, as their price was around $25/sq. foot!
Where'd you get yours?

Bill Stevener
02-17-2006, 1:48 PM
Hi Gary,

Several sources to try:

Our own MR. Keith Outten.

Mr. Ken Dolph, has tons, like in real pounds. Sells by the pound, can be found over in the Freedom Pens forum.

You may wish to try DuPont -- www.coriansamples.com (http://www.coriansamples.com) they have 4" x 4" samples at $2.00 ea. comes to about $18.00 sq. ft.

Corian is not cheep, wait till you price the glue:eek: , but it goes a long way.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Kurt Rosenzweig
02-17-2006, 1:57 PM
I'd try a counter top place! They must have tons of cut offs that are useless to them!

Keith Burns
02-17-2006, 2:05 PM
Great looing mini Bill. I've done probably 200 pens in corian and it produces a great product. Dulls tool quickly. May have to try a mini:D

Bill Stevener
02-17-2006, 3:46 PM
I'd try a counter top place! They must have tons of cut offs that are useless to them!

Others already have the market on the scraps, although there may be one left some place.:confused:

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Chris Barton
02-17-2006, 4:06 PM
Nice piece Bill. I have turned some pens in Corian and it is a good turning substrate but, it is very hard on tools and requires a sharp edge.

Corey Hallagan
02-17-2006, 8:28 PM
Great looking itty bitty. I just don't see how it is possible to turn stuff like stone, but hey, if it works!

Corey

Ernie Nyvall
02-17-2006, 9:49 PM
Cool Bill. I'll bet there are a few counter top people in Houston. I may give them a try.

Ernie

Gary DeWitt
02-20-2006, 8:36 PM
Bill - thanks for the sources, I'll give them a try. I did try turning some acrylic awhile back, it's nice turning something that doesn't need any finish, just a really good sand and buff.

Bill Stevener
02-20-2006, 9:22 PM
Bill - thanks for the sources, I'll give them a try. I did try turning some acrylic awhile back, it's nice turning something that doesn't need any finish, just a really good sand and buff.

Well, should help some, just a few I am aware of. The Corian turns quite well, doesnt mat up in a cotton candy ball like the acrylic, although still has that static property.
I posted some mini turnings of the Corian on the unmentionable auction channel. So far from my involvement with the mines and sales of the same, the public has not been very responsive to the Corian. I may know more tomorrow. The turnings, as far as I have seen, are the first mimes presented in Corian. The mine market seems to be in somewhat of a slump the last week. Could be just the turnings I presented. Some mini turnings as small as 1/2" tall are bringing as much as from $40.00 to +$70.00 ea. turned in acrylic, that seems to do quite well, if the Corian remains in a slump, I may just stay with the woods and acrylic.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-20-2006, 10:11 PM
Another great piece, Bill. I use Corian on ALL of my Freedom Pens and enjoy working with it.

Bruce

Jim Dunn
02-20-2006, 10:21 PM
Bill each piece gets prettier and prettier and smaller too. I'm going to need a stronger perscription for my reading glasses to see the next one.