PDA

View Full Version : Lookin' for a rotary attatchment

Pamela Panik
02-16-2006, 4:23 PM
Hi,

I'm new to lasering, I have a 40 watt Spirit. I'd like to get into doing some rotary work, but I don't want to spend a lot to get the tool. I have been a bit of a voyeur, watching you guys write back and forth, and I noticed some of you had purchased the attatchment and never used it. I'm hoping that I can bribe one of you with either a Pinnacle or LaserPro, basically a GCC Laser, to give me a great deal on the one you don't want.

I don't know if there's a classified section that I haven't found on this site, but it surewould be nice to see one!

Thanks

Pamela

Joe Pelonio
02-16-2006, 5:33 PM
The Woodworkers Classifieds section is for that, though you'll probably get to more laser people in this forum.

Pete Simmons
02-16-2006, 5:41 PM
I am looking for a Epilog Rotary for a Mini-18.

I think they ( Epilog Rotarys ) are all the same regardless of Epilog model, but I would make sure before buying.

I know they do not interchange between manufacturers.

Pete

Rodne Gold
02-17-2006, 12:28 AM
I have 3 of them and use only one occasionally , however I am in south Africa so getting it out the country to you would be a mission and most likely quite expensive , we are waiting to get our three new spirits to compliment our exisiting Explorers and if they do come with rotarys , I would be willing to let one go at a nominal price.
What are your thoughts on the spirit especially the smart box , we have been told by our dealer that the smart box is a mission to work with and using the honeycomb tables is a better option.
PS the rotary attachment of the GCC is not fantastic , it does work ok tho , but is not the easiest to use , if you do get one , change the clamp system if you can , the cone and disk make it very difficult to centre stuff.
I did hear the Gcc was developing a new rotary attachment (heard that for the last year , but so far no new news) and I also heard rumours of an optical crop mark recognition type add on which would be a HUGE aid to open up some great possibilites in terms of digital printing and die cutting (labels , cards , fabrics etc etc ) as the biggest problem is to register such stuff in a laser for cutting.

David Barron
02-17-2006, 9:40 AM
Rodne,

Just curious: Are you planning to get Spirits or Spirit GEs?

Dave

Rodne Gold
02-17-2006, 10:06 AM
Normal spirit , 25 w with synrad tubes , workhorse type lasers.
We have some large runs that use both engraving and cutting on 1/8th pex , gonna use em for that. We thought about a single larger more potent machine , but I prefer to have 3 "plodders"

Pamela Panik
02-23-2006, 5:44 PM
Rodney,

I really enjoy working with the Spirit. I had a couple of kinks to work out, but I was very happy with the service I received with both LaserPro and GCC. They were willing to go the extra mile to make sure that I was happy. I am still getting my feet wet, working with the laser, but it's great work. I think that you were the one who actually sold me on working with GCC, you are right, nothing can replace good customer service, especially when I am such a novice. I really enjoy when you post, you really are a pro when it comes to the laser and I can get great information from you when you answer questions for people. I don't have the smart board to work with, so I can't give you any information. Thanks again for all the great comments. If you do end up with extra rotary attachments, please feel free to contact me. Maybe we could work something out.

Pamela

George M. Perzel
02-24-2006, 7:41 AM
Hi Pamela;
Where are you located? I have an Mercury with a rotary attachment which I seldom use-may be able to lend it to you for awhile to play with to make sure it fits your needs-not sure if I want to sell it at this point,
George

Pamela Panik
02-24-2006, 1:00 PM
George,
I am in Grand Rapids, Michigan. That would be wonderful to just try it to see if it's what I want. I'm pretty sure I would like to use it. I tried doing some mugs without it and they were pretty much a bust, however, I'm not sure I want to spend a grand to just do mugs, I thought maybe if I got some other ideas about what I could use it for... so I've been kind of hunting for things to use it on to make sure I'd get my moneys worth.
Thanks for the offer, I might take you up on it!

Pamela

Michael Wells
03-09-2006, 2:08 PM
Louis at LaserPro told me that the cheaper rotary attachment for the Mercury model is the same or would work the same as the more expensive attachment for the Explorer model.

Does anybody know if that really works? LaserPro sells the Explorer rig for almost double what Signwarehouse sells the Mercury attachment for.

Lend me your knowledge, before I make a $500. mistake, and have to hunt down Louis in Las Vegas!!
Michael

Rodne Gold
03-09-2006, 3:08 PM
It's the same attachment , Gcc only make one type that fits all platforms.