PDA

View Full Version : Found some wood today

John Hart
02-16-2006, 6:42 PM
I took the day off from work and went a huntin'. Found a bunch of figured maple and figured cherry....along with some regular ol' maple and some regular ol' cherry....oh and some Flaming Ambrosia Maple too! Spent most of the afternoon with the chainsaw, makin' blanks. It was a gooood day!!:)

Here's the pile of lumber

This is Some Figured Cherry and Spalted Cherry.
The Blanks are 9X9X5

These are Figured Cherry
The Blanks are 10X10X6

These are the flaming ambrosia maple
They are 7X7X6

The whole family wanted to help. Which was great!!!
They volunteered to do the sealing.
They'll do anything to get out of school :rolleyes:

Corey Hallagan
02-16-2006, 6:52 PM
Lucky dog! Excellent supply there John, can't wait to see what you turn out of this!

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
02-16-2006, 6:53 PM
Looks great John. Congrats. Wish I could find wood like that around here. Don't you just love it when the family jumps in. That is great.

Keith Burns
02-16-2006, 7:11 PM
Ain't no slackin for you is there John:) Great bunch of wood. Now go get busy on your IT:D

John Hart
02-16-2006, 7:20 PM
Ain't no slackin for you is there John:) Great bunch of wood. Now go get busy on your IT:D

Almost there!! Got all the parts turned and finished. Assembling tonight!!

Keith Burns
02-16-2006, 7:22 PM
Almost there!! Got all the parts turned and finished. Assembling tonight!!

Can't wait to see it:) :)

Jim Dunn
02-16-2006, 7:23 PM
OH OH I need some of that. I need a place for my tootsies. Do I have to turn barefooted?

Keith Christopher
02-16-2006, 7:30 PM
Oh don't think John stumbles upon this wood, oh no he's like a blood hound....

John did you manage to get any of that tulipwood from that yard ?

John Hart
02-16-2006, 7:49 PM
Jim...I never turn barefooted...My skew fell on my foot one day and told me that it might not be such a good idea! Try filling your shoes with shavings!!:D

Keith C....Nope...never made it back to the Tulipwood. Since your visit, today is the first wood run I've done. Too busy I reckon. By the way, your pile of wood is doing well. Sometimes late at night, I think I hear it calling your name!:)

John Miliunas
02-16-2006, 8:07 PM
Dang it, John! It's no wonder I have no luck finding stuff like that...YOU snagged all the luck! :mad: Great score, my friend! :D :cool:

John Shuk
02-16-2006, 8:07 PM
The Anchorseal people be lovin them some John Hart! Nice haul.

Andy Hoyt
02-16-2006, 8:21 PM
Eye Candy. Pass the maple syrup please.

George Conklin
02-16-2006, 8:46 PM
Oh Man! What a haul!!!

Hey! Your dog is slackinig! I don't see him helping on the anchorseal team:D .

You're a lucky man.

George

John Shuk
02-16-2006, 8:47 PM
Oh Man! What a haul!!!

You're a lucky man.

George
Yeah soak his tail, back him up to a pile and give his ears a scratch!

Jim Ketron
02-16-2006, 8:49 PM
Nice haul John!

Travis Stinson
02-16-2006, 8:55 PM
Nice haul indeed!
Now tell the truth, what else did you have to do to get the kids to help out?:confused:

John Hart
02-16-2006, 8:56 PM
Oh Man! What a haul!!!

You're a lucky man.

George

Guess what...German Shepherds think that anchorseal is tastey! Duncan's nose was completely white and she kept licking it off the concrete. Goofy mutt.:rolleyes:

John Miliunas
02-16-2006, 8:56 PM
Oh Man! What a haul!!!

Hey! Your dog is slackinig! I don't see him helping on the anchorseal team .

George

Shhhhhhhh!!! The girls shooo'd the dog away! They're all pitching in, whilst thinking, "This will earn us a horse fer sure!" :D :cool:

John Hart
02-16-2006, 8:58 PM
Nice haul indeed!
Now tell the truth, what else did you have to do to get the kids to help out?:confused:

Ok ok...I told them that I would give them 10 cents per blank. They even turned off the TV!:)

Jim Dunn
02-16-2006, 8:58 PM
John on a serious note, is anchor seal safe for doggy's?? If it isn't you'll have a horse for sure.

John Hart
02-16-2006, 8:59 PM
Shhhhhhhh!!! The girls shooo'd the dog away! They're all pitching in, whilst thinking, "This will earn us a horse fer sure!" :D :cool:

neigh! neigh!!:D

Jeff Singleton
02-16-2006, 9:01 PM
Mother Nature has been very nice to you indeed. I bet you wish that was all stacked at the new shop.

Happy Splinters,
Jeff Singleton:)

John Miliunas
02-16-2006, 9:01 PM
neigh! neigh!!:D

10 cents a blank? You're a good Dad, John! At the rate you bring that stuff home, they'll have enough saved up for a horse in no time!!!:D :D :D :cool:

John Hart
02-16-2006, 9:08 PM
John on a serious note, is anchor seal safe for doggy's?? If it isn't you'll have a horse for sure.

Jim...I just ran over to the Ucoatings site to check for an MSDS. Didn't find one. It just says that it's non toxic and environmentally friendly. It's a water based wax emulsion so I don't think there's a problem. But you got me thinkin'!!! Thanks

John Hart
02-16-2006, 9:10 PM
Mother Nature has been very nice to you indeed. I bet you wish that was all stacked at the new shop.

Happy Splinters,
Jeff Singleton:)

Oh yeah...no doubt about that. The wait is killing me Jeff.

Corey Hallagan
02-16-2006, 9:17 PM
Is ambrosia maple actually a species of maple or does it reference a type of spalting?

Corey

Mike Ramsey
02-16-2006, 9:21 PM
Seen the post and hated to look but couldn't help myself....nice haul
John!!

Jim Becker
02-16-2006, 9:25 PM
Jim...I never turn barefooted...My skew fell on my foot one day and told me that it might not be such a good idea!

Yet another reason to ban the evil skew from existence! :)

------
Nice haul on the pre-packaged cellulose products, John!

John Hart
02-16-2006, 9:37 PM
Is ambrosia maple actually a species of maple or does it reference a type of spalting?

Corey

Nope...The ambrosia part is the result of a stain caused by the infiltration of the Ambrosia Beetle. They'll bore into the wood and the multi-colored stain is the result of their....um....living there.;) You'll notice on any ambrosia maple, there are bore holes near the staining. It's beautiful stuff. That's one bug that does nice art!

Dick Parr
02-16-2006, 9:39 PM
Great haul John......:D

Jim Dunn
02-16-2006, 9:42 PM
It's a water based wax emulsion so I don't think there's a problem. But you got me thinkin'!!! Thanks

Just wait till tomorrow. What with the waxy build up, you better beat your dog to the door, or you'll be cleaning the foyer:eek::eek::p

Nice job your workers are doing. I'd have had to threaten my boys with great bodily harm to get them to help.:o

Corey Hallagan
02-16-2006, 9:54 PM
LOL... well great, isn't that nice. Well it looks cool, does it require special crud deflector or anything like some of that other stuff you have turned :)

Corey

John Hart
02-16-2006, 10:01 PM
LOL... well great, isn't that nice. Well it looks cool, does it require special crud deflector or anything like some of that other stuff you have turned :) Corey

heh heh...naw Corey. Ambrosia Maple is very clean. I've never even seen one of the beetles. You'll like it.:) You should do a search for some of the posts that others have done. Jim Ketron has some great pieces that really show it off.

Glenn Hodges
02-17-2006, 7:43 AM
I sure wish we had that kind of maple down here. As usual you did good.

Gary Max
02-17-2006, 8:12 AM
Hey John I have a MSDS from Anchorseal

Ingestion--- Not expected to be acutely toxic. May cause irritation of digestive tract

You may have to run the dog off next time.

John Hart
02-17-2006, 2:48 PM
She was fine this morning...in fact, she was very happy! Maybe I should give her a bowl of it!!:D

Ernie Nyvall
02-17-2006, 10:32 PM
John, I like your kind of huntin. I mean when I go find a downed tree, it's still got limbs, bark, etc. Your trees fall into nice stacks of lumber. I want to learn how to hunt better.:D

I think we need a "Tree Huntin" video by John Hart.

Ernie

Mike Ramsey
02-17-2006, 10:45 PM
Seen this on the net today, A house near cleveland collapsed. Seems a vandal or vandals ran off with several major support beams made of Maple & cherry that was holding the house up!
John, don't you live in Cleveland?

John Hart
02-17-2006, 10:48 PM
ummmm....IT WASN'T ME!!!!

Well...maybe...I don't remember.

Where's my lacquer?:)

John Hart
02-17-2006, 10:50 PM
I think we need a "Tree Huntin" video by John Hart.....

Hey Maybe I oughta do that!

I had fun. It was all free too!;)

Barry Stratton
02-18-2006, 12:27 AM
That is an amazing haul - and free???? Man, I've got to move. And what is up with NO SNOW in your pictures? Don't you lower 48 types get winter? I mean, it is February........

Still waiting for my baby lathe......

Keith Christopher
02-18-2006, 11:50 AM
Jim...I never turn barefooted...My skew fell on my foot one day and told me that it might not be such a good idea! Try filling your shoes with shavings!!:D

Keith C....Nope...never made it back to the Tulipwood. Since your visit, today is the first wood run I've done. Too busy I reckon. By the way, your pile of wood is doing well. Sometimes late at night, I think I hear it calling your name!:)

Oh I'll be back soon to get it. :)